Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 45,249 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how to update rom and kernel?

Tip us?

Thunderbolt8
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default how to update rom and kernel?

been about 2 years since I last update my I9000, I dont know what to do any more. does anyone have any instructions?

I am on a gingerbread 2.3.6 and F1 Galaxy SII mod and now want to update to Kitkat 4.4.2 C-Rom with Semaphore 3.4.3 kernel

I have downloaded the rom and the kernel zip files and I have odin 1.85. but I dont know what I have to do now any more. do I have to use odin to flash the kernel now? how do I do that again, I dont know what all the different buttons mean in odin.
do I then have to copy the rom onto the sdcard and install from there? and what needs to be wiped?

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
do I then have to copy the rom onto the sdcard and install from there? and what needs to be wiped?
This should help you the normal procedures for upgrading or downgrading

[Tutorial] How to Unbrick, Flash, Downgrade, Root, Update i9000 from Froyo to Kit Kat

laxar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If you already have cwm recovery just put the files on your phone, then make a backup of your apps/contacts, do a full wipe (factory reset) and flash CM11(I think it's safer to flash cm 11 first). Then flash kitkat rom, kitkat kernel & gapps you want !