MTP Application Crashing

OP spenceee

13th July 2010, 04:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 0

42 posts
More
Where would I start to troubleshoot an issue with the MTP Application?

If I select the Media Player or Kies options, the MTP Application continually crashes and restarts every second.

I have connected the device in USB Debugging mode, then reconnected again and it still does it.

I've done the driver installation in the kies application and I've reset both the PC and the phone, behaviour is consistent. Kind of frustrating as I can't upload media (DRM....).

IF anyone has advice on where I could start troubleshooting this issue I would greatly appreciate it

More info:

Win Vista 32Bit
Stock galaxy S as delivered from the shop EDIT: I9000DTJF3
Kies 1.5.1.10071_32
Last edited by spenceee; 13th July 2010 at 04:11 PM.
13th July 2010, 04:37 PM   |  #2  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 1

72 posts
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceee

Where would I start to troubleshoot an issue with the MTP Application?

If I select the Media Player or Kies options, the MTP Application continually crashes and restarts every second.

I have connected the device in USB Debugging mode, then reconnected again and it still does it.

I've done the driver installation in the kies application and I've reset both the PC and the phone, behaviour is consistent. Kind of frustrating as I can't upload media (DRM....).

IF anyone has advice on where I could start troubleshooting this issue I would greatly appreciate it

More info:

Win Vista 32Bit
Stock galaxy S as delivered from the shop EDIT: I9000DTJF3
Kies 1.5.1.10071_32

Here is a fix my friend but say goodbye to your saved games and files..

[try transferring or backup your files using wifi or bluetooth in case you have important files on your phone]

[and also, try to backup your phone contacts to your sim because formatting will wipe your entire phone's data]

Once that is done, try to do the following.. go to Settings -> SD card and Phone Storage -> Unmount SD -> Format SD

Once you have formatted the SD card, go to Settings -> Privacy and then choose "Factory Data Reset".

Your phone should now be detected once you connect it to your computer this time around.

Hope this helps.
13th July 2010, 04:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

42 posts
More
I've done this once before. I spent a significant amount of time getting the right data under my contacts and linking them properly, I need to know how to find out why kies is borked. Otherwise I'll wipe the phone and possibly be stuck in the same situation again.

Have you had this issue occur and this fixed it though?
13th July 2010, 11:13 PM   |  #4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 23

1,368 posts
More
I had similar problem. Tried everything you mentioned and nothing helped.

In the end I formated externas SD card. Flashed SG1 firmware and rooted the device (all done in a matter of 30 min).

It fixed the MTP aplication crashes (dont know what of three really did it).
18th July 2010, 11:46 AM   |  #5  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 17

131 posts
More
I'd been having the same problem on my Galaxy S.
It had been working fine, and I've done nothing to the phone to change anything with it.

Just opened the MTP App on the phone, then just crash, restart, crash etc and kept looping like that.
(Mines the Optus AU version too - might be a problem with something on there?)

Anyways I used the WebSharing app to download all my files to a zip on my computer, then unmounted and formatted the internal SD card - and then rebooted the phone.
Once it rebooted, moved the zip files (unzipped) back onto the internal SD as they were originally and plugged into the USB and it all worked again.
Last edited by br3tty; 18th July 2010 at 12:03 PM.
18th August 2010, 04:55 PM   |  #6  

8 posts
Hello everyone, I'm new here and own a Galaxy S now for two weeks. Yesterday I to noticed/encountered the rebooting mtp application when plugging in the cable while the USB settings are set to 'connect to Kies'.

To be short I tried all offered solutions found on this topic on the web and in the end only the unmounting and formatting of the INTERNAL sd has helpt.

I made a backup via Websharing since selecting the 'mass storage' option didn't work for me yesterday. Obviously this is a slow way to make a backup. Try to only back-up what you deem to be imported files.

So the unmounting - formatting and rebooting (mounting) of the INTERNAL cards is the quickest solution and will safe you hours of work!

HOWEVER
Today I had the same rebooting MTP issue again. But since re-installing kies version 1.5.1.10083 I'm able to connect to the pc via 'Mass Storage'
You will see drive F: and drive G: if you at least succeed in connecting via the mass storage option.

I than did 2 things:

I recently made some pictures and also copied some pictures from my pc to the G: drive ( INTERNAL SD) I renamed the pictures to short names so they didn't exceed 16 characters (one of the solutions I read online ).

In the map data I found folders with the names of in my case Touiteur and Beautiful Widgets. Both folders contain a CACHE folder. I deleted the complete touiteur folder and thus also its CACHE folder.

Now I connected my Galaxy S to the usb cable again and behold, the rebooting of the MTP has stopped!

Now I'm not technical at all and have struggled with this issue the whole of yesterday ending up formatting my internal SD. And to be honest I don't know for sure what the working solution is in the end but can narrow it down to 2 things you may try if you can connect via the 'mass storage' option:

1. try giving pictures in G:\DCIM\folder name a short name if they are long or try to remove the pictures completely (make backup) just to see if either of this works.

2. Delete the CACHE folders in the APP folder under G:\data and see if this works

Again, I'm unsure what or why I solved it on my Galaxy S but give it a try if you have tried everthing else and do not want to format your INTERNAL SD
18th August 2010, 07:35 PM   |  #7  

1 posts
I've got a fix
Alright guys, I posted a video on how to repair the MTP application problem, especially for you spencee, check it out. Go to youtube and copy paste: MTP Application Crash Fix. And click the first one. It's by abrar447. Hope this helps!
22nd August 2010, 07:47 PM   |  #8  

8 posts
Ok, I'm having this issue again! I watched the video by Abrar447 and deleted every single file in cash I could find ( actually did a search on the word 'cache' on the internal drive. Although I know this should now work my TMP application keeps rebooting. Am I missing something here ?
23rd August 2010, 02:09 AM   |  #9  

71 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman97

Alright guys, I posted a video on how to repair the MTP application problem, especially for you spencee, check it out. Go to youtube and copy paste: MTP Application Crash Fix. And click the first one. It's by abrar447. Hope this helps!

Thanks again for posting this video. It actually worked for me, been trying to find the solution to that MTP crashing problem when trying to connect in Kies mode.
23rd August 2010, 03:41 AM   |  #10  

1 posts
narrowed it down
I have this problem too. I saw the youtube vid and decided i'd delete one cache folder a time to see what was causing the problem. Found out that is was 'Sound Hound'. So i deleted the cache folder, MTP worked, then i used the app so it would create another cache folder, MTP clashed. Did it many times.

Hope this helps.

Aussi Optus
DTJG4
Root + One Click Lag fix

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread