Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 52,128 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The *toad roms

Tip us?
 
hardy81
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 211
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default The *toad roms

I have all kinds of Android devices and I use Cyanogenmod on all of them. I like to have the same exact system on each; saves me time, to have to learn only one. Plus I very much like CM.

But on this device, for some reason, most of the development effort seems to go to the *toad releases. Could someone elaborate why? Secondly, why use a *toad instead of the "real" Cyanogenmod?
 
REV3NT3CH
Old
#2  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,860
Posts: 2,152
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oroville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy81 View Post
I have all kinds of Android devices and I use Cyanogenmod on all of them. I like to have the same exact system on each; saves me time, to have to learn only one. Plus I very much like CM.

But on this device, for some reason, most of the development effort seems to go to the *toad releases. Could someone elaborate why? Secondly, why use a *toad instead of the "real" Cyanogenmod?
Because the official releases are posted in the CyanogenMod website under downloads>official devices...the device maintainer for cm on apexqtmo was also banned from xda

Sent from my R3L4Y 4G using xda-developers app
☢ LG G2 ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: NewBeta Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
☢ SGS Relay 4g ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: B14CKB1RD v2.2 beta Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ HTC ReZound ☢
HBOOT: 2.28, Unlocked, S-Off, 2.23 radios Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0 (Masque Of The Red Death)

Donations are never expected but are greatly appreciated
 
Magamo
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 225
Posts: 254
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ummm, What? The official device maintainer for CM is @Nardholio who is definitely still here.

The HypnoToad images started as TeamApexQ's test bed, as time went on, there were tweaks that were made that were not accepted by CM for one reason or another, but we liked them. They became part of our internal builds, which as that stabilized and diverged more from CyanogenMod, we made available as FatToad. OmniToad is based on Omnirom, not CyanogenMod. The majority of TeamApexQ likes the Omni base better, so that has become our development platform.

One of the tweaks that are part of FatToad have bitrotted a bit, and the developer of that tweak has moved on to OmniToad, and has no intention of going back and maintaining said tweak, so FatToad likely will not be seeing any more releases.

Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.
TeamApexQ -- irc.freenode.net/#apexqtmo
The Following User Says Thank You to Magamo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Nardholio
Old
#4  
Nardholio's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 749
Posts: 699
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magamo View Post
Ummm, What? The official device maintainer for CM is @Nardholio who is definitely still here.

The HypnoToad images started as TeamApexQ's test bed, as time went on, there were tweaks that were made that were not accepted by CM for one reason or another, but we liked them. They became part of our internal builds, which as that stabilized and diverged more from CyanogenMod, we made available as FatToad. OmniToad is based on Omnirom, not CyanogenMod. The majority of TeamApexQ likes the Omni base better, so that has become our development platform.

One of the tweaks that are part of FatToad have bitrotted a bit, and the developer of that tweak has moved on to OmniToad, and has no intention of going back and maintaining said tweak, so FatToad likely will not be seeing any more releases.

Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.
XDA refuses to ban me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nardholio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
REV3NT3CH
Old
#5  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,860
Posts: 2,152
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oroville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardholio View Post
XDA refuses to ban me
i thought it was lbcoder....well thats what i was told anyway....grats on being a good maintainer Nard
☢ LG G2 ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: NewBeta Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
☢ SGS Relay 4g ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: B14CKB1RD v2.2 beta Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ HTC ReZound ☢
HBOOT: 2.28, Unlocked, S-Off, 2.23 radios Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0 (Masque Of The Red Death)

Donations are never expected but are greatly appreciated
 
pretfish
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default hi

The difference between the original ROM and Kastvm
 
hardy81
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 211
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magamo View Post
Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.
This is good to hear. Programmers of free software tend to jump ship pretty quickly and get bored with anything that is not new & cool. But Cyanogenmod should be seen as cool, since it's just awesome to have the same system on so many devices.

Thanks for the clarifications.
 
REV3NT3CH
Old
#8  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,860
Posts: 2,152
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oroville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy81 View Post
This is good to hear. Programmers of free software tend to jump ship pretty quickly and get bored with anything that is not new & cool. But Cyanogenmod should be seen as cool, since it's just awesome to have the same system on so many devices.

Thanks for the clarifications.
As a very agreeable argument...the same could go for other great ROMs too and not just CyanogenMod..just takes developers to bring em to the device including CM...to each his own and that's why there is a variety to choose from

Sent from my R3L4Y 4G using xda-developers app
☢ LG G2 ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: NewBeta Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
☢ SGS Relay 4g ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: B14CKB1RD v2.2 beta Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ HTC ReZound ☢
HBOOT: 2.28, Unlocked, S-Off, 2.23 radios Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0 (Masque Of The Red Death)

Donations are never expected but are greatly appreciated

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android App Review: Control Your Phone with Quick Control Panel – XDA Developer TV

Your Android smart device has many features that you … more

Play Music on Android Wear with Stellio Music Player

Android Wear smartwatchesare growing inpopularity every day. Some devices have already … more

Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more

aLogcat Returns Thanks to XDA Love

The developers of Android, that is Google, gave users several great debugging tools that can be used in … more