Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Governors & I/O schedulers?

OP Player-J

23rd March 2014, 04:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis, MO
Thanks Meter: 29

79 posts
More
Please forgive me for asking, if this has already been answered. Question for the Devs... Will any future releases (kernel only, or ROM) include a wider selection of governors and i/o schedulers, or is this device limited to the ones already available for some reason?

Coming over from HTC Glacier and Doubleshot, there were more choices than I knew what to do with. This is my first Samsung device.

Not that I'm complaining, I've found a combination that works good for me. I just wanted to know.

By the way - you guys are doing some great work over here. I'm loving this phone. Thanks!
23rd March 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,958

6,101 posts
More
This would be done on the kernel level and it is certainly possible to add more options but doing so can make things less stable.
If there is something you think may work better you could ask a dev if implementing has been tried and what the result is otherwise the main kernel source is available on github and there are many guides to build yourself and test

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th March 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis, MO

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

This would be done on the kernel level and it is certainly possible to add more options but doing so can make things less stable.
If there is something you think may work better you could ask a dev if implementing has been tried and what the result is otherwise the main kernel source is available on github and there are many guides to build yourself and test

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'm sure the devs have sound reasoning behind their choices. I was just curious to find out if it was something device specific, as opposed to dev preference. I don't know that I would go so far, as to tamper with the kernel source myself. I don't have those skills yet. I may look into that in the future. I'm always willing to learn.
24th March 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #4  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 167

490 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadrt09

Please forgive me for asking, if this has already been answered. Question for the Devs... Will any future releases (kernel only, or ROM) include a wider selection of governors and i/o schedulers, or is this device limited to the ones already available for some reason?

Coming over from HTC Glacier and Doubleshot, there were more choices than I knew what to do with. This is my first Samsung device.

Not that I'm complaining, I've found a combination that works good for me. I just wanted to know.

By the way - you guys are doing some great work over here. I'm loving this phone. Thanks!

Hit the app store and grab CPU Tuner, you might find it's got what you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to yohan4ws For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis, MO

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan4ws

Hit the app store and grab CPU Tuner, you might find it's got what you need.

Thanks, I'll check that one out but I believe that apps like that will only allow you to select from the governors and schedulers that are available in the kernel itself - not implement one that isn't there. I'd like to try out intellidemand, or smartassV2 with this device.

Right now, I'm using the interactive governor & sio. Then using SetCPU with profiles for screen-off, screen-on, and charging. This is kind of giving me the results I wanted. Sort of gives me an interactiveX, I guess? SetCPU doesn't show me both cores, so I really don't know. Also have tried Kernel Tuner and Trickster with mixed results.
24th March 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis, MO

79 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks, I'll check that one out but I believe that apps like that will only allow you to select from the governors and schedulers that are available in the kernel itself - not implement one that isn't there. I'd like to try out intellidemand, or smartassV2 with this device.

Right now, I'm using the interactive governor & sio. Then using SetCPU with profiles for screen-off, screen-on, and charging. This is kind of giving me the results I wanted. Sort of gives me an interactiveX, I guess? SetCPU doesn't show me both cores, so I really don't know. Also have tried Kernel Tuner and Trickster with mixed results.

Just downloaded CPU Tuner. This appears to be a better alternative to the other ones I've tried. I can get what I want without trying to mess with the kernel. Gonna run the "Sophisticated" config + Performance profile for a while and see how it goes. Thanks!
Last edited by Player-J; 24th March 2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
27th March 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 5,068

2,787 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

my roms have more freedom of the kernel with this...current governors in my builds are: conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersave, interactive, and performance. Current I/O schedulers are noop, deadline, row, cfq, and sio. i will be exapanding on this soon but sio and interactive or sio and ondemand have given the bast stability for me.
27th March 2014, 08:34 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis, MO

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH

my roms have more freedom of the kernel with this...current governors in my builds are: conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersave, interactive, and performance. Current I/O schedulers are noop, deadline, row, cfq, and sio. i will be exapanding on this soon but sio and interactive or sio and ondemand have given the bast stability for me.

I've been running your Carbon ROM for a little while and I've been pretty pleased with it. I've settled on the interactive and sio combination but I wanted to have a little more control. Most of the time I just text and do a little web browsing, so I want to extend battery life. But I have access to a lot of wi-fi hotspots, so then I can plug in for some gaming or Netflix. It's nice to have the performance amped up then. I seemed to have good results with intellidemand and smartass variations on my other phones.

I appreciate your work, thanks!
27th March 2014, 08:54 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 5,068

2,787 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I've been running your Carbon ROM for a little while and I've been pretty pleased with it. I've settled on the interactive and sio combination but I wanted to have a little more control. Most of the time I just text and do a little web browsing, so I want to extend battery life. But I have access to a lot of wi-fi hotspots, so then I can plug in for some gaming or Netflix. It's nice to have the performance amped up then. I seemed to have good results with intellidemand and smartass variations on my other phones.

I appreciate your work, thanks!

your very welcome...as ive stated before i will be adding some more here soon. i have a couple of new rom builds im working on and an update to another...i definitely need to work on the kernel as ive done little patches here and there but nothing too big....think within the next few weeks ill do a big update to it and update all my roms with it
27th March 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #10  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 859

724 posts
Donate to Me
More
Perhaps you could release a flashable kernel for people on cm?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread