Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 38,708 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Slow/unreliable gps lock and wonky compass

Tip us?

RomanHelmet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Slow/unreliable gps lock and wonky compass

Anyone else have issues getting gps lock? It will take me several minutes with a clear view of the sky sometimes. If I'm sitting in the back seat of a car I often have to press my phone right up to the window to get a good enough view of the sky and it will lose lock if I take it away from the window.

Also, the compass is all over the place and makes things like gaps walking directions almost useless.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

CravingMender9
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanHelmet View Post
Anyone else have issues getting gps lock? It will take me several minutes with a clear view of the sky sometimes. If I'm sitting in the back seat of a car I often have to press my phone right up to the window to get a good enough view of the sky and it will lose lock if I take it away from the window.

Also, the compass is all over the place and makes things like gaps walking directions almost useless.

Are youon kitkat? If so, Pls check the 4.4.2 update thread in the general forum where we have a new stock image with fixed gps and battery. See if it applies to your case.
Note 3, You Beast

Sardonik
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I've noticed the wonky compass. It will vary wildly without any rotation of the phone and, in one orienration, will flip back and forth by 180 degrees very quickly. Thought about warrantying the device, but everything else (including GPS) is solid.

I'm on 4.3.

krelvinaz
Old
Thanks Meter 546
I have to calibrate the compass occasionally but it works fine for me. GPS normally licks in 10secs or so, but I keep GPS on all the time. It only uses power when you are using an app that uses it.
Phone: TMobile - Samsung SM-900T Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Rooted/Stock - QI Wireless
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012) 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.4.4 w/TWRP Recovery
Droid Like Devices: Several ChromeCasts, Amazon Fire TV (rooted)
Link: ReZoundn EVO 4g LTE and HTC Droid DNA Splash Screen Web Generator

xgp0006
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelvinaz View Post
I have to calibrate the compass occasionally but it works fine for me. GPS normally licks in 10secs or so, but I keep GPS on all the time. It only uses power when you are using an app that uses it.
ive had a compass gps issue for a good while. thought it was the rom, then thought it could have been the case....but im thinking its just happening because i get same performance from jedi's 4.4 release....so not sure what the deal is but same issues....they gave me a gps fix that tends to kinda work.....but its not tracking fluidly and the compass just isnt staying calibrated for very long...its always looking in a different direction.....

kingofkings11
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Download and install topNTP from the play store give it root access click install at the bottom select create files and reboot.

I use this app after every rom I flash and it gives me a gps lock in literally a couple of seconds even indoors.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium HD app

siskiou
Old
Thanks Meter 3
My Note 3 doesn't lock on to GPS inside my house at all. Outside, it seems okay, most of the time.
My old HTC Dinc2 locks on without any trouble, inside or out. Not sure if I should do an exchange, since everything else works just fine.