Remove All Ads from XDA

Request: Surface 2 Recovery USB. Won't boot, flashing 'Surface' every 8 seconds

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
By John Rhamsey, Junior Member on 20th March 2014, 12:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi, so yesterday after powering my Surface 2 down (it was working fine), it no longer boots up. Instead, it will show the 'Surface' on the screen for about a second, and then the screen will go black for 8 seconds, and repeat until I turn it off or the battery dies.

I've been having a hard time finding other people with this problem, but the few I did said that sending it to MS (and getting a new one) is what they had to do. One person did say that they were able to fix the problem with a bootable Surface 2 recovery USB. I have a lot of work on my surface that I don't have copies of, and would really like to be able to save those files.

Things I have tried: Holding the power button with a combination of volume rocker/home key. Holding the power button for 20 seconds followed by 2 seconds off and on. I have fully charged it and know it has enough battery.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
23rd March 2014, 01:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0
Hi John,

What was the solution to fi this problem?

I encounter the same problem.

28th March 2014, 09:16 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 70
You should be saving your stuff to your OneDrive...anywho

If you have a USB recovery drive, you could try booting from it and doing a refresh,(NOT a reset) that would keep your files.

If you don't have a USB recovery drive you could make one using the 8.1 RTM ISO, I wrote a how-to guide here;

or you could download one here;
(I think that one is for the UK, but that shouldn't matter, just do a full reset from your recovery once you get your files off)

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread