Ask a question

No registration required

Charge ZL while using PS3 controller?

OP Dead Metal

9th March 2014, 12:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18

101 posts
So, I'm using one of my PS3 controllers to play games on my ZL, over cable with the gameklip. Now I have a bit of a problem, while connected, the ZL charges the controller.
Which annoys me a bit, it would be better if the controller would only use its own internal battery, or would charge the ZL.

So very basically, is it possible to make use of the PS3 controller's battery while connected to the ZL?

Thanks.
11th March 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 20

106 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Metal

So, I'm using one of my PS3 controllers to play games on my ZL, over cable with the gameklip. Now I have a bit of a problem, while connected, the ZL charges the controller.
Which annoys me a bit, it would be better if the controller would only use its own internal battery, or would charge the ZL.

So very basically, is it possible to make use of the PS3 controller's battery while connected to the ZL?

Thanks.

it is better to use a wireless ps3 controller, basically if wired, the battery of your ZL will quickly drain because it will transfer to your PS3 controller.
11th March 2014, 10:57 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhay007

it is better to use a wireless ps3 controller, basically if wired, the battery of your ZL will quickly drain because it will transfer to your PS3 controller.

That's why I'm asking if it's possible to make use of the controller's battery.
21st March 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:

I don't think the PS3 controller drains the battery of the Xperia phone or tablet that much.

That being said, you can use an official PS3 controller over Bluetooth (wireless.) The Xperia Z, ZL phones and the Sony tablets have Xperia Connectivity built-in. There's a long list of Sony devices that have Xperia connectivity too. Stay away from the knock off PS3 controllers from Wal-Mart, etc. They might be a bit cheaper, but there's no telling how well or not well they will work.

As a first time setup, you will need 2 cables: a USB On the Go cable to pair the phone or table to the controller and the mini USB cable that comes with the controller if you bought it with a PS3 system. The stand alone controllers at Best Buy, etc. do not have this cable. You can find USB on OTG and mini usb cables pretty much anywhere like Amazon, eBay, etc.

Once you have all the parts, you go into the Settings in Android and select Xperia Connectivity and then Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller. Then follow the instructions and you're done. You don't need to connect the controller to the phone with the cables after that.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Quote:

Thanks.

How is your experience with the GameKlip and the Xperia ZL? Considering getting one myself so want to see if the GameKlip holds onto the phone snugly. I don't have a case for the phone, just so you know.
24th March 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 13

138 posts
More
Quote:

That is not how the USB interface is designed. Since the phone is the host device, the phone must be the one to supply the power according the USB spec. The reason for this is because the host device needs to power things like flash drives and hard drives.

The reason your phone charges when it is plugged into a computer is because the computer acts as the host device and has to supply power.This is why USB cables have different ends USB-A, USB-B, USB-C, etc. The connector end usually determines which device will be the host.

Hope this clarifies things.

Sent from my C6506 using xda app-developers app
27th March 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoregigs

That is not how the USB interface is designed. Since the phone is the host device, the phone must be the one to supply the power according the USB spec. The reason for this is because the host device needs to power things like flash drives and hard drives.

The reason your phone charges when it is plugged into a computer is because the computer acts as the host device and has to supply power.This is why USB cables have different ends USB-A, USB-B, USB-C, etc. The connector end usually determines which device will be the host.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks, now it makes sense. I kinda hoped there was a way of tricking the phone in viewing the controller as pocket power bank as well as a controller.
Maybe if I got a powerbank an otg cable?
27th March 2014, 10:33 PM   |  #7  

138 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks, now it makes sense. I kinda hoped there was a way of tricking the phone in viewing the controller as pocket power bank as well as a controller.
Maybe if I got a powerbank an otg cable?

You can just bluetooth pair your DS3 to the ZL and then use the powerbank as an auxiliary power source. Since the ZL is certified to be used with the DS3, you can have full control of the controller wirelessly. Did you know that once the controller is paired you can just press the PS button and it will turn on and auto pair? You can even turn off the controller from the phone's notification bar.

The powerbank should have a full sized USB port that makes it the device that supplies the power. It would be a cumbersome setup but will let you game on the go for longer.

Maybe you can stick some velcro tape to the gameklip spine and stick the powerbank to that. It will make the rig very top heavy, but if you can live with it, then it's worth a try.

27th March 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoregigs

You can just bluetooth pair your DS3 to the ZL and then use the powerbank as an auxiliary power source. Since the ZL is certified to be used with the DS3, you can have full control of the controller wirelessly. Did you know that once the controller is paired you can just press the PS button and it will turn on and auto pair? You can even turn off the controller from the phone's notification bar.

The powerbank should have a full sized USB port that makes it the device that supplies the power. It would be a cumbersome setup but will let you game on the go for longer.

Maybe you can stick some velcro tape to the gameklip spine and stick the powerbank to that. It will make the rig very top heavy, but if you can live with it, then it's worth a try.

Yea I know that, it tells you while you set it up. I would love to use the BT option with a powerbank, but the emulator I use to play roms doesn't recognize the PS3 over BT, which is just utter BS if you ask me.

I can live with it being a bit top heavy, I even have plans to attach speakers to the klip.
28th March 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #9  

138 posts
More
Quote:

Yea I know that, it tells you while you set it up. I would love to use the BT option with a powerbank, but the emulator I use to play roms doesn't recognize the PS3 over BT, which is just utter BS if you ask me.

I can live with it being a bit top heavy, I even have plans to attach speakers to the klip.

I'm still trying to picture a wiring topography that would serve your needs.

I found this and hope it will help you with your rig.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Ma...-/111312020970

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread