Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Unhappy HTC Desire Rebooting on its own

OP jonmall1441

5th May 2010, 09:34 PM   |  #1  
jonmall1441's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Thanks Meter: 12
 
333 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Hey I've had the HTC Desire for around 2 weeks now and its been awesome, well until these last couple of days. The phone for some reason keeps on rebooting on its own randomly and about 10 minutes ago it shutdown and would not power back on :S. I had to remove the battery, place it back and then it powered up (after pressing the power button).

I have not rooted the desire ... anyone know of any apps which may be causing this issue? or Any solutions for this issue?

Thanks
5th May 2010, 09:36 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 25
 
916 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
More
there are too many apps to mention which could be doing this to compatibility issues
you tell us, what apps have you installed? and more importantly which apps have you installed recently?
is your desire still rebooting now that you've taken the battery out and put it back in? or is it working now?
5th May 2010, 09:39 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
255 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Have a look at this thread ?
5th May 2010, 09:41 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 25
 
916 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfox_uk

Have a look at this thread ?

i am familiar with that thread
although he didn't mention it was an internet/apn issue

i don't suppose you've installed juice defender?
5th May 2010, 09:44 PM   |  #5  
jonmall1441's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Thanks Meter: 12
 
333 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
so recently installed apps are:

Dropbox
Spark
Light Racer 3D Basic
HTC_IME mod (Atari version of the keyboard)
AndAppStore
Astro File Manager
AppInstaller
AppMonster
BatteryTimeLite
Beautiful Silence Widgets
Gigbox
JuicePlotter, JuiceDefender and Ultimate Juice
Flashlight
Soccer Livescores
PicSay
Calorie Counter
Advanced Task killer
Fring

Those are the apps i've installed since may 1st.

It's working atm but it has rebooted after i have removed the battery in the las couple of days. Its the first time it wouldn't boot back. Thanks
5th May 2010, 09:46 PM   |  #6  
jonmall1441's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Thanks Meter: 12
 
333 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrec92

i am familiar with that thread
although he didn't mention it was an internet/apn issue

i don't suppose you've installed juice defender?

yep i've got juice defender? that shouldn't shut it down tho should it? And i don't use a mobile network connection too damn expensive over here
5th May 2010, 09:46 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 25
 
916 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmall1441

so recently installed apps are:

Dropbox
Spark
Light Racer 3D Basic
HTC_IME mod (Atari version of the keyboard)
AndAppStore
Astro File Manager
AppInstaller
AppMonster
BatteryTimeLite
Beautiful Silence Widgets
Gigbox
JuicePlotter, JuiceDefender and Ultimate Juice
Flashlight
Soccer Livescores
PicSay
Calorie Counter
Advanced Task killer
Fring

Those are the apps i've installed since may 1st.

It's working atm but it has rebooted after i have removed the battery in the las couple of days. Its the first time it wouldn't boot back. Thanks

on another thread the issue was caused by juice defender changing the apn and then not changing it back but this was because it was uninstalled, oddly enough it was this causing reboot cycles on the desire

with advanced task killer it is very likely that juice defender changed the apn and then before it could change it back was killed by a.t.k

would recommend uninstalling atk anyway as it has been proven to cause problems. try this and then see if the problem persists.
5th May 2010, 09:50 PM   |  #8  
jonmall1441's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Thanks Meter: 12
 
333 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Alright i've uninstalled ATK. Hope this fixes the issue (i'll post up an update on the situation tomorrow). Any other task manager apps you would recommend or just not use one?
5th May 2010, 09:54 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 25
 
916 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmall1441

Alright i've uninstalled ATK. Hope this fixes the issue (i'll post up an update on the situation tomorrow). Any other task manager apps you would recommend or just not use one?

i just wouldn't use one, this has been explained in more detail but i'll try to explain

android manages memory more efficiently, if an application is launched, it will stay in memory until the memory is needed for something else, then android will close this application and give the memory to the new one.

if say for example you force close the browser, it could have been linked to google maps, the news widget, friend stream etc, and once the browser is closed by the task killer, the other applications will re-open it in order to complete what they are doing, this will drain a large amount of battery.

correct me if i'm wrong

keep us updated if it doesn't work then try the fixes i posted on the other thread posted above
5th May 2010, 10:11 PM   |  #10  
jonmall1441's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Thanks Meter: 12
 
333 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrec92

i just wouldn't use one, this has been explained in more detail but i'll try to explain

.....

correct me if i'm wrong

keep us updated if it doesn't work then try the fixes i posted on the other thread posted above

Yea i have read about that a few times and i should know better hehe. Was trying to save on battery life but juice defender and ultimate juice should be more efficient in that respect. I will post an update tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully its a positive update

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
desire, htc, issue, possiblefix overheating, problem, re-booting, rebooting, replacement
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes