Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,438 Members 44,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help root SPH-L710 with Stock OTA 4.3 MK3

Tip us?

samthekiller
Old
(Last edited by samthekiller; 8th December 2013 at 08:48 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help root SPH-L710 with Stock OTA 4.3 MK3

I updated my galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Virgin) with OTA 4.3 zip (L710VPUCMK3) update file from Sprint and deployed it on the phone via Odin. It seems that has deployed Knox bootloader on this phone. I need help rooting the device so that I can disable the Hands Free Activation system of the phone, as it is bothering my activation process on another provider. I tried deploying CM 6.0.3.1 Recovery via Odin , which got deployed but tripped the Knox Bootloader. I am not able to access the SD card internal storage hence accessing the Root zip via recovery is also futile. I do not care if the Warranty gets void on this as it will be used with a provider in India.

Any help will be appreciable.

Sam

FallenZen
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthekiller View Post
I updated my galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Virgin) with OTA 4.3 zip (L710VPUCMK3) update file from Sprint and deployed it on the phone via Odin. It seems that has deployed Knox bootloader on this phone. I need help rooting the device so that I can disable the Hands Free Activation system of the phone, as it is bothering my activation process on another provider. I tried deploying CM 6.0.3.1 Recovery via Odin , which got deployed but tripped the Knox Bootloader. I am not able to access the SD card internal storage hence accessing the Root zip via recovery is also futile. I do not care if the Warranty gets void on this as it will be used with a provider in India.

Sam
I feel your pain. I just had to sort all of this out and, lucky you, I have the same build you've got. The only difference is I'm flashed from Sprint to VZW instead of Virgin.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541900

That thread should work for you. I used the Odexed version and did not install any of the mods (I'm only now getting ready to test the hotspot hack). I put all of the files directly on my phone and removed my microSD card and then handled the installation via CWM LTE v5. SuperSU 1.41 gave me no joy after rooting and I went with v1.80 which worked flawlessly.

Good luck my friend, may your KNOX-induced journey be more pleasant than mine was.
-Zen
The Following User Says Thank You to FallenZen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samthekiller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenZen View Post
I feel your pain. I just had to sort all of this out and, lucky you, I have the same build you've got. The only difference is I'm flashed from Sprint to VZW instead of Virgin.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541900

That thread should work for you. I used the Odexed version and did not install any of the mods (I'm only now getting ready to test the hotspot hack). I put all of the files directly on my phone and removed my microSD card and then handled the installation via CWM LTE v5. SuperSU 1.41 gave me no joy after rooting and I went with v1.80 which worked flawlessly.

Good luck my friend, may your KNOX-induced journey be more pleasant than mine was.
-Zen
Thanks Zen for the input! I went through that thread few pages to see whats going on and thought that the method mentioned there are preventive and going through an upgrade rather than making the mistake of installing (which unfortunately I did) KNOX. Now that you mentioned, I am curious about CWM LTE v5 as I have seen issues with older CW Recoveries either not reading data on internal flash (internal SD as it is referred by CWM Recovery). I hope just flashing this CWM LTE v5 will make stuff readable on card and will deploy the Odexed on the phone. I hope that KNOX plays well with this CWM LTE v5.
I cannot afford to brick these devices! Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot for input!

jdsingle76
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthekiller View Post

Sam
Since you are on VM, which is actually MK5, you may want to flash this build. This will keep you from having to change your mmsc url, apns, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2546505

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdsingle76 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samthekiller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsingle76 View Post
Since you are on VM, which is actually MK5, you may want to flash this build. This will keep you from having to change your mmsc url, apns, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2546505

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Thanks for this idea! I will use this release rather than Sprint. These are originally VM prepaid phones, I am modifying the radio to a local CDMA provider in India so these values will get updated again

Thanks!

FallenZen
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Nice catch, JD! I wouldn't have even considered VM being a different build... :\ I still have much to learn.

KaM1KaZ3
Old
Thanks Meter 82
i have boost s3 sph-l710 mk3 not having any luck gaining root i searched the whole weekend every method i try error/failed.... Can some one throw a tip please

poit
Old
Thanks Meter 491
This is how I rooted stock MK3 on Sprint. Read the instructions carefully. The trick for me was to go to the play store once I was done and re-install or upgrade SuperSU, then run it.
I am now on MK3, rooted.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1963812
Novatel Bagphone, Motorola Microtac, Qualcom Q-Phone, Motorola Startac, Sanyo MM-8100, Sanyo MM7400, Samsung A900 Blade, HTC Touch Pro 2, Sammy Epic 4G,

Currently Sammy Galaxy S III running Stock Rooted KitKat 4.4.2 because it's just that good. Knox don't scare me
Sprint SERO Premium 500
The Following User Says Thank You to poit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FallenZen
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM1KaZ3 View Post
i have boost s3 sph-l710 mk3 not having any luck gaining root i searched the whole weekend every method i try error/failed.... Can some one throw a tip please
Have you tried the first link I posted for Sam? If you're L710 MK3 then you're probably the same build as I am (L710VPUCMK3). If you are, then that should work for you. I mean, it worked for me even though I didn't factory reset my device... and it was plagued with some seriously crippling errors.
The Following User Says Thank You to FallenZen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KaM1KaZ3
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I used cf-auto root an it worked second try without auto boot checked Thanks for the thread