[Q] Help With Battery Drain

OP flu13

11th March 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47

350 posts
In the past week or so, I've noticed that my battery is draining unusually fast. I will take the phone to bed with me (I use it as an alarm clock) at 100% battery and I can wake up 7 hours later with it at 82%. When I look at my battery information, I see steady, solid drain over that time, with the biggest offender being Google Services. When I look in Wakelock Detector, I see the most usage (though seemingly not a ton) by Android System.

I found some tips on using Wakelock Terminator in Xposed to filter some things from Google Play Services from triggering wakelock, and I was optimistic, but it didn't seem to help.

Any advice?
11th March 2014, 04:02 PM   |  #2  
Flag Twentynine Palms
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
More
Greenify
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu13

In the past week or so, I've noticed that my battery is draining unusually fast. I will take the phone to bed with me (I use it as an alarm clock) at 100% battery and I can wake up 7 hours later with it at 82%. When I look at my battery information, I see steady, solid drain over that time, with the biggest offender being Google Services. When I look in Wakelock Detector, I see the most usage (though seemingly not a ton) by Android System.

I found some tips on using Wakelock Terminator in Xposed to filter some things from Google Play Services from triggering wakelock, and I was optimistic, but it didn't seem to help.

Any advice?

Are you on a stock rom? Did you try greenify? It's on the play store. It kills the apps background services and the app itself until you start the app or the app is started by another app or service. Soon as the app os no longer needed it is turn back off. This program does not freeze apps it prevents them from running until needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to bsavoir22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

350 posts
Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned my rom and such. I'm running ForceROM, a relatively older version (maybe 2.3?), since I never felt the need to update.

I haven't tried Greenify. Haven't actually heard of that one before. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.
11th March 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #4  
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,936

3,762 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned my rom and such. I'm running ForceROM, a relatively older version (maybe 2.3?), since I never felt the need to update.

I haven't tried Greenify. Haven't actually heard of that one before. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Try a custom kernel like KToonsez in addition to Greenify. It's amazing what you can end up doing with that kernel

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
11th March 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

350 posts
ForceROM includes Ktoonsez kernel. For the last 8 months or so, I've had great battery life. This is a sudden and recent change, which I'm assuming to be caused by an update of some Google app (such as Play Services).

How do I use Greenify? Or do I just install it and it does magic?
12th March 2014, 04:36 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 20

178 posts
More
Quote:

Any advice?

Do you have auto-sync enabled? What Google Services do you have enabled for sync? I used to have a similar issue but turning off sync for things I don't use (like newsstand, etc) helped my battery life a lot.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote:

ForceROM includes Ktoonsez kernel. For the last 8 months or so, I've had great battery life. This is a sudden and recent change, which I'm assuming to be caused by an update of some Google app (such as Play Services).

How do I use Greenify? Or do I just install it and it does magic?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2552570
That thread may help you with this.
12th March 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 133

684 posts
my last resort advice would be to flash a 4.3 rom......your not missing out on much not running KK.....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
12th March 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #8  
Flag arizona
Thanks Meter: 8

20 posts
More
I highly recommend trying out NEGALITE WonderRom r14.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
12th March 2014, 01:35 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 133

684 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoz

I highly recommend trying out NEGALITE WonderRom r14.

agreed..!
Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
12th March 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

350 posts
I believe that installing Greenify might have done it. Battery usage looks much better today. I'll do a real test tonight when I get it charged to 100% before bed.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread