Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,443 Members 48,543 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stop the panic!

Tip us?

riso123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Default Stop the panic!

I am sewing lots of people panicking because of some issues with some devices received.

I see this with nearly every handset I have owned, especially at the beginning.

It's as though a chain reaction starts when someone has a fault, others then look for the same fault, over analyse the phone and almost will themselves in to believing a small scratch or blemish is the same thing as the original complainant.

Out of all those who had "faulty" devices, how many do you think got perfectly working devices?

Don't have a knee jerk reaction and jump ship until you actually have a major problem with your own device. Give the manufacturer a chance first.

Sorry, just had to their this out there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to riso123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

riso123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
And sorry for all the spelling mistakes... Damn predictive text and lazy proof reading

BanziBaby
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Gotta agree with everything you wrote there, I've seen folk post saying it been delayed I'm buying something else, plus the hysteria over the phone getting too hot or the ringtones ain't loud enough etc etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to BanziBaby For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fatguy666
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBaby View Post
Gotta agree with everything you wrote there, I've seen folk post saying it been delayed I'm buying something else, plus the hysteria over the phone getting too hot or the ringtones ain't loud enough etc etc.
The ringtones ain't loud enough? Better cancel my pre-order then
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatguy666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

riginal
Old
Thanks Meter 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by riso123 View Post
I am sewing lots of people panicking because of some issues with some devices received.

I see this with nearly every handset I have owned, especially at the beginning.

It's as though a chain reaction starts when someone has a fault, others then look for the same fault, over analyse the phone and almost will themselves in to believing a small scratch or blemish is the same thing as the original complainant.

Out of all those who had "faulty" devices, how many do you think got perfectly working devices?

Don't have a knee jerk reaction and jump ship until you actually have a major problem with your own device. Give the manufacturer a chance first.

Sorry, just had to their this out there.

"Give the manufacture a chance" is easy to say if you live somewhere where these phones have reasonable price or return window or good warranty...

Here where I live it's not like that, I have to pay more than a month's income for a flagship, sometimes a 24h return window if the device has a real issue sometimes not even that, also no proper warranty for Sony devices here, So I consider myself all the right to nitpick & panic

Cheers
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i - CM7ZMOD
- Asus Transformer TF300TG - Stock ICS
----------------------------------------
Evidently madam, you and l differ greatly in our conception of beauty. What l just witnessed was ghastlier than a thousand ghouls!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riginal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SuperMarioGalaxy
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by riginal View Post
"Give the manufacture a chance" is easy to say if you live somewhere where these phones have reasonable price or return window or good warranty...

Here where I live it's not like that, I have to pay more than a month's income for a flagship, sometimes a 24h return window if the device has a real issue sometimes not even that, also no proper warranty for Sony devices here, So I consider myself all the right to nitpick & panic

Cheers
Well if you have to pay over a months income to get a flagship, why are you getting one in the first place? As with everything else in life, everything just goes the way it goes. You won't get a faulty phone, and if you do, then its meant like that and you can learn from it. Just turn everything into positives.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMarioGalaxy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

riso123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMarioGalaxy View Post
Well if you have to pay over a months income to get a flagship, why are you getting one in the first place? As with everything else in life, everything just goes the way it goes. You won't get a faulty phone, and if you do, then its meant like that and you can learn from it. Just turn everything into positives.
Exactly what I was thinking.

The Following User Says Thank You to riso123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

unni_kmr
Old
(Last edited by unni_kmr; 11th April 2014 at 06:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
I have been badly burned by multiple devices in the past.
1. Sony K810i (7 years back) - found out speaker was damaged 5 days after purchase. As @riginal pointed out, I was at a place where I cannot return the device the moment I walk out of the shop. By the end of one year, everything except battery in that phone was replaced. I had bought that model several months after it was released.
2. HP DV5 1015TX Laptop (6 years ago) - replaced display 3 times over a 1.5 year period because of the same issue. Lucky that I had warranty extension.
3. Asus TF700T - If I see the guy who tested it, I will hit him with the tablet until it breaks. I am not joking.
4. Nexus 7 2013 - replaced speaker 2 months after purchase.
5. Dell XPS 9530 Laptop - paid $2000 and got a machine that makes whining sound, throttles games to unplayable FPS.

After these kind of experiences, when I got my Nexus 5, I returned it without zero hesitation twice - first because of the yellow tint and second time because of the dead pixel. There should be zero tolerance when it comes to devices. I pay expecting a fully functional product. I am not paying to be their tester. Its high time companies are penalized for releasing defective units. If they can't ensure consistent quality, at least I should get a full refund even if it is after 1 year.

If the companies cannot guarantee that there would be defects during the initial launch period, either they should offer extended warranty with the guarantee that if its a factory defect, we will get a new phone no matter when it was reported.

Edit: Added item 2.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to unni_kmr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kersey
Old
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni_kmr View Post
I have been badly burned by multiple devices in the past.
1. Sony K810i (7 years back) - found out speaker was damaged 5 days after purchase. As @riginal pointed out, I was at a place where I cannot return the device the moment I walk out of the shop. By the end of one year, everything except battery in that phone was replaced. I had bought that model several months after it was released.
2. Asus TF700T - If I see the guy who tested it, I will hit him with the tablet until it breaks. I am not joking.
3. Nexus 7 2013 - replaced speaker 2 months after purchase.
4. Dell XPS 9530 - paid $2000 and got a machine that makes whining sound, throttles games to unplayable FPS.

After these kind of experiences, when I got my Nexus 5, I returned it without zero hesitation twice - first because of the yellow tint and second time because of the dead pixel. There should be zero tolerance when it comes to devices. I pay expecting a fully functional product. I am not paying to be their tester. Its high time companies are penalized for releasing defective units. If they can't ensure consistent quality, at least I should get a full refund even if it is after 1 year.

If the companies cannot guarantee that there would be defects during the initial launch period, either they should offer extended warranty with the guarantee that if its a factory defect, we will get a new phone no matter when it was reported.
I think you must be cursed mate [emoji50]

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kersey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

unni_kmr
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey View Post
I think you must be cursed mate [emoji50]

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
I have added one more - #2.
I too often think like that - whether I am cursed or if I am being punished by God for spending money on gadgets. There were a few who didn't give me problems as well- Galaxy S2, PS4, Sony TV..