Ask a question

No registration required

Unhappy Help with lag! (Trim)

OP mattjfk1

17th March 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
I got a new Nook HD+ in June. I kept it on stock, until about October, when I flashed cyanogenmod 10.1.3, then 10.2. The lag slowly became worse and worse until it was almost unuseable. I finally found a thread saying to format data and datmedia, so I did. This fixed the lag, but it started to come back. This is almost certainly a trim bug, but I know almost nothing about that (I am in middle school ). I do not want to format again, so I don't know what to do. Right now, I am on cm11.
19th March 2014, 03:36 PM   |  #2  
Flag Lynchburg, TN
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
If you are on CM11 then trim is enabled so it will run when certain conditions are met. I have found the easiest way is to plug it in overnight. Trim will run if the Nook is charging and has been idle for a period of time. Hope this helps
23rd March 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokercey

If you are on CM11 then trim is enabled so it will run when certain conditions are met. I have found the easiest way is to plug it in overnight. Trim will run if the Nook is charging and has been idle for a period of time. Hope this helps

Thanks for responding. I had daydream on, so I don't know if trim ran or not. It seems like the lag is slowly getting better, but that may be the placebo effect. Is there a way to see if trim has run or is there another way to run it? Thanks!
23rd March 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #4  
Flag Lynchburg, TN

27 posts
There is a command line that can be run in Terminal that will check the log of the last trim run. I used it once to be sure trim ran BUT i do not remember the command. Do a search of the forum and you will find it.
23rd March 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:

There is a command line that can be run in Terminal that will check the log of the last trim run. I used it once to be sure trim ran BUT i do not remember the command. Do a search of the forum and you will find it.

I'm sorry, but I can't find it anywhere. Could you find it?
24th March 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #6  
Flag Lynchburg, TN

27 posts
Read this thread carefully and you will find the info you are searching for. You may have to link to another thread. It's the "Teach them to Fish" thing
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2528009
The Following User Says Thank You to kokercey For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th March 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:

Read this thread carefully and you will find the info you are searching for. You may have to link to another thread. It's the "Teach them to Fish" thing
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2528009

On that thread, I found instructions to run trim manually from Terminal. I did it and my nook was a little bit faster, but still significantly laggy than it is supposed to. I have started to think that the lag may not just be trim. Could this be true? Also, I ran Androbench and my random write was only .11 mb /s.
28th March 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Also, I have the MAG2GA chip. Will this affect the speed of my nook?

When I run trim from the command line, it always says that it trimmed the same number of bytes each time, even if it is just a few seconds after. Is it supposed to do this?

Thanks again for all your help!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread