Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 46,338 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BubbleUPNP doesnt start to play video

Tip us?

maxiv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default BubbleUPNP doesnt start to play video

Hi everyone,

just installed my sweet new chromecast, but running into a few problems,,

I've installed bubbleupnp on my Windows 8.1 and also on my nexus 5. I can browse the library on my pc (allthough I haven't quite figured out how to include or exclude some folders) and I can also click to play the files on my nexus 5. The nthe BubbleUPNP screen on my TV (via chromecast) does load....but I can't see any picture of the video and the video doesn't start playing.

Does anyone know the solution to this`?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 746

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiv View Post
I've installed bubbleupnp on my Windows 8.1 and also on my nexus 5. I can browse the library on my pc (allthough I haven't quite figured out how to include or exclude some folders) and I can also click to play the files on my nexus 5. The nthe BubbleUPNP screen on my TV (via chromecast) does load....but I can't see any picture of the video and the video doesn't start playing.
Likely your media is not compatible with Chromecast.
Install BubbleUPnP server on your PC and enable the transcoding option in BubbleUPnP.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

maxiv
Old
(Last edited by maxiv; 27th March 2014 at 05:37 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
is this the setting you mean?

Done that, didn't help :/

when i use my phone as renderer, most files play back just fine. Yeah, I guess it hast to do with the format of the files also...but just can't solve it yet :/

edit: So with an MKV (just a few, not all) it just worked (bubbleupnp on tv brought up the loading bar and then the file started playing).
with .avi it doesn't seem to work. is there any solution to this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transcoding.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	2653603  

Nedle
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
is this the setting you mean?

Done that, didn't help :/

when i use my phone as renderer, most files play back just fine. Yeah, I guess it hast to do with the format of the files also...but just can't solve it yet :/

edit: So with an MKV (just a few, not all) it just worked (bubbleupnp on tv brought up the loading bar and then the file started playing).
with .avi it doesn't seem to work. is there any solution to this?
MKVs can play without transcoding, .avi files will need transcoding. Go into BubbleUPnP on your phone, settings->Chromecast and enable transcoding there.

maxiv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedle View Post
MKVs can play without transcoding, .avi files will need transcoding. Go into BubbleUPnP on your phone, settings->Chromecast and enable transcoding there.
Thanks for you help. You mean like so? Still doesn't work :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-27-17-44-31.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	2653623  

Nedle
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Can you check your CPU workload during transcoding? It might no be able to handle it. If so you can try changing your transcoding settings to increase performance.

maxiv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedle View Post
Can you check your CPU workload during transcoding? It might no be able to handle it. If so you can try changing your transcoding settings to increase performance.
what file type should I click!? Since playing such files doesn't seem to work (just a few, not all, MKVs work) i'm not sure if checking the CPU workload makes sense?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 746

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for you help. You mean like so? Still doesn't work :/
Have you gone through the information and recommendations on the BubbleUPnP site?
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

maxiv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
I did, and I now also enabled transcoding under the "networks and settings" menu in settings...most MKVs seem to work fine by now, still no luck with .AVI though...

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 746

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I did, and I now also enabled transcoding under the "networks and settings" menu in settings...most MKVs seem to work fine by now, still no luck with .AVI though...
Most MKVs contain MPEG-4 video, so they require little/no readjustment.

AVIs, on the other hand, come from the early days of Windows 3.11 when only a handful of CODECs were included and MPEG-4 wasn't born yet (IIRC MPEG-2 was being standardized at the time).

Most times AVIs will require some kind of trancoding, because few people put MPEG-4 in an AVI, unless it's DivX.