Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Influence of recovery for Nabi 2. Problems updating UK 2.2

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By Ste_J, Junior Member on 11th February 2014, 12:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
New member but long time lurker.
Hoping somebody can help with a UK Nabi issue

I have previously used nabi lab to flash, root and install gapps. This worked great until I got a mail about the UK OTA. I then started to search for my stock back up and remember losing it in a hard drive disaster.
This led to updating using what I could find and nabi lab. End result at one point being Nabi reporting US Nabi version

Long story short. Managed to find another thread with a UK stock backup v2. Got this loaded and can update to v2.1 with no issue. Then I tried to go to v2.2 and I constantly get the dead android. And back to 2.1

The nabi has been wiped several times and at one point had no OS at all. I used the stock recovery in nabi lab and now wondering if the recovery files have an influence on the OTA? I have read that the earlier forcing gapps may have wiped some files needed for the OTA although I would assume that the very action of wiping everything via TWRP would have got around this I.e restoring via stock would have put them back on?

The nabi is currently running fine on v2.1 but can't get to 2.2 despite trying to find every solution found via search. Would have posted in the nabi section but don't have enough posts yet

Thanks in advance

Ste

12th February 2014, 08:38 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_J

New member but long time lurker.
Hoping somebody can help with a UK Nabi issue

I have previously used nabi lab to flash, root and install gapps. This worked great until I got a mail about the UK OTA. I then started to search for my stock back up and remember losing it in a hard drive disaster.
This led to updating using what I could find and nabi lab. End result at one point being Nabi reporting US Nabi version

Long story short. Managed to find another thread with a UK stock backup v2. Got this loaded and can update to v2.1 with no issue. Then I tried to go to v2.2 and I constantly get the dead android. And back to 2.1

The nabi has been wiped several times and at one point had no OS at all. I used the stock recovery in nabi lab and now wondering if the recovery files have an influence on the OTA? I have read that the earlier forcing gapps may have wiped some files needed for the OTA although I would assume that the very action of wiping everything via TWRP would have got around this I.e restoring via stock would have put them back on?

The nabi is currently running fine on v2.1 but can't get to 2.2 despite trying to find every solution found via search. Would have posted in the nabi section but don't have enough posts yet

Thanks in advance

Ste

I posted a question 2 days ago- can't even do first update so I'm following this with interest in the hope of getting info on how to unroot and just do ota updates with no dead android.
12th February 2014, 09:32 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floralina123

I posted a question 2 days ago- can't even do first update so I'm following this with interest in the hope of getting info on how to unroot and just do ota updates with no dead android.

Hi,
what nabi version do you have? I have been able to unroot and get back to stock by using a UK v2 back up and a combination of nabi lab and twrp.
If you was looking for UK then I could probably point you in the right direction to get to the same point as me
The Following User Says Thank You to Ste_J For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ste_J Ad-Free
12th February 2014, 04:26 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

Hi,
what nabi version do you have? I have been able to unroot and get back to stock by using a UK v2 back up and a combination of nabi lab and twrp.
If you was looking for UK then I could probably point you in the right direction to get to the same point as me

Hi Ste_j, thanks for the reply. I unrooted it already, or so I thought using nabilabs but it looks like twrp was removed and gapps remains - which I'm happy about seeing as I can't update it using ota update with google playstore- that could have been a disaster.
Here is my question I posted -
I Apologise for my ignorance in android in general.
I have rooted a Nabi 2 successfully installing Gapps etc using Nabilab, which was a pleasure to use. Now that the new OTA update is available which includes the Googleplaystore I would like to unroot and get the OTA updates. I thought I had unrooted it - using Nabilabs (twrp would not work, can't remember why but I think the touchscreen part wouldn't work for me). I returned to stock using (option 1. -1.9.37. Android can boot.) recovery using Nabilabs. I think I did a factory reset after that -sorry but it was weeks ago. Anyway, I suspected something wasn't right when I still had Gapps. I don't have TWRP on it now.
When I do the OTA update I get the dead android on reboot. Nabi is working fine apart from that. I read a lot of pages on this website but it ended up confusing me more than helping me unfortunately as I'm not android savvy.
I just need someone to tell me exactly what to do to properly unroot the Nabi so that it is truly back to original so I can use the OTA updates. I have no need to root the nabi again as the google play store is now officially available. And I've got a UK Nabi 2.

Ste_j,
I assumed I had a Uk nabi because I'm in Ireland. I don't know how to check this as it doesn't say uk here but the
model no is NABI2-NV7A-IE
Android version 4.0.4
Kernel version 3.1.10-00298-ge08b99f
MID@keenhi-desktop #2
SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 26 17:21:35 HKT 2013

Build no IMM76L
Product version: 2.0-release-keys

I don't want to unroot any further unless I can get the latest ota update that gives me the google play store. I would rather leave it as it is now(gapps still on it) until you get yours working successfully I will gladly follow your lead from start to finish then. I just hope someone in the know replies with the solution. I too had been reading the nabi forum but cannot post there.
Tnx
12th February 2014, 07:00 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Sounds like one of my recent 1am going on for 2 adventures in nabi land!

Hopefully there will be a UK stock 2.2 being uploaded tonight and if I get it working then I will let you know.
14th February 2014, 05:33 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

Sounds like one of my recent 1am going on for 2 adventures in nabi land!

Hopefully there will be a UK stock 2.2 being uploaded tonight and if I get it working then I will let you know.

Did you ever sort this one out mate? If I can atleast get my hands on the 2.2 OTA update zip file then atleast I can force it to upgrade from recovery mode.
14th February 2014, 07:57 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadkicks

Did you ever sort this one out mate? If I can atleast get my hands on the 2.2 OTA update zip file then atleast I can force it to upgrade from recovery mode.

Not yet. Waiting on 2.2 to be uploaded on the other thread. Hopefully the guy will get chance to upload over the weekend
15th February 2014, 04:42 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Portland, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 988

More
So all 3 of you have UK Nabi's that can't get to 2.2 and are stuck somewhere at 2.0 or 2.1? Is that correct?

In theory restoring either of these(2.0 stock or 2.1 stock) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=67

should then allow you to take the OTA. The US version did it as a 2 part update and the first wiped the system partition and installed a base ROM which got everyone on the same page and the did the second update to 2.3(2.2 for you guys if I understand correctly). Maybe the UK version doesn't do it like that.

Where is everyone failing at? TWRP usually fails for a "assert error in some file" If the backups are truly stock then this should work fine. Sometimes people who make backups mess up and TWRP set the file recovery-from-boot.p to recovery-from-boot.bak then the update can find that file and errors. Any other files will cause the same issue. Some other issues are the addon partition, the OTA's do edit stuff on the addon partition, if you have skipped around OTA's this can cause a mismatch too.

A stock 2.2 ROM would be great but anyone on 2.1 would still be stuck with ICS bootloader which won't boot 2.2UK. You would also want an addon partion backup to restore too.

Oops I get it.. You guys don't know where you are failing at because the stock recovery(dead android) doesn't give you any info. TWRP 2.6.3 can install OTA updates. Put TWRP backon. Use it to install the OTA it will have a log that will say why it's failing.
15th February 2014, 07:02 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs

So all 3 of you have UK Nabi's that can't get to 2.2 and are stuck somewhere at 2.0 or 2.1? Is that correct?

In theory restoring either of these(2.0 stock or 2.1 stock) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=67

should then allow you to take the OTA. The US version did it as a 2 part update and the first wiped the system partition and installed a base ROM which got everyone on the same page and the did the second update to 2.3(2.2 for you guys if I understand correctly). Maybe the UK version doesn't do it like that.

Where is everyone failing at? TWRP usually fails for a "assert error in some file" If the backups are truly stock then this should work fine. Sometimes people who make backups mess up and TWRP set the file recovery-from-boot.p to recovery-from-boot.bak then the update can find that file and errors. Any other files will cause the same issue. Some other issues are the addon partition, the OTA's do edit stuff on the addon partition, if you have skipped around OTA's this can cause a mismatch too.

A stock 2.2 ROM would be great but anyone on 2.1 would still be stuck with ICS bootloader which won't boot 2.2UK. You would also want an addon partion backup to restore too.

Oops I get it.. You guys don't know where you are failing at because the stock recovery(dead android) doesn't give you any info. TWRP 2.6.3 can install OTA updates. Put TWRP backon. Use it to install the OTA it will have a log that will say why it's failing.

Thank you. I have restored 2.0 from that post

Am I correct in thinking that the OTA will be stored in internal memory and that TWRP should be able to locate the file? Is there anyway of repairing the addon partition if that is corrupt?
15th February 2014, 08:03 AM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Portland, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 988

More
Quote:

Thank you. I have restored 2.0 from that post

Am I correct in thinking that the OTA will be stored in internal memory and that TWRP should be able to locate the file? Is there anyway of repairing the addon partition if that is corrupt?

Yes the ota is stored in internal memory. On data/media(internal). Its in a folder called ota or something intuitive like that. A forum search will find it, I'm drawing a blank. Do the ota download but when it says to update, back out of settings at that point and you will have the OTA zip.

Its kind of hard to repair addon. If there was a backup of addon from an early software version you could let the otas update it properly. I didn't really think to add that ability to twrp until late in the game though. The other option is to have someone that has successfully progressed through the otas make a backup and share. Then we could cook something up where you just use a 2.2 ROM and restore, update the bootloader and restore a 2.2 add-on. The last option is a custom OTA, similar to what I did with the US Nabi, and even that hasn't went perfectly. I'm not sure if its my update or people doing it a little different then the instructions but there have been a few failures with it. Although we figure it out eventually, just like we will with the UK Nabi.
The Following User Says Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aicjofs Ad-Free
15th February 2014, 10:02 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs

Yes the ota is stored in internal memory. On data/media(internal). Its in a folder called ota or something intuitive like that. A forum search will find it, I'm drawing a blank. Do the ota download but when it says to update, back out of settings at that point and you will have the OTA zip.

Its kind of hard to repair addon. If there was a backup of addon from an early software version you could let the otas update it properly. I didn't really think to add that ability to twrp until late in the game though. The other option is to have someone that has successfully progressed through the otas make a backup and share. Then we could cook something up where you just use a 2.2 ROM and restore, update the bootloader and restore a 2.2 add-on. The last option is a custom OTA, similar to what I did with the US Nabi, and even that hasn't went perfectly. I'm not sure if its my update or people doing it a little different then the instructions but there have been a few failures with it. Although we figure it out eventually, just like we will with the UK Nabi.

TWRP installed and OTA attempted. log file attached . still not sure what is going wrong but hopefully somebody who is used to reading the logs will point me in the right direction
Attached Files
File Type: zip recovery.log.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.2 KB, 51 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nabi-2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)