Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Phone heated up and drained down to 5% with a buggy app or KitKat, potential damage?

OP ilovecats

30th March 2014, 04:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

22 posts
I'm on a 2 week old AT&T G2 running the official KitKat (via OTA). Today I had an incident where I had torch on (via the Google Play app store, app named Torch written by Santoso Wijaya), then left it to auto turn off. However, apparently either the app or KK has a bug that caused the phone to heat up with the app running in the foreground while both the screen and the camera LED were off. By the time I felt it in my pocket, the phone had become toasty hot, and battery had drained from about 40% to 5% over a span of about an hour, but the phone did not shut itself down. I immediately rebooted it myself.

My question is: is the heat most likely caused by the CPU running at 100%? Is it likely to cause any damage given the scenario? Shouldn't the phone auto shut down to protect itself since it was running so hot (by the way it was *really* hot, like much hotter than the phone ever felt to me, even when I was playing games over LTE etc), or was it still not hot enough for that (which hopefully means it was safe?)?

Thanks for your inputs.
30th March 2014, 05:09 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,513

2,540 posts
More
My question is why are you using a torch from play store when the phone has one on stock already, and yes the phone has a feature where if the battery/cpu hit a specific temp it should either a)throttle to cool down or b)auto reboot so I find that strange if you would have know the battery temp I could have told you if test it should have auto rebooted or not

Sent from my LG-D800 running stock kk, rooted with philz using XDA app
30th March 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #3  
Flag Lexington
Thanks Meter: 490

844 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecats

I'm on a 2 week old AT&T G2 running the official KitKat (via OTA). Today I had an incident where I had torch on (via the Google Play app store, app named Torch written by Santoso Wijaya), then left it to auto turn off. However, apparently either the app or KK has a bug that caused the phone to heat up with the app running in the foreground while both the screen and the camera LED were off. By the time I felt it in my pocket, the phone had become toasty hot, and battery had drained from about 40% to 5% over a span of about an hour, but the phone did not shut itself down. I immediately rebooted it myself.

My question is: is the heat most likely caused by the CPU running at 100%? Is it likely to cause any damage given the scenario? Shouldn't the phone auto shut down to protect itself since it was running so hot (by the way it was *really* hot, like much hotter than the phone ever felt to me, even when I was playing games over LTE etc), or was it still not hot enough for that (which hopefully means it was safe?)?

Thanks for your inputs.

It is probably completely fine. The processors in these phones have safety measures to shut themselves off when they get too hot, and they can also handle VERY hot temperatures. I remember my nexus 4 would get EXTREMELY hot, to the point it hurt to touch sometimes, and it's still doing fine :P
30th March 2014, 06:42 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu

My question is why are you using a torch from play store when the phone has one on stock already, and yes the phone has a feature where if the battery/cpu hit a specific temp it should either a)throttle to cool down or b)auto reboot so I find that strange if you would have know the battery temp I could have told you if test it should have auto rebooted or not

Sent from my LG-D800 running stock kk, rooted with philz using XDA app

The only flashlight I could find on my stock AT&T KK is via a widget, which I do not want to use (I want a standalone app that I can launch via lockscreen shortcut etc).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread