Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question [Q] What is the theme builder application?

OP sanjsrik

1st March 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 69
 
1,367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
More
How does a person create a theme and then use it? I'd like to have very specific things on my theme but other than adding to an existing theme, i can't seem to take away from an existing theme, how do I create a new one from scratch?
1st March 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Rochdale
Thanks Meter: 209
 
531 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
I know they say watch the vid but if you are like me you need to see it in writing,it makes more sense to me that way.Anyway the easiest way is to grab a theme and change it around/edit,get a feel for the program then create your own by changing wallpapers,icons,weather etc.A lot of themes now won't let you edit them I have found,however download any of mine and edit away they are all editable,as are a few more posted here but names don't spring to mind,none in my opinion are any better or worse than each other they just have their own little attributes that makes them unique in their own way.So go on and play around m8,it will be fun.
1st March 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 69
 
1,367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldroid

I know they say watch the vid but if you are like me you need to see it in writing,it makes more sense to me that way.Anyway the easiest way is to grab a theme and change it around/edit,get a feel for the program then create your own by changing wallpapers,icons,weather etc.A lot of themes now won't let you edit them I have found,however download any of mine and edit away they are all editable,as are a few more posted here but names don't spring to mind,none in my opinion are any better or worse than each other they just have their own little attributes that makes them unique in their own way.So go on and play around m8,it will be fun.

Thanks, I cannot stand those youtube videos that "show" you how to do things. I find them tedious and unusable. I'd rather just get some instructions, an application and let me do it. Yet, so many seem to post "youtube instructions" i write this stuff for a living and have never found a video more useful than written instructions. However, that's my bias.

I'll go check out some of yours.

I agree with your assessment that NONE of the themes I've downloaded have been editable. I don't want to ADD more widgets and icons to a theme. I just want to start with a blank canvas and let me do it.

Yet, if all these themes exist, HOW were they created? I'm really not going to watch a youtube video. There has to be a building application somewhere. Not re-engineer something already there.

One question, when you say "download mine" where do I find yours. None of the ones I've seen through the application say who created them.
Last edited by sanjsrik; 1st March 2014 at 06:14 PM.
1st March 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Rochdale
Thanks Meter: 209
 
531 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
mine and others are in the screenshots and themes forum beneath the general discussion.I agree fully with the video and much prefer to read it as I find it more followable,but again I suppose that is my bias too.You can start almost fresh,grab a theme as posted earlier,then delete everything,if the theme uses everything widget this is simple to do,just press screen and choose remove,then change the wallpaper by selecting your own then simply add you own widgets etc via the inbuilt everything widget (although this isn't as stable as it could be) or download widgets from playstore etc then add them,hope this helps apologies if I seem to waffle on.
1st March 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 69
 
1,367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldroid

mine and others are in the screenshots and themes forum beneath the general discussion.I agree fully with the video and much prefer to read it as I find it more followable,but again I suppose that is my bias too.You can start almost fresh,grab a theme as posted earlier,then delete everything,if the theme uses everything widget this is simple to do,just press screen and choose remove,then change the wallpaper by selecting your own then simply add you own widgets etc via the inbuilt everything widget (although this isn't as stable as it could be) or download widgets from playstore etc then add them,hope this helps apologies if I seem to waffle on.

Got it, will go over there and check them out.
2nd March 2014, 08:25 AM   |  #6  
ThemerSupport's Avatar
Official Themer Rep
Thanks Meter: 449
 
967 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjsrik

Got it, will go over there and check them out.

Hi sanjsrik,

I'm the one who made the YouTube tutorial videos, so I apologize if they weren't that informative. Those were created in the beginning just to give people a basic understanding of what Themer was about.
Alldroid is correct in saying that starting with a fresh blank theme is the best, then just seeing what works and what doesn't. My advice would be learn more about Zooper Widget, as a lot of the newer themes use it, and it's brilliant. That's all Themer is essentially, a wallpaper, some widgets, and maybe some icons if you're feeling brave. We do recommend making the grid size quite large, in order to make the widget resizing easier. you might also notice that the new themes include incredibly detailed icons, these are in fact Zooper fonts, so as mentioned play around with the Zooper widgets found in the new themes.

If you need help/ideas feel free to ask, I'm always here to help!

- Marco
2nd March 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Rochdale
Thanks Meter: 209
 
531 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
It isn't that the video isn't informative,it probably is but some people including myself prefer to read it via a text file or maybe a pdf file
Last edited by alldroid; 2nd March 2014 at 11:33 AM.
3rd March 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #8  
ThemerSupport's Avatar
Official Themer Rep
Thanks Meter: 449
 
967 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldroid

It isn't that the video isn't informative,it probably is but some people including myself prefer to read it via a text file or maybe a pdf file

Would you like us to create in-depth text tutorials on our site?
The Following User Says Thank You to ThemerSupport For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2014, 08:44 AM   |  #9  
Member
Flag Kosice
Thanks Meter: 18
 
86 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemerSupport

Would you like us to create in-depth text tutorials on our site?

Marco,

I would definitely go for it... though I am more of a "hands on" student and for learning I need to hear the stuff (that's how I learned all the stuff during college - my wife reading the material and me laying down and just listening - damn, she was so furious when I got the same grades as she did... ;o]]]), the text might help you gain more audience among those "give-me-a-manual-and-shut-up" types.

You have created a superb product for the tinkerers so a step further in the direction of a superb customer/user support would be a definitive nod in the right direction.

I personally would like more short video tutorials on specific features, how they work, what is their purpose and the mechanics (Yeah, you guessed it, I am not that familiar with design and graphics;o]) and maybe a tut on the 'codes' for custom formats of zooper widget.

well and maybe few more videos with theme designers like the one you guys did with GeriArts would also be inspiring... ;o]]]
3rd March 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Rochdale
Thanks Meter: 209
 
531 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
another definate yes here too thanks,would make it a more better product in my opinion.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes