Post Reply

Warning to users with active sync accounts that require pin lockscreen

OP dottat

31st March 2014, 04:08 AM   |  #1  
dottat's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa
Thanks Meter: 1,172
 
2,618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Many users have active sync accounts with pin code lock screen requirements. Vzw added a "feature" where you type if wrong 10 times and the phone will factory reset. With the lock screen gestures enabled it is much much easier to accidentally wipe your data due to this.

Until we get an insecure kernel that disables write protection to /system and can disable this "feature" be warned!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
31st March 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 245
 
1,232 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat

Many users have active sync accounts with pin code lock screen requirements. Vzw added a "feature" where you type if wrong 10 times and the phone will factory reset. With the lock screen gestures enabled it is much much easier to accidentally wipe your data due to this.

Until we get an insecure kernel that disables write protection to /system and can disable this "feature" be warned!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

A sync account meaning a google account? This "feature" is pretty damn annoying.
31st March 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #3  
dottat's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa
Thanks Meter: 1,172
 
2,618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123421342

A sync account meaning a google account? This "feature" is pretty damn annoying.

anyone who selects or is forced to use a pin for their lockscreen....
1st April 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #4  
dottat's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa
Thanks Meter: 1,172
 
2,618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Others are noticing ..

http://phandroid.com/2014/03/31/htc-...ecurity-video/

Once we have /system write access this is an easy fix to eliminate.

Article writers missed that point though...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
1st April 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #5  
tehsquishmeister's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
To be fair, this is SOP for any business that allows users to connect their phones to their corp e-mail...

I didn't watch the video, but I assume he didn't connect his phone to his work and download the policy?
The Following User Says Thank You to tehsquishmeister For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #6  
dottat's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa
Thanks Meter: 1,172
 
2,618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsquishmeister

To be fair, this is SOP for any business that allows users to connect their phones to their corp e-mail...

I didn't watch the video, but I assume he didn't connect his phone to his work and download the policy?

Even BlackBerry makes you type in a confirmation. The wake gestures on this phone make it very easy to do in your pocket or bag.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
1st April 2014, 01:16 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 78
 
325 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
I don't think this is related to exchange, I think it's any lock screen. I use a pattern lock screen and it is the same. I've also turned off the gesture wake options.
1st April 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #8  
dottat's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa
Thanks Meter: 1,172
 
2,618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by l7777

I don't think this is related to exchange, I think it's any lock screen. I use a pattern lock screen and it is the same. I've also turned off the gesture wake options.

Then it's a bigger ouch! We will be able to kill it once we get better root action.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
1st April 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 173
 
376 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
This annoyed the crap out of me. I travel constantly with my phone and if it gets wiped during travel (and losing pictures and documents), that would equal me being fired from my job. My companies exchange server enforces security, which is a good thing, but then I have this device wipe thing hanging on my mind. On other devices, I can simply turn off this absolutely retarded option.

I had the same problem on the HTC M7. Luckily it can be disabled with root.

Anyway, once we get a proper root, you can set the failed attempts = 0 in an system xml file and then you will be good to go.

Edit this file:

/system/customize/ACC/default.xml
change this:
Code:
  <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">10</item>
to this
Code:
  <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">0</item>
Reboot and its disabled.
The Following User Says Thank You to MultiDev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #10  
muffnman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 72
 
221 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2007
Donate to Me
More
Exchange servers are known to push security policies which sometimes can hamper user experience and in some cases overstep the boundaries of BYOD setups in workplaces.

Using NitroDesk TouchDown for a few years now, allows an activesync connection to my work exchange server, but doesn't pull group policy to overtake my phone. I highly recommend it.. (man, that sounded like an ad)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon One (M8) General by ThreadRank