Warning to users with active sync accounts that require pin lockscreen

Tip us?

dottat
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1,020

DONATE TO ME
Default Warning to users with active sync accounts that require pin lockscreen

Many users have active sync accounts with pin code lock screen requirements. Vzw added a "feature" where you type if wrong 10 times and the phone will factory reset. With the lock screen gestures enabled it is much much easier to accidentally wipe your data due to this.

Until we get an insecure kernel that disables write protection to /system and can disable this "feature" be warned!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Old
Thanks Meter 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
Many users have active sync accounts with pin code lock screen requirements. Vzw added a "feature" where you type if wrong 10 times and the phone will factory reset. With the lock screen gestures enabled it is much much easier to accidentally wipe your data due to this.

Until we get an insecure kernel that disables write protection to /system and can disable this "feature" be warned!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
A sync account meaning a google account? This "feature" is pretty damn annoying.

dottat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,020

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123421342 View Post
A sync account meaning a google account? This "feature" is pretty damn annoying.
anyone who selects or is forced to use a pin for their lockscreen....

dottat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,020

DONATE TO ME
Others are noticing ..

http://phandroid.com/2014/03/31/htc-...ecurity-video/

Once we have /system write access this is an easy fix to eliminate.

Article writers missed that point though...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

tehsquishmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 6
To be fair, this is SOP for any business that allows users to connect their phones to their corp e-mail...

I didn't watch the video, but I assume he didn't connect his phone to his work and download the policy?
The Following User Says Thank You to tehsquishmeister For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dottat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,020

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsquishmeister View Post
To be fair, this is SOP for any business that allows users to connect their phones to their corp e-mail...

I didn't watch the video, but I assume he didn't connect his phone to his work and download the policy?
Even BlackBerry makes you type in a confirmation. The wake gestures on this phone make it very easy to do in your pocket or bag.

l7777
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I don't think this is related to exchange, I think it's any lock screen. I use a pattern lock screen and it is the same. I've also turned off the gesture wake options.

dottat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,020

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by l7777 View Post
I don't think this is related to exchange, I think it's any lock screen. I use a pattern lock screen and it is the same. I've also turned off the gesture wake options.
Then it's a bigger ouch! We will be able to kill it once we get better root action.

MultiDev
Old
Thanks Meter 171
This annoyed the crap out of me. I travel constantly with my phone and if it gets wiped during travel (and losing pictures and documents), that would equal me being fired from my job. My companies exchange server enforces security, which is a good thing, but then I have this device wipe thing hanging on my mind. On other devices, I can simply turn off this absolutely retarded option.

I had the same problem on the HTC M7. Luckily it can be disabled with root.

Anyway, once we get a proper root, you can set the failed attempts = 0 in an system xml file and then you will be good to go.

Edit this file:

/system/customize/ACC/default.xml
change this:
Code:
  <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">10</item>
to this
Code:
  <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">0</item>
Reboot and its disabled.
The Following User Says Thank You to MultiDev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muffnman
Old
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
Exchange servers are known to push security policies which sometimes can hamper user experience and in some cases overstep the boundaries of BYOD setups in workplaces.

Using NitroDesk TouchDown for a few years now, allows an activesync connection to my work exchange server, but doesn't pull group policy to overtake my phone. I highly recommend it.. (man, that sounded like an ad)