Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 47,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unroot but keep current ROM?

Tip us?

SleepyDad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Unroot but keep current ROM?

My employer just implemented a new policy where they won't allow corporate email on a rooted phone. I'm currently running a rooted phone with a custom ROM.

I'm familiar with flashing, ODIN, etc. but I'm not sure if/how to unroot my phone but keep my current ROM (if possible).

Is this possible, thanks!

rkant18
Old
Thanks Meter 13
If you took the 4.3 update you're out of luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy s3 AT&T rooted, and stuck on 4.3 OTA for now

SleepyDad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I have the S3Rx 3.0 Rom installed currently, which is 4.3.

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyDad View Post
I have the S3Rx 3.0 Rom installed currently, which is 4.3.
Unroot and custom ROM are a contradiction in terms. Installing a custom ROM means making modifications to your device's operating system which necessarily requires root access. If you want to be compliant with this particular device, therefore, you would need to revert to the full 4.3 stock ROM. If you need to do this, there's a thread somewhere that contains the full 4.3 restore image.

milleralexis768
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I guess that this is not possible.

codemonkey98
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
Unroot and custom ROM are a contradiction in terms. Installing a custom ROM means making modifications to your device's operating system which necessarily requires root access. If you want to be compliant with this particular device, therefore, you would need to revert to the full 4.3 stock ROM. If you need to do this, there's a thread somewhere that contains the full 4.3 restore image.
Flashing a ROM does not require root. The custom recovery and the actual Android operating system are two completely different operating systems.

~~~~~

If your work isn't allowing you to be rooted on their email server, I believe you can hide root with a certain application that is on my tongue. I'll more than likely edit my post when it comes to my mind again.

Devices:
~~~~

Find my post helpful? Remember to click that button!

mkfryan
Old
Thanks Meter 191
I believe super user and super su both have unroot options. So you could get your ROM setup three way you want then unroot. Otherwise like codemonkey said I believe there is an app I've seen to hide root

Making the iPhone jealous one user at a time.

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey98 View Post
Flashing a ROM does not require root. The custom recovery and the actual Android operating system are two completely different operating systems.

~~~~~

If your work isn't allowing you to be rooted on their email server, I believe you can hide root with a certain application that is on my tongue. I'll more than likely edit my post when it comes to my mind again.

If you are flashing a custom ROM that does not require pre-root, it's because the root process is embedded into the whole installation process of the ROM itself. Thus, you may not see it but it's there all the same. The basic definition of root itself is making changes/gaining privileged access to the core of your phone's operating system which is what you are doing when you install a custom ROM. It may be possible indeed to hide root but it doesn't change the fact that it's there and it would all boil down to how the Company's enterprise system is set to function. If it is set up to use Knox security settings which mostly favors corporate environments, then it may be difficult to by-pass.

kalel420
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyDad View Post
My employer just implemented a new policy where they won't allow corporate email on a rooted phone. I'm currently running a rooted phone with a custom ROM.

I'm familiar with flashing, ODIN, etc. but I'm not sure if/how to unroot my phone but keep my current ROM (if possible).

Is this possible, thanks!
Look through the exposed framework module download section there should be me one there that will help you I saw it yesterday it says it will hide root from a app without uprooting your phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

vbetts
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Hide your root, easy as that.
xdadevelopers
Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
-AOSB 1.3.1 Kitkat 4.4.2
-3.4.79 cyanogenmod kernel