Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,069 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] BS from Sammy?

Tip us?

sacentre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] BS from Sammy?

I took my rooted N7000 to Sammy to get the headphone socket replaced. It got damaged when I snagged the cable on a door knob. The phone is out of warranty but the price quoted was perfectly reasonable. Now, having inspected it, they're telling me that because I rooted the phone, they will have to replace the motherboard at many times the original repair quote. They cannot or will not explain why being rooted prevents them from simply replacing the 3.5mm socket. It's just a mechanical repair and nothing to do with firmware or OS I assume.

The irony is, I took a rooted N8020 in for repair under warranty to have the entire display panel replaced FOC and they never made a murmur about it. It was still rooted with all my apps and recovery still intact.

Can anyone throw light on this?
Trevor

XxPixX
Old
Thanks Meter 464
Yeah, pretty much BS... just unroot it and take it to them again Make sure your flash count is at 0 and it is an official firmware.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
ROM: Homemade OmniROM KitKat 4.4 with a few cherry-picks
Version: January 12th 2014
Kernel: Stock Kernel

sacentre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPixX View Post
Yeah, pretty much BS... just unroot it and take it to them again Make sure your flash count is at 0 and it is an official firmware.
Thanks for the comment. I knew all along that rooting would invalidate the warranty. I can live with that and certainly would have returned it to stock ROM if I had been applying for in-warranty service. That doesn't explain why they were willing to repair my rooted GT-N8020 FOC under the warranty even after I pointed out that I'd rooted it. I can only think that they are willing to accept that in some cases the rooting has no bearing on the fault or its causes. I got them to agree that the crap or fungus on the inside of the display had nothing to do with my having rooted the device and the repair was carried out without charge for which I was extremely grateful.

My N7000, however, is long out of warranty and I assumed it would make no difference to them whether it was rooted or not given that the fault was (as was the case with the tablet) a) nothing to do with my having rooted the device AND b) I'd be paying for the repair anyway.

I had a lengthy conversation with a man from the service center today (they work Sundays here) which was a tad confusing. He couldn't claim that the rooting was connected in any way with the faulty audio socket nor offer any technical explanation as to why a motherboard replacement was necessary. I was half expecting to hear, "We can't do repairs involving individual components. We just replace the whole motherboard". That would have made sense because so much electronics repairing is done that way today. What scuppered that though, was having been given a quote for replacing just the socket when I took the phone in. The receptionist had records of similar repair jobs on the computer and was able to give me a pretty accurate quote so it seems it's a fairly routine job. This happened before the rooting became apparent, of course.

On the chance that a rooted device somehow made the repair work more difficult, I offered to re-flash it back to stock. This was declined as unnecessary. So ... if rooting (or un-rooting) makes no difference, why was I being asked to foot the bill for a new motherboard? No plausible explanation was offered.

They finally agreed to replace the faulty socket at the original quoted charge.

Sorry for the ramble but thanks for reading.