Exclamation [q] tf300tg cm11 why no 3g and wifi??

OP WhiteIntel

18th January 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hello folks,
why there is no working CyanogenMod 10.2 or 11 version available to get the 3G and the WIFI working?
Im interessted in the problems why they are not working...

I read at another forum, that the developers have no access to the kernel source code, what about at the kernel sources at the ASUS support site?
(Cant post a link, because Im a new forum user....)

Thanks for your replies and have a nice day
Greetings
WhiteIntel
18th January 2014, 02:10 PM   |  #2  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 407

511 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIntel

why there is no working CyanogenMod 10.2 or 11 version available to get the 3G and the WIFI working?

Because the developers don't have a TF300TG and so can't test on that device.

Have a look a the CM 11 thread, I just posted a fix for WiFi.
That was easy, but for radio to work, you'll have to find and motivate a developer with access to a TF300TG.

Quote:

I read at another forum, that the developers have no access to the kernel source code, what about at the kernel sources at the ASUS support site?

I think that is nonsense; as you say, the kernel code is easy to find.
The problem is no physical access to a TF300TG device for testing.
Or possibly time or rather missing motivation to find the time. Mind, making something like radio work takes a lot of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th January 2014, 12:55 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,125

11,638 posts
Donate to Me
More
The way I see it is the Asus Kernel has particular modules for the 3G and Wifi. On a stock based rom like CROMi-X or GrimLock this is easy to port as the kernel stays the same and you just implant the correct modules and xml files into the rom. However on CM10/11 etc you are talking about a completely different kernel that is not designed for your hardware. What needs to happen is someone needs to port the Asus Kernel (which remember is two versions behind the linux kernel used for CM11) to work with CM11.

I have a working Asus kernel but performance on CM11 is poor so I haven't done much with it. The best chance is if Asus give us an update which is unlikely to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th January 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #4  
Flag Munich

511 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

The way I see it is the Asus Kernel has particular modules for the 3G and Wifi. On a stock based rom like CROMi-X or GrimLock this is easy to port as the kernel stays the same and you just implant the correct modules and xml files into the rom. However on CM10/11 etc you are talking about a completely different kernel that is not designed for your hardware. What needs to happen is someone needs to port the Asus Kernel (which remember is two versions behind the linux kernel used for CM11) to work with CM11.

I have a working Asus kernel but performance on CM11 is poor so I haven't done much with it. The best chance is if Asus give us an update which is unlikely to happen.

Well, I don't think it would be too hard. WiFi is the same and should work on TF300TG with CM 11 now or in one of the upcoming nightlies (patch merged yesterday).

But I think for making radio work, you need physical access to a TF300TG. Looks like none of the experienced CM developers owns one, and so radio does not work... Unless a developer who owns a TF300TG steps up and invests the time to make it work.

Or is my view too simplistic?

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
19th January 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f69m

Have a look a the CM 11 thread, I just posted a fix for WiFi.

That fix wont work for me unfortunately...
19th January 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor

11,638 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, I don't think it would be too hard. WiFi is the same and should work on TF300TG with CM 11 now or in one of the upcoming nightlies (patch merged yesterday).

But I think for making radio work, you need physical access to a TF300TG. Looks like none of the experienced CM developers owns one, and so radio does not work... Unless a developer who owns a TF300TG steps up and invests the time to make it work.

Or is my view too simplistic?

There are extra modules and Init scripts for radios in the kernel for the 3G RIL and radio setup. Asus has these in their source for the specific hardware. The ROM also needs to know about this hardware so it has additional xml files that load the correct profiles. Someone needs to merge them into the CM source if you have a shot.
19th January 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #7  
Flag Munich

511 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

There are extra modules and Init scripts for radios in the kernel for the 3G RIL and radio setup. Asus has these in their source for the specific hardware. The ROM also needs to know about this hardware so it has additional xml files that load the correct profiles. Someone needs to merge them into the CM source if you have a shot.

Sure, lots of little details that need a lot of trial and error. Unlike WiFi, too much trial and error for posting an image and asking someone to try it out.

Well, we are not talking about me, I am really busy at porting Ubuntu Touch to my TF300T. I think the original question was, why is it not working? I think the reason is a lack of developers owning a TF300TG with physical access for quick trial and error. Seems you disagree?

19th January 2014, 09:53 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor

11,638 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sure, lots of little details that need a lot of trial and error. Unlike WiFi, too much trial and error for posting an image and asking someone to try it out.

Well, we are not talking about me, I am really busy at porting Ubuntu Touch to my TF300T. I think the original question was, why is it not working? I think the reason is a lack of developers owning a TF300TG with physical access for quick trial and error. Seems you disagree?

No I don't disagree. I agree, no devs I know have the TG.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 18

171 posts
More
logan10mc was once working on cm10 but I guess he stopped..
well :/ CM ist just muuuuuch smoother so it is really a pitty that radio is not working :\
31st January 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Quote:

That fix wont work for me unfortunately...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=456

This fix worked for me, but it was necessary to change the permissons.

Like this:
Code:
adb root
adb remount
adb push wifimacwriter /system/bin/
adb shell
su
chmod 777 /system/bin/wifimacwriter
adb reboot
Last edited by HennerM; 31st January 2014 at 09:51 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread