Question [Q] 4k video on Note Pro 12.2

OP shahidhussain

24th February 2014, 10:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

83 posts
I downloaded a 4k video from youtube and copied to Note Pro 12.2. It seems that Note Pro 12.2 cannot handle 4k videos properly. I tried multiple players including MX player. The HW decoder does not work and SW decoder lags and skips frames. Any suggestion for good 4k player for Note Pro 12.2 or any work around?
24th February 2014, 11:34 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 383

257 posts
because The Galaxy Note Pro comes with 2,5601,440 display = 2K video
you can't watch 4k video on 2k display
The Following User Says Thank You to ssaass For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2014, 12:04 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 13

104 posts
More
It's a limitation of the exynos soc. The snapdragon 800 will play 4k content, and can even record in some cases.

But as noted, since 4k is well beyond the native resolution of the screen, I'm not too worried about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to omegafiler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2014, 12:18 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaass

because The Galaxy Note Pro comes with 2,5601,440 display = 2K video
you can't watch 4k video on 2k display

It is not true. I can watch 4k video on my 2k monitor The real reason is the processor for sure.
24th February 2014, 02:25 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 104

501 posts
Also not concerned due to the very low occurance of 4k media. Im pretty sure others have 4k ciewing working on the exynos note 3 so check there maybe

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th February 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3

22 posts
Everyone realizes that it's physically impossible to see any difference between 1080p and 4k on any screen that's smaller than 60 inches?
24th February 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #7  

501 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123

Everyone realizes that it's physically impossible to see any difference between 1080p and 4k on any screen that's smaller than 60 inches?

Depends on your viewing distance. On a ten ench screen you could see the individual pixels of 1080p at about 8 inches. Too close for normal viewing really. 2k would be about 6 inches and 4k would be at 4 inches. Considering I can zoom anytime I need to and the screen is huge I doubt that I would ever need to hold it that close. The 12.2 is probably a bit farther on viewing distances but still held more than far enough away usually to not need 4k. Only advantage I would see would be art/graphic design.

25th February 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #8  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 181

797 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted

Depends on your viewing distance. On a ten ench screen you could see the individual pixels of 1080p at about 8 inches. Too close for normal viewing really. 2k would be about 6 inches and 4k would be at 4 inches. Considering I can zoom anytime I need to and the screen is huge I doubt that I would ever need to hold it that close. The 12.2 is probably a bit farther on viewing distances but still held more than far enough away usually to not need 4k. Only advantage I would see would be art/graphic design.

LOL at 44 years old, I'm lucky if I can even see my fingerprint on my fingers from less than 18-inches away without my reading glasses let alone 8.

I realize people want the most out of their devices and all but surely there's a point of diminishing returns somewhere.

That said, there's something to be said for wanting to ensure a device is future proof. If for example one expects to be shooting videos in 4k and would like to know that the device can handle playback of said material natively then it's reasonable to be concerned with that. I'm not sure how it would all pan out with regards to storage requirements and transfer of large video files but it would be nice if the device did support it out of the box.

Certainly not a deal breaker for me since I still shoot 1080p from my DSLRs.
25th February 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #9  

501 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

LOL at 44 years old, I'm lucky if I can even see my fingerprint on my fingers from less than 18-inches away without my reading glasses let alone 8.

I realize people want the most out of their devices and all but surely there's a point of diminishing returns somewhere.

That said, there's something to be said for wanting to ensure a device is future proof. If for example one expects to be shooting videos in 4k and would like to know that the device can handle playback of said material natively then it's reasonable to be concerned with that. I'm not sure how it would all pan out with regards to storage requirements and transfer of large video files but it would be nice if the device did support it out of the box.

Certainly not a deal breaker for me since I still shoot 1080p from my DSLRs.

Im certainly not saying 4k would be bad or unappreciated. However with the sparsity of media in that format and the extra power required to push those extra pixels (both gpu and battery) im personally fine with 2k until these concerns are addressed. Im reasonably sure It can play back 4k video though.......btw what dslr's are you shooting with? I want to replace my camcorder with an interchangeable lense camera for shooting parkour videos. Different lenses for various effects, 1080p 60fps shooting for slow motion, and shallow dof are things I want to play with. Iv been looking at the panasonic g6 mirroless 4/3. Iv read great things about it and many people on personal view contemd that it looks better than a hacked gh2 and almost comparable to the gh3.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahidhussain

I downloaded a 4k video from youtube and copied to Note Pro 12.2. It seems that Note Pro 12.2 cannot handle 4k videos properly. I tried multiple players including MX player. The HW decoder does not work and SW decoder lags and skips frames. Any suggestion for good 4k player for Note Pro 12.2 or any work around?

Try bs player and archos player with the free codec pack. Somewhere else on the forum a guy said that those both work for him. He even said he could play it on one side with multiwindow while on the browser in another.he was playing downloaded 4k videos btw. Another guy trying to play note 3 4k videos never had any success.

25th February 2014, 06:23 AM   |  #10  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 181

797 posts
Currently using a D7100. Can't say I recommend it for video but that's not why I have it anyhow. The video stuff I just dabble with.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4k video, note pro 12.2, video player
Previous Thread Next Thread