Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,911 Members 49,784 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] why does music stop playing randomly with headphones on?

Tip us?

bylithium
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] why does music stop playing randomly with headphones on?

Hello,
I have encountered this problem for a few weeks now (depends on what ROM I am on). I am on Carbon ROM as of now but the problem is that my music stops playing and sometimes when I press the play button once again it doesn't play until 1 minute or doesn't even play again. When on speaker I do not encounter this problem. I rely on music during my ride to school due to being on the bus for 40 - 50 minutes and I also skateboard therefore, I really need music to play, this really annoys me. I love KitKat and don't want to revert back to stock. Someone please help me!

Sent from my ATRIX HD using xda app-developers app
Currently owned device:
Motorola Atrix HD (AT&T)

ROM I'm currently using:
SOKP - Sonic Open Kang Project (4.4.4)

Dream device:
LG Nexus 5

Who am I?
Skateboarder & a graphics designer.

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2856
Quote:
Originally Posted by bylithium View Post
Hello,
I have encountered this problem for a few weeks now (depends on what ROM I am on). I am on Carbon ROM as of now but the problem is that my music stops playing and sometimes when I press the play button once again it doesn't play until 1 minute or doesn't even play again. When on speaker I do not encounter this problem. I rely on music during my ride to school due to being on the bus for 40 - 50 minutes and I also skateboard therefore, I really need music to play, this really annoys me. I love KitKat and don't want to revert back to stock. Someone please help me!

That's the one problem I can't test; my headphone jack doesn't work. Bluetooth works just fine, at least with Sync and to my PC.

Are you using the rom's music player or an aftermarket one? And if you know how, can you post a catlog and a dmesg? Those will give us an idea of what's up.

40 50 minutes. That sucks and I feel your pain. That's how long my bus ride was, but only because the high schoolers were next to last....something about getting the little kids off first. Didn't matter, I just walked since that was only 20 minutes. The worst part was that going to a store took 20 minutes, so if I needed something it took the same amount of time either way. Didn't skateboard or ride a bike cause they always got in the way going to places and parties after school.
If I managed to help you, click Thanks.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
If you need my help, add an @skeevydude to your post or quote me. I'll see it.
Thank You & Have a Nice Day.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
Atrix HD Off Topic Thread
"Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison

bylithium
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
I am using play music, I have installed many other music players but still encounter the same problem. How do I post a catlog and dmesg? Is it hard?

Yeah it sucks, specially when I skateboard I rely on my music to pump me up, I live in a rural area. We have middle schoolers in my bus so its more time. I live on the border of Washington and oregon. I can't go to Oregon school due to living in Washington ._.

Currently owned device:
Motorola Atrix HD (AT&T)

ROM I'm currently using:

Dream device:
LG Nexus 5

Who am I?

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2856
That sucks being on the border, until you're 21 at least, then that's a really good location for that area of the country. My long ride was close to yours in that it was because of transfers at other schools in the district (the tease was the bus went within a block of my school on the way to another one for more pickups).

For a logcat, either use the app Catlog (search Play) or have the SDK setup on your pc and run "adb logcat > C:\logcat.txt" and upload that text file. Dmesg is the same as logcat only the command is "adb shell dmesg > C:\dmesg.txt"

Both of those can also be done on the phone (as root) with

Code:
logcat > /mnt/sdcard/0/logcat.txt

dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/0/dmesg.txt
I tried to make the phone ones easy to copy/paste on mobile. Those are also for JB 4.2 roms and up. If you're on stock or 4.1.2 and under then remove the "/0" directory -- /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.

mauchito
Old
Thanks Meter 53
I had an issue like that but the problem was my headphones. I noticed that if I moved the jack in a certain way, it would stop playing music. Other thing that you can do is backup your system and flash again, maybe that can fix the annoying issue.

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchito View Post
I had an issue like that but the problem was my headphones. I noticed that if I moved the jack in a certain way, it would stop playing music. Other thing that you can do is backup your system and flash again, maybe that can fix the annoying issue.
That's how my headphone jack going out started. If any jack was plugged into it, any jack, the jack would need to be tweaked a bit for full stereo sound. Eventually that didn't work and now I don't have any sound at all from there, all I can do is BT audio now .

Interestingly enough, my Moto Bravo has the exact same problem, only the jack still works. I have an aluminum fence tie with just the right bends so it clips to my phone and tweaks my jack to the right position. See below

//Listening to Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter

mauchito
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevydude View Post
That's how my headphone jack going out started. If any jack was plugged into it, any jack, the jack would need to be tweaked a bit for full stereo sound. Eventually that didn't work and now I don't have any sound at all from there, all I can do is BT audio now .

Interestingly enough, my Moto Bravo has the exact same problem, only the jack still works. I have an aluminum fence tie with just the right bends so it clips to my phone and tweaks my jack to the right position. See below

//Listening to Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter
Lol, but it works! That's what matters!

bylithium
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevydude View Post
That sucks being on the border, until you're 21 at least, then that's a really good location for that area of the country. My long ride was close to yours in that it was because of transfers at other schools in the district (the tease was the bus went within a block of my school on the way to another one for more pickups).

For a logcat, either use the app Catlog (search Play) or have the SDK setup on your pc and run "adb logcat > C:\logcat.txt" and upload that text file. Dmesg is the same as logcat only the command is "adb shell dmesg > C:\dmesg.txt"

Both of those can also be done on the phone (as root) with

Code:
logcat > /mnt/sdcard/0/logcat.txt

dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/0/dmesg.txt
I tried to make the phone ones easy to copy/paste on mobile. Those are also for JB 4.2 roms and up. If you're on stock or 4.1.2 and under then remove the "/0" directory -- /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt.
I can not fund dmesg.txt in /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt , I can simply try it on my aunts PC since I don't have one myself. I'm at school therefore, I will post it around 5-6 pacific time.

Currently owned device:
Motorola Atrix HD (AT&T)

ROM I'm currently using:

Dream device:
LG Nexus 5

Who am I?

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2856
Quote:
Originally Posted by bylithium View Post
I can not fund dmesg.txt in /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt , I can simply try it on my aunts PC since I don't have one myself. I'm at school therefore, I will post it around 5-6 pacific time.

Try /storage/emulated/legacy for internal and /storage/sdcard/1 for the external, both for kitkat/jb42+. I'm not positive what other links the stock roms were using because I don't use them all that much.

russian392
Old
Thanks Meter 82
i have similar problem with play music on CM11
if i turn the screen off while playing music the phone will shut down.
NEXUS 5
Motorola Atrix HD - White - Cyanogenmod 11
HTC First - White - AOSP 4.1.2 Rooted
HTC One (M7) - Silver - Cyanogenmod 11
ZTE Avail - AOSP 2.3.7
LG Thrive - Cyanogenmod 10.2
XDA Premium