[Q] Wi-fi tethering hack on the vivid

8th March 2012, 09:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I had a skyrocket and was able to use titanium backup to freeze the tethering manager to open the tethering.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished on the htc vivid. I have a rooted vivid running cwm v2 and android 2.3.4
8th March 2012, 01:29 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Central Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 2,109

2,881 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplywithit

I had a skyrocket and was able to use titanium backup to freeze the tethering manager to open the tethering.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished on the htc vivid. I have a rooted vivid running cwm v2 and android 2.3.4

I had someone try to freeze TetheringGuard to see if it would work, but it didn't (WC's ICS build). I don't think this will be a valid process for the Vivid - I'm sure the devs have this in the back of their heads though. Patience, young padiwan. Have you tried Barnacle wifi tether or android wifi tether? I couldn't get either to work on wc's ICS build, but I don't know what ROM or android flavor you're running, so you might get different results
8th March 2012, 01:58 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

47 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeslice976

I had someone try to freeze TetheringGuard to see if it would work, but it didn't (WC's ICS build). I don't think this will be a valid process for the Vivid - I'm sure the devs have this in the back of their heads though. Patience, young padiwan. Have you tried Barnacle wifi tether or android wifi tether? I couldn't get either to work on wc's ICS build, but I don't know what ROM or android flavor you're running, so you might get different results

+1 I tried to freeze tetheringguard but didn't work. However, I believe you can change the APN settings To enable Wi-Fi tethering. The only catch is that it disables LTE

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
8th March 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #4  
Flag Wauwatosa
Thanks Meter: 31

242 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkSoftly

+1 I tried to freeze tetheringguard but didn't work. However, I believe you can change the APN settings To enable Wi-Fi tethering. The only catch is that it disables LTE

That would be handy. I don't live in an LTE area anyway. Do u know how?

Sent from my HTC Raider X710e using XDA App
8th March 2012, 02:42 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 8

47 posts
I can't post any links yet. But if you do a Google search for Motorola Atrix free Wi-Fi tethering you should find some information on how to change the APN settings. Let me know if it works.

11th March 2012, 10:01 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I tried that process on the vivid with titanium backup and it doesent work. Hopefully something else would work.
11th March 2012, 10:10 PM   |  #7  
Flag Lafayette, La
Thanks Meter: 120

558 posts
More
Copied from wildchilds forum.
[/quote]

Edited with working instructions:

Edited to avoid debate. I am posting this with working wifi tether on wild child's latest. Here's how -

Install android_wifi_tether b11 (http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...1.apk&can=2&q=)

Go into settings and set your "Device Profile" to Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM).

Tick the box for "Routing Fix"

Start Tethering

Connect from computer

Boom - tethered

Note: You may or may not need to use access control to allow your computer.
Note 2: It's very possible that you'll run into IP conflicts with the general setup. You might have to go to Change LAN and pick a new subnet.
Note 3: Problably not a bad idea to setup encryption
Note 4: I was initially getting DNS errors - don't know if it was Routing Fix that corrected it, or using OpenDNS DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) was what fixed it. So, if after doing everything else, if it's still not working hardcode OpenDNS servers for DNS Servers on your wireless connection[/quote]
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayv81 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2012, 02:56 AM   |  #8  
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 23

209 posts
More
didn't work for me. After tapping "start tethering" it takes a while, about 30 seconds, and finally says "tethering started with errors, check log for details." when i try to check the log, it says "no log file down". I can't see anything from my ipad.
13th March 2012, 12:14 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Central Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 2,109

2,881 posts
Donate to Me
More
This happened for me before I switched profiles and enabled routing fix, but now works like a charm. What Rom are you using?
13th March 2012, 05:03 PM   |  #10  
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 23

209 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeslice976

This happened for me before I switched profiles and enabled routing fix, but now works like a charm. What Rom are you using?

Rum float beta 3

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread