Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,909 Members 37,849 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wi-fi tethering hack on the vivid

Tip us?

uplywithit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Wi-fi tethering hack on the vivid

I had a skyrocket and was able to use titanium backup to freeze the tethering manager to open the tethering.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished on the htc vivid. I have a rooted vivid running cwm v2 and android 2.3.4

homeslice976
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2106

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplywithit View Post
I had a skyrocket and was able to use titanium backup to freeze the tethering manager to open the tethering.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished on the htc vivid. I have a rooted vivid running cwm v2 and android 2.3.4
I had someone try to freeze TetheringGuard to see if it would work, but it didn't (WC's ICS build). I don't think this will be a valid process for the Vivid - I'm sure the devs have this in the back of their heads though. Patience, young padiwan. Have you tried Barnacle wifi tether or android wifi tether? I couldn't get either to work on wc's ICS build, but I don't know what ROM or android flavor you're running, so you might get different results

WalkSoftly
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeslice976 View Post
I had someone try to freeze TetheringGuard to see if it would work, but it didn't (WC's ICS build). I don't think this will be a valid process for the Vivid - I'm sure the devs have this in the back of their heads though. Patience, young padiwan. Have you tried Barnacle wifi tether or android wifi tether? I couldn't get either to work on wc's ICS build, but I don't know what ROM or android flavor you're running, so you might get different results
+1 I tried to freeze tetheringguard but didn't work. However, I believe you can change the APN settings To enable Wi-Fi tethering. The only catch is that it disables LTE

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

jazzmoe76
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkSoftly View Post
+1 I tried to freeze tetheringguard but didn't work. However, I believe you can change the APN settings To enable Wi-Fi tethering. The only catch is that it disables LTE

That would be handy. I don't live in an LTE area anyway. Do u know how?

Sent from my HTC Raider X710e using XDA App
SGS4 White Hyperdrive rom

SGS3 White Hyperdrive rom

HTC Vivid Holics 0.8

Nook Color CM9 nightlies, OC 1200MHz

WalkSoftly
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I can't post any links yet. But if you do a Google search for Motorola Atrix free Wi-Fi tethering you should find some information on how to change the APN settings. Let me know if it works.

uplywithit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I tried that process on the vivid with titanium backup and it doesent work. Hopefully something else would work.

jayv81
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Copied from wildchilds forum.
[/quote]

Edited with working instructions:

Edited to avoid debate. I am posting this with working wifi tether on wild child's latest. Here's how -

Install android_wifi_tether b11 (http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...1.apk&can=2&q=)

Go into settings and set your "Device Profile" to Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM).

Tick the box for "Routing Fix"

Start Tethering

Connect from computer

Boom - tethered

Note: You may or may not need to use access control to allow your computer.
Note 2: It's very possible that you'll run into IP conflicts with the general setup. You might have to go to Change LAN and pick a new subnet.
Note 3: Problably not a bad idea to setup encryption
Note 4: I was initially getting DNS errors - don't know if it was Routing Fix that corrected it, or using OpenDNS DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) was what fixed it. So, if after doing everything else, if it's still not working hardcode OpenDNS servers for DNS Servers on your wireless connection[/quote]
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
Device:ONE X, Vivid, EVO 3D gsm, Inspire 3.5g, Flyer, iPad
Rom:Stock for now, WCX ILLUMINATI ICS SERIES MODDED Vivid ROM, LeeDroid 5.1, CoreDroid 8.1, LeeDroid Flyer HC 3.1, IOS 5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayv81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbddude
Old
Thanks Meter 23
didn't work for me. After tapping "start tethering" it takes a while, about 30 seconds, and finally says "tethering started with errors, check log for details." when i try to check the log, it says "no log file down". I can't see anything from my ipad.
Samsung Galaxy S4 for AT&T (SGH-i337)
Samsung Galaxy S III for AT&T (SGH-i747)

I use SugarSync instead of Dropbox. Sign up and get extra free space!

homeslice976
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2106

DONATE TO ME
This happened for me before I switched profiles and enabled routing fix, but now works like a charm. What Rom are you using?

sbddude
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeslice976 View Post
This happened for me before I switched profiles and enabled routing fix, but now works like a charm. What Rom are you using?
Rum float beta 3
Samsung Galaxy S4 for AT&T (SGH-i337)
Samsung Galaxy S III for AT&T (SGH-i747)

I use SugarSync instead of Dropbox. Sign up and get extra free space!