Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 45,829 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rolling back from NAE without bootloader

Tip us?

Syntaxerror999
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Rolling back from NAE without bootloader

As we all know attempting to roll back NAE trips knox...but it's been stated that rolling back without rolling b ask the bootloader will not trip knox...but this is unconfirmed. ..has anyone tried it? Anyone willing to?

And let's say I want to try it myself...I've never used Odin before now so how would you set it up to flash just the ROM?

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1,243
If you have the true Knox Bootloader - took the OTA or flashed via Odin...
As of now you CANNOT go back to a non-knoxed bootloader.
If you wish to try what has been done, probably hundreds if not thousands of times and try - go ahead. You'll find that out.
Your question is brought up a few times a week, sometimes a day here.
* NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.

daniel4653
Old
Thanks Meter 2,644
"Rolling back without rolling"? As leader stated you cannot roll back via Odin to a previous OTA build. And that is not what trips Knox. Rooting doesn't even trip Knox. Its installing a custom recovery that trips Knox.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel4653 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Menardo
Old
Thanks Meter 125

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel4653 View Post
"Rolling back without rolling"? As leader stated you cannot roll back via Odin to a previous OTA build. And that is not what trips Knox. Rooting doesn't even trip Knox. Its installing a custom recovery that trips Knox.

If i've already tripped knox, can i still install a custom recovery and flash the nae roms?

daniel4653
Old
Thanks Meter 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo View Post
If i've already tripped knox, can i still install a custom recovery and flash the nae roms?
Yes you can.

The Following User Says Thank You to daniel4653 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Menardo
Old
Thanks Meter 125

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yes you can.

Thanks for the reply.... do i need to install a recovery through odin or could i use goo manager? What would be the best option to install the newest Philz recovery? THanks again

Syntaxerror999
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

Ment to say "rolling back without rolling back the bootloader"...apparently auto correct decided I ment to say something else.

So basically. ..The attempt would just fail..and that's it..Ok all I needed to know...and thanks for the clarification on the custom recovery thing. I've read conflicting info.

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo View Post
Thanks for the reply.... do i need to install a recovery through odin or could i use goo manager? What would be the best option to install the newest Philz recovery? THanks again
Grab the latest 'unified' build from Philz site http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_A..._Edition/jflte and Odin it
* NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.

VancityStl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

So I took the OTA to 4.4.2, are you saying that there is a way I can root my phone without triggering know? Is a custom recovery necessary?

daniel4653
Old
Thanks Meter 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityStl View Post
So I took the OTA to 4.4.2, are you saying that there is a way I can root my phone without triggering know? Is a custom recovery necessary?
there was with 4.3 using Kingo app or Saferoot. But it seems neither have been updated to work with 4.4.2. CF auto root is the only way i know right now to root and that roots the phone my installing a temporary custom recovery which trips knox. so as of now there is no way to root 4.4.2 without tripping knox.