Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,481 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.3+] "App manager" - alternative to the default app manger

Tip us?

AndroidDeveloperLB
Old
(Last edited by AndroidDeveloperLB; 4th July 2014 at 04:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Thumbs up [APP][2.3+] "App manager" - alternative to the default app manger

After so long of developing apps for other people, I've decided to make one 100% by myself, and publish it.

The app is basically an alternative to the default app-manager of Android, and it provides some unique features that helps you manage and uninstall apps quicker and easier.

If you've found this app useful, please support it by sharing/donating/comment on the play store.

Installation link :

Some screenshots

So, here's some information about it:

Background
How many times have you tried to uninstall an app but found it annoyingly hard, whether you've forgot its name or it's hidden in a bunch of many apps you have?
Have you ever wanted to uninstall a built in app, which came from the carrier/manufacturer?
Are you a programmer/tester and need to uninstall/reset your apps frequiently?

If so, this is the app for you.

Short description
As I've written ,the purpose of this app is to replace the default app-manager, and ease the uninstallation task as much as possible.
The app is free and supports Android 2.3 and above, but works best from Android 4.0.
The app has ads (banners) but you can easily remove them by donating.

Who is it useful for?
The app is intended for multiple kinds of people:
  • For the common user, it's easier to perform searches of apps, easier to uninstall them, and easier to share them.
    It's also easier to go to the play store page of the app ,give feedback about it and contact the developers.
  • For power users, it's easier to uninstall built in apps (AKA "system apps"), like the bloatware that come with the OS.
  • For developers, QA, and beta testers, it's easier to uninstall/reset the recently installed app, by using widgets.
    You can also share apps as APK files, and see the version of the apps.

Features and advantages over other apps
  • Viewing of app types of apps, and not just those that you can launch (example: plugins, live wallpapers, keyboards,...).
  • Widgets, for quick uninstallation/reset of the most recently installed app.
  • Quick uninstallation of apps. For rooted devices, the uninstallation (and other operations) can be silent (in the background)
  • Easy uninstallation of apps that got admin privilages.
  • Ability to automatically add app shortcuts when they get installed, no matter how they got installed.
    Also the ability to choose which launcher will create the shortcuts.
  • Easy to use - one click to uninstall. Long click for multi-selection
  • Context menu options on selected app:
    • Run
    • Share Play store link, Amazon AppStore link, or even APK file (no need for Root)
    • Manage
    • Open app on the Play store.
    • Kill background process, or stop the app (needs root)
    • Quick reset of the app (needs root).
    • disable/enable app (needs root).
    • Create shortcut.
    • Search the app via your search engine or the Internet.
  • Sort the apps bysize, name, by package name, by date installed, and by date updated
  • Filter apps by:
    • System/user apps,
    • Enabled/disabled apps
    • Installation path : SD card / internal storage
    • Ability to uninstall system apps (Root only, and might not work on some cases)
  • Ability to replace the default uninstaller .
  • Detailed yet short view of the installed apps, including app name, package name, date insalled and version information.
  • Safe and automatic deletion of certain folders after uninstallation, that some Android OS versions don't handle for some reason.
  • Theme chooser, in case you don't like the cards UI.
  • Hopefully more to come, will be written about on the play store

Beta testing
Links for the beta testing group:
- https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...0777632147578/
- https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.lb.app_manager
Note that in order to be one of the beta testers group, I first need your real Gmail account.

Articles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled20140604162726.png
Views:	1919
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	2780242  
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to AndroidDeveloperLB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

newHere:)
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Thank you!

Very simple and useful app!
The Following User Says Thank You to newHere:) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidDeveloperLB
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by newHere:) View Post
Thank you!

Very simple and useful app!

You're welcomed, and I do hope that it will succeed as I wish to improve it even more and make other useful and cool apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidDeveloperLB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-CALIBAN666-
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3193
cool app,very helpfull for me,because im test so many apps from here and now its much easier to deinstalling,i like it!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to -CALIBAN666- For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidDeveloperLB
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by -CALIBAN666- View Post
cool app,very helpfull for me,because im test so many apps from here and now its much easier to deinstalling,i like it!!!
Yes, that's actually why I made the app myself, since I am both a developer and a user that tries out many apps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndroidDeveloperLB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

biton_d
Old
Thanks Meter 5
will try it!! sounds nice
The Following User Says Thank You to biton_d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidDeveloperLB
Old
(Last edited by AndroidDeveloperLB; 5th April 2014 at 10:43 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
I would like to get some feedback from you people:

1. What is the best feature that you liked on the app?

2. What is the best feature that you'd like to have?

3. In case you have a good English accent, have the ability to record your device, would you like to put your video review?
If so, I will put your video (if it's good enough) on the play store, along with credits (or you put them at the end of the video if you wish).
No ads in the video, please .
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidDeveloperLB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KNIGHT97
Old
Thanks Meter 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidDeveloperLB View Post
I would like to get some feedback from you people:

1. What is the best feature that you liked on the app?

2. What is the best feature that you'd like to have?

3. In case you have a good English accent, have the ability to record your device, would you like to put your video review?
If so, I will put your video (if it's good enough) on the play store, along with credits (or you put them at the end of the video if you wish).
No ads in the video, please .
Well overall, the app is quite streamline and easy to navigate.
And the making of APK to share file is the best feature that I liked.
It would be nice if the app could have the feature to natively share apks of different apps, from within, using wifi direct, if another device has this installed. Would make it even better.

About the review, I have had some experience with them, so i'll give it a shot tomorrow morning, it's 10 pm here at the moment so I can't prepare and edit now.
The Following User Says Thank You to KNIGHT97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maddbomber83
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
I like this, for me the most useful part is the sorting by install and updated. Enough that I did the donation thing to get rid of the ads.

Some suggestions:
Tabs or Drawers / Categories with Tags
- The way this would work is that you can tag apps with categories (each app being able to be tagged with as many categories as the user likes). For instance, I may make a category for frequently used and camera. I would tag my several camera apps with the camera tag, and the one I use most I would also tag with the frequently used tag.
- Then, when searching I could search for the tags as well, such as searching frequently used and all those with that tag would come up.
- Going a step further is the creation of preset tag search tabs. So at the top, or side or wherever it fits best, there may be a place for the Camera Tab Search that I would select it and see all my camera apps.

I think the above feature would make organizing and accessing the apps even more awesome.

The next suggestion is moving towards replacing the stock app manager.
- I use XPosed with Gravity Box. I set up the long press of the home button to launch your App Manager.
- I also use the GEL Settings that changes the Home Button into the Apps Button when you are already on your home screen. It would be awesome if you did the same, but instead made it link to your app.
The Following User Says Thank You to maddbomber83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidDeveloperLB
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHT97 View Post
Well overall, the app is quite streamline and easy to navigate.
And the making of APK to share file is the best feature that I liked.
It would be nice if the app could have the feature to natively share apks of different apps, from within, using wifi direct, if another device has this installed. Would make it even better.

About the review, I have had some experience with them, so i'll give it a shot tomorrow morning, it's 10 pm here at the moment so I can't prepare and edit now.
Thank you for sharing your opinion.

About sharing via Wifi-Direct, isn't it already possible in case both devices have an app for sharing stuff over Wifi-Direct?
For example, using "SuperBeam" ? I never tested the app or the feature, but I think it's already possible, no?
Some Roms (and I think it includes some stock Roms) even have this built in, as I remember.
Not sure though, if any of those solutions share APK files, or just media files.
Since I don't have multiple devices, I can't check it out, and I'm not sure if I will be able to develop it in a way without any bugs...