Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,065 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it worth the risk to unlock

Tip us?

arcsum68
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Is it worth the risk to unlock

Bought my 10 year old this tablet last year for Xmas and it's laggy as all get out IMO. Love my android phones and will never switch, but I also love by iPad /gasp!

I am wondering if unlocking and rom'ing this thing will really make enough difference.

I have rooted and rom'ed every phone I have ever had, but I also use them daily so I get to play around with roms and figure out whats stable and works really well. I am also a little nervous about this thing, so many instructions and various ways to do things depending on which update your on.

The tab is 4.2.1 10.6.1.24.5

Any opinions on this and/or suggestions on what roms to try out if I go for it?

cmendonc2
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Bought my 10 year old this tablet last year for Xmas and it's laggy as all get out IMO. Love my android phones and will never switch, but I also love by iPad /gasp!

I am wondering if unlocking and rom'ing this thing will really make enough difference.

I have rooted and rom'ed every phone I have ever had, but I also use them daily so I get to play around with roms and figure out whats stable and works really well. I am also a little nervous about this thing, so many instructions and various ways to do things depending on which update your on.

The tab is 4.2.1 10.6.1.24.5

Any opinions on this and/or suggestions on what roms to try out if I go for it?
Unlocking and flashing custom ROMs is a major improvement over stock. If you want stability and performance, CROMi. If you want performance and cutting edge, CM or another KK ROM.

Just be careful about what to flash and always ask questions is there is any doubt.
My Devices:

[Retired] Nook Color (CM10)

LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C (Stock, rooted)

Asus Tf300t (CM11)

Transformers: Install NvFlash for JellyBean Transformer bootloader to become unbrickable HERE Guide: Here!
Wantfree phone and tablet accessories or Google Play gift cards? Go HERE

arcsum68
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2 View Post
Unlocking and flashing custom ROMs is a major improvement over stock. If you want stability and performance, CROMi. If you want performance and cutting edge, CM or another KK ROM.

Just be careful about what to flash and always ask questions is there is any doubt.
Thanks, think I will check it out. Wish there was a path back to stock though.

cmendonc2
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Thanks, think I will check it out. Wish there was a path back to stock though.
You can always reflash the stock ROM to go back to stock, but only if you haven't bricked your tablet.
My Devices:

[Retired] Nook Color (CM10)

LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C (Stock, rooted)

Asus Tf300t (CM11)

Transformers: Install NvFlash for JellyBean Transformer bootloader to become unbrickable HERE Guide: Here!
Wantfree phone and tablet accessories or Google Play gift cards? Go HERE

arcsum68
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Made a backup of the stock unrooted rom, then rooted and backed up the apps. Loaded up Cromi and all is working well. So far I cant say it's that much of an improvement, with the exception of browsing. Flash will be nice too.

Should I feel like its a huge improvement? Maybe I needed to pick a different kernel.