Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,914 Members 45,347 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NB4 vs MDL Modem

Tip us?

mikenike500
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default NB4 vs MDL Modem

What is the difference between the two?

Is one better than the other?

If i'm on MDL is it advised to flash the NB4 modem?

Sorry if I sound extremely stupid, I have no idea what these modems are. New to S4.

PanchoPlanet
Old
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
One is newer than the other, NB4, but other than that it all depends on what works for you. NB4 is newer but you may get better signal with mdl, and that you find out by flashing one, trying it for a day or two and vice versa.
Just read and read again so you know what to do and you don't Bork up your phone.

Pp.

Sent from my Tab using mind control while I sit in your closet.
Sent from my Ginger infused Asus G73.

bobolinko
Old
(Last edited by bobolinko; 30th March 2014 at 05:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike500 View Post
What is the difference between the two?

Is one better than the other?

If i'm on MDL is it advised to flash the NB4 modem?

Sorry if I sound extremely stupid, I have no idea what these modems are. New to S4.
Let's explain it this way:
I live in WA where on the road fronting my home, I get great reception. Enter my home and anywhere you try, it wavers between 1 to 3 bars on EDGE, and rarely, 4G. I updated the original modem to the MDL and got a hair better reception, but forever still dropping calls. I installed a booster in the house and it just barely keeps a signal on the phone...(You cannot amplify what is not there, right?)

Enter the Flash for M919UVUFNB4.... Now, I never see EDGE, lots of bars on 4G and very frequently 4G LTE!
have not had a dropped call since installing the MODEM,bin and not looking back.

I also tried flashing the NON-HLOS.bin that I found with the Modem.bin file in a post for the SG4 and it worked fine....

I loaded another ROM and re-flashed the FNB4 modem + the NON-HLOS.bin and NO SOUND!

I re-loaded the previous ROM and re-flashed the Modem.bin, and DID NOT FLASH THE NON-HLOS.bin (LTE part) and I am again back in business, with solid connections and more bars that I never had before flashing the latest Modem.bin

Just fyi, I am on 4.2.2 I say, GO FOR IT! You will not regret the improvement!

Here's where I got information and you might be more comfortable after reading this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2678774

Aloha and Good Luck!

mikenike500
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
I live in WA where on the road fronting my home, I get great reception. Enter my home and anywhere you try, it wavers between 1 to 3 bars on EDGE, and rarely, 4G. I updated the original modem to the MDL and got a hair better reception, but forever still dropping calls. I installed a booster in the house and it just barely keeps a signal on the phone...(You cannot amplify what is not there, right?)

Enter the Flash for M919UVUFNB4.... Now, I never see EDGE, lots of bars on 4G and very frequently 4G LTE!
have not had a dropped call since installing the MODEM,bin and not looking back.

I also tried flashing the NON-HLOS.bin that I found with the Modem.bin file in a post for the SG4 and it worked fine....

I loaded another ROM and re-flashed the FNB4 modem + the NON-HLOS.bin and NO SOUND!

I re-loaded the previous ROM and re-flashed the Modem.bin, and DID NOT FLASH THE NON-HLOS.bin (LTE part) and I am again back in business, with solid connections and more bars that I never had before flashing the latest Modem.bin

Aloha and Good Luck!
Right now I get Edge on all 3 of my Metro phones at my house. When I'm in the designated service area I get their 4G LTE and speeds of around 10mb/sec.

Would it really make much of a difference? Isn't there no LTE in certain areas?

bobolinko
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike500 View Post
Right now I get Edge on all 3 of my Metro phones at my house. When I'm in the designated service area I get their 4G LTE and speeds of around 10mb/sec.

Would it really make much of a difference? Isn't there no LTE in certain areas?
You never can tell, it just might boost your 4G signals as well. I very rarely saw 4G and i see it quite often now, especially since LTE cannot do voice calling, it now switches to 4G insetad of Edge.....

It's not a hard thing to do. 2 minutes tops! Just make a backup before you do the flash just in case Murphy decides to pop in.....

easy enough to un-do as well. just look for the MDL modem.bin, flash that, and it is where it is right now....

easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy....

Good Luck and Aloha !

Harmtan2
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post

Here's where I got information and you might be more comfortable after reading this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2678774

Aloha and Good Luck!

I know T-Mobile has said they are moving some LTE over the the 1900 PCS spectrum. I'm guessing that the NB4 is updated to be able to read the signal on that. They have commited to updating all 2g sites to LTE by mid 2015. Source (http://www.tmonews.com/2014/03/t-mob...suing-verizon/) I bet that's why you saw a huge jump in LTE service.