5,815,022 Members 39,400 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

is this the correct plan to s-off and root a stock phone?

Tip us?

j13smiley
Old
(Last edited by j13smiley; 10th December 2012 at 05:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default is this the correct plan to s-off and root a stock phone?

1 - follow unlimited.io instructions - http://unlimited.io/fireball.htm which will include basic android sdk (minimum of adb and fastboot) on a pc that meets dirty racun specs.

2 - step 12 calls for temproot, best way is use excerpts from team fireballas fakecid directions. all that is needed is "Quick how-to temproot (written by captainrewind):" part 1.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1986346

3 - complete dirty racun instructions, s-off will then be achieved.

4 - now root needs done, return to team fireballas thread, post 2, and install recovery (twrp).

5 - install superuser or supersu again using team fireballas thread post 2 or the play store.

this will give me a rooted phone with s-off and stock software. i can now install apps that require root (wifi tether, adblock, root explorer, etc.), use recovery to do nandroids and install custom roms if i want.

what did i miss?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j13smiley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

junkmail9
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by j13smiley View Post
QUESTION - step 6 says to relock your phone... if my phone is still stock do i still need to do this? what exactly is it doing?
This guarantees you are locked. It doesn't do anything bad if you already are locked.

Patgt500
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You don't have to install the android sdk. The dirtyracun folder has a simple short version, just cd to that folder, or open cmd from the shortcut included in it and you'll have adb needed to get s-off.

j13smiley
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
thanks guys - i updated the op...

bberryhill0
Old
Thanks Meter 148
I'm going to do this one of these days. Thanks for the checklist.

ed.slatt
Old
(Last edited by ed.slatt; 11th January 2014 at 07:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default trouble with 11-Jan-14 update

Hello,

I applied this procedure on 30-Sep-13 and it worked beautifully. I've enjoyed root access until this morning when I clicked ok for a software upgrade. Now my phone seems to be in an endless loop showing some console content and then showing a graphic that says teamwin. Some of the console output references preparing and running skin_fota tool.

Does anyone have advice to how I might get back to a stable phone?

Thanks.

Ed

Update:

I pulled and restored the battery and the phone seems to have come back but I lost root access..

j13smiley
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.slatt View Post
Hello,

I applied this procedure on 30-Sep-13 and it worked beautifully. I've enjoyed root access until this morning when I clicked ok for a software upgrade. Now my phone seems to be in an endless loop showing some console content and then showing a graphic that says teamwin. Some of the console output references preparing and running skin_fota tool.

Does anyone have advice to how I might get back to a stable phone?

Thanks.

Ed

Update:

I pulled and restored the battery and the phone seems to have come back but I lost root access..
did you try to install the verizon ota update? i'm surprised you could even install it...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2601175

ed.slatt
Old
(Last edited by ed.slatt; 15th January 2014 at 03:33 PM.) Reason: rewording
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
did you try to install the verizon ota update? i'm surprised you could even install it...
Thanks for the link.

Yes I tried the install and I let it cycle as described above for about four hours. Then I made the post and finally pulled the battery to see if the phone would come back on its own, which it did. I can't say for sure if the update was success because I finally slammed it down by removing the battery but after four days, the phone has been perfectly stable and does indicate 2.19.605.2 710RD.

I've tested that I no longer have root but I haven't yet checked if I still have S-OFF. Is it expected that I should still have S-OFF?

Thanks.

stringedonbass
Old
(Last edited by stringedonbass; 31st March 2014 at 03:46 AM.) Reason: Adding link
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I had trouble running DirtyRacun's update, (March 30th, 2014), and it would appear that it is because I took an OTA update at some point in February. If this is the case, I can tell you I had success with following this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2664460