Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus file transfer tedious.

Tip us?

poikilo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Nexus file transfer tedious.

Hi all,

Of late i have been facing this issue of transferring media files from PC to my nexus 10. On connection, MyComputer just crawls and whenever it connects the file transfer bar shows virtually no progress. Even if the file is just a few MB. I also have 2 users on this tablet and on the other user the same thing happens. I have to do multiple restarts to fix this and multiple file transfers is not possible as the whole PC hangs and Windows Explorer crashes.

Any help will be appriciated.

PS. Windows 7 OS and stock N10 with 4.4.2
My Devices

Phone : Galaxy S4
Model : GT-I9500
TouchWiz : 4.3
Kernel version : 3.4.5-1938685
Baseband version : I9500XXUEMJ8
Build number : JSS15J.I9500XXUEMJ8
Csc : KSA ( Saudi Arabia )
Root Status : Non Rooted

Tablet : Google Nexus 10
Android Version : 4.4.2
Kernel version :
Build number :

XxLordxX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 943

DONATE TO ME
Hi,

While I can't help you with the Windows issue I can offer you a temporary solution! Which is using adb push.

To do as such please go to the Manta Help Thread and check how to set up adb and enable USB Debugging. From there you will now open a terminal in the folder you want to copy the files and type:

Code:
Select Code
adb push *filename* /sdcard/
Now the file is in your Nexus 10, if you want to push many files, I suggest creating one folder with the files and pushing the folder itself.

Code:
Select Code
adb push *foldername*/ /sdcard/
Hope this helps a little . I use it a lot since my Fedora can't recognise MTP hahaha .

~Lord

"All I ever needed was a little piece of hope" - World of Fantasy (Helloween)
Sent from my Xperia Z1

peterk-1
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Have you looked at the wifi file transfer apps? - I've never tried them because I'm rooted and use Sambadroid.

Re the transfer speed problem I've a vague recollection that a USB 1 device, like a keyboard will pull other usb 2 devices on the same hub down to usb1 speeds. Have you tried other usb sockets? Other things you can try are disabling USB Legacy Support and enabling AHCI in your BIOS.

If you decide to pursue the USB problem then you may find these progs helpful
There's a microsoft program usbview.exe that you can get from MS here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx It's also here http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/usbview.zip . My copy is copyright 1996-98 and it runs under W8.1

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

poikilo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLordxX View Post
Hi,

While I can't help you with the Windows issue I can offer you a temporary solution! Which is using adb push.

To do as such please go to the Manta Help Thread and check how to set up adb and enable USB Debugging. From there you will now open a terminal in the folder you want to copy the files and type:

Code:
Select Code
adb push *filename* /sdcard/
Now the file is in your Nexus 10, if you want to push many files, I suggest creating one folder with the files and pushing the folder itself.

Code:
Select Code
adb push *foldername*/ /sdcard/
Hope this helps a little . I use it a lot since my Fedora can't recognise MTP hahaha .

~Lord

"All I ever needed was a little piece of hope" - World of Fantasy (Helloween)
Sent from my Xperia Z1
Will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk-1 View Post
Have you looked at the wifi file transfer apps? - I've never tried them because I'm rooted and use Sambadroid.

Re the transfer speed problem I've a vague recollection that a USB 1 device, like a keyboard will pull other usb 2 devices on the same hub down to usb1 speeds. Have you tried other usb sockets? Other things you can try are disabling USB Legacy Support and enabling AHCI in your BIOS.

If you decide to pursue the USB problem then you may find these progs helpful
There's a microsoft program usbview.exe that you can get from MS here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx It's also here http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/usbview.zip . My copy is copyright 1996-98 and it runs under W8.1

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
Thanks
My Devices

Phone : Galaxy S4
Model : GT-I9500
TouchWiz : 4.3
Kernel version : 3.4.5-1938685
Baseband version : I9500XXUEMJ8
Build number : JSS15J.I9500XXUEMJ8
Csc : KSA ( Saudi Arabia )

Tablet : Google Nexus 10
Android Version : 4.4.2
Kernel version :
Build number :

nigelhealy
Old
Thanks Meter 97
You've had a few tangential suggestions, the ADB push being the fastest with the hardware and software you have currently.

I don't actually store files on my "PC" really as my source, I store them on a NAS and then pull them either to my PC or my other devices. This makes all my devices "stateless" as I find individual devices I'm moving around with ultimately break more often so I prefer the NAS route. My NAS is a Raspberry Pi running Rasbian with a 1TB USB hardd drive and a 64GB OTG flashdrive.

You can add to the other ideas:
  • Airdroid which runs a small web server on your Android device and you access the Android device from browser on PC and push files, at Wifi speeds.
  • run web server on your "PC" and then in Android just get them in a download app. My "PC" is Linux and its running Apache and I either SSH from the PC to the Android and then wget the file or use of the file download methods inside Android.
  • USB OTG stick which also serves to augment capacity, I get about 22MB/s from USB to inside N10

One other indirect thing, is when you do a full Android flash wipe it seems to reformat and speed up the filesystem better than if you've done an upgrade, although I never benchmarked it to know, just an impression.
Nexus 5 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX, Nexus 7 2013 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX, Nexus 10 Stock 4.4.4 + Franco