[GUIDE] How to fix the "Home & Menu Button Not Working Bug" [GUIDE]

21st February 2012, 11:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 138

1,047 posts
More
Welcome Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch Users...

Are you having an issue where you cannot get your home or menu button to work, but if you hold home, a list of recent applications pops up when you do it while in certain applications???

[This thread was created for D710 Gingerbread Users. This method may be outdated on later software and firmwares. Again, proceed with caution.]

Here should be a working fix:

Boot in to CWM by using the following steps:

How to Boot into REGULAR CWM:
Code:
1. Turn off Device.
2. Wait 5-10 Seconds
3. Hold the Power and Volume Up Key at the Same Time
4. Continue
How to Boot into TOUCH CWM:
Code:
1. Turn off Device.
2. Wait 5-10 Seconds
3. Hold the Power and Volume Up Key, and HOME button at the Same Time
4. Continue
Go into "Wipe Data"
Click "Wipe Cache"
When you get a prompt asking you to continue, go down to yes and hit the power button, (or touch on the screen for touch users.)
Click "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
When you get a prompt asking you to continue, go down to yes and hit the power button, (or touch on the screen for touch users.)

Go down to "Go Back", then press the Power Button to Reboot...

Please Note: It will take anywhere from 3-10 minutes or less for your phone to reboot as your cache and dalvik cache need to be rebuilt...

Good luck!
Last edited by deedscreen; 7th May 2014 at 02:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deedscreen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th July 2012, 10:02 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Menu & Back Key Problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedscreen

welcome samsung galaxy sii epic 4g touch users...

Are you having an issue where you cannot get your home or menu button to work, but if you hold home, a list of recent applications pops up when you do it while in certain applications???

Suffer no more, as the deedster has found a fix.

Boot in to cwm by using the following steps:

how to boot into regular cwm:

Code:
1. Turn off device.
2. Wait 5-10 seconds
3. Hold the power and volume up key at the same time
4. Continue
how to boot into touch cwm:
Code:
1. Turn off device.
2. Wait 5-10 seconds
3. Hold the power and volume up key, and home button at the same time
4. Continue
go into "wipe data"
click "wipe cache"
when you get a prompt asking you to continue, go down to yes and hit the power button, (or touch on the screen for touch users.)
click "wipe dalvik cache"
when you get a prompt asking you to continue, go down to yes and hit the power button, (or touch on the screen for touch users.)

go down to "go back", then press the power button to reboot...

please note: It will take anywhere from 3-10 minutes or less for your phone to reboot as your cache and dalvik cache need to be rebuilt...

if you have anymore questions, post below, and i will respond as soon as possible...

Don't forget to throw me a thanks, by clicking the thanks button, or click the "cookie monster" which if you are reading this a while after this post may not be there anymore, and you may donate, if you'd like and buy me a monster energy drink, ummmmmm yummmm, my favorite!!!!

can this proceedure be used for samsung galaxy note e160l. ?
25th July 2012, 08:37 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Connecticut

1,047 posts
More
Wow, I made this thread ages ago, I completely forgot about this...

The procedure to access CWM is probably different for your Galaxy Note, but the data steps should be the same...

Please note, I, xda, nor the xda community are responsible for any damage or data loss... This will also clear your applications cache... please proceed with caution...

If you need help, I will try my best to assist you but I an not an owner of the Samsung Galaxy Note, and this procedure was based for Gingerbread devices (Epic Touch), so it may be worth a try but XDA nor myself will be responsible for adverse effects... Proceed with caution and do not format your device nor factory reset as that will reset everything... Good Luck!
Last edited by deedscreen; 7th May 2014 at 02:36 PM.
7th May 2014, 02:26 PM   |  #4  
Flag Colombo
Thanks Meter: 19

105 posts
More
Unhappy
Quote:

Welcome Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch Users...

Suffer no more, as the DeedSter has found a fix.

Boot in to CWM by using the following steps:

How to Boot into REGULAR CWM:

Code:
1. Turn off Device.
2. Wait 5-10 Seconds
3. Hold the Power and Volume Up Key at the Same Time
4. Continue
How to Boot into TOUCH CWM:
Code:
1. Turn off Device.
2. Wait 5-10 Seconds
3. Hold the Power and Volume Up Key, and HOME button at the Same Time
4. Continue
Go into "Wipe Data"
Click "Wipe Cache"
Click "Wipe Dalvik Cache"

Go down to "Go Back", then press the Power Button to Reboot...

Please Note: It will take anywhere from 3-10 minutes or less for your phone to reboot as your cache and dalvik cache need to be rebuilt...

If you have anymore questions, post below, and I will respond as soon as possible...

Don't forget to Throw me a THANKS, by clicking the THANKS button, or Click the "Cookie Monster" which if you are reading this a while after this post may not be there anymore, and you may donate, if you'd like and buy me a Monster Energy Drink, ummmmmm yummmm, my FAVORITE!!!!

I edited the build.prop for get the navigation bar on my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE (SHV-E110S) after getting the navigation bar my menu key and back key isn't working :'( :'(
i replace the original build.prop but still my menu key and back key osn't working :'(
i did the hard reset and wipe cache n all the stuffz, even i replaced a new firmware,new custom roms but still it isnt working
plzzzzz help :'(
7th May 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Connecticut

1,047 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinura kithmal

I edited the build.prop for get the navigation bar on my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE (SHV-E110S) after getting the navigation bar my menu key and back key isn't working :'( :'(
i replace the original build.prop but still my menu key and back key osn't working :'(
i did the hard reset and wipe cache n all the stuffz, even i replaced a new firmware,new custom roms but still it isnt working
plzzzzz help :'(

What version of Android are you running? The original thread was made for those running Gingerbread a few years back.

You may have disabled the keys in the build prop. I would backup everything and possibly ODIN back to stock, however there is a slight chance that this is a hardware issue.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to deedscreen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #6  
Flag Colombo

105 posts
More
Quote:

What version of Android are you running? The original thread was made for those running Gingerbread a few years back.

You may have disabled the keys in the build prop. I would backup everything and possibly ODIN back to stock, however there is a slight chance that this is a hardware issue.

iam using jelly bean 4.1.2
i didn't do anything for the keys, just added the line "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" to the build.prop
anyways um sorry this may be a wrong thread btw i saw some menu key problem thtz y i just posted this,
this only happened after messed up the build.prop, so i dnt think there is anything wit da harware side
anyways tnx fr the reply
7th May 2014, 03:14 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Connecticut

1,047 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinura kithmal

CONTENT

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 may be worth a try if you haven't gotten it working yet.

7th May 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #8  
Flag Colombo

105 posts
More
Unhappy
Quote:

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 may be worth a try if you haven't gotten it working yet.

No bro i tried it :/ but still it wont work :/
i think it's never gonna work :'(

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
buttons not working, faulty buttons, home button, home menu not working, menu buttons
Previous Thread Next Thread