Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,422 Members 43,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"The Galaxy S5 Has The Best Smartphone Display Ever!"

Tip us?

msavic6
Old
(Last edited by msavic6; 31st March 2014 at 07:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Default "The Galaxy S5 Has The Best Smartphone Display Ever!"

Display Mate has done there testing on the display of the S5 and have crowned the S5 with the title of "Best Smartphone Display"

The S5 improves over the S4 in pretty much every single way, brightness is vastly improved allowing the S5 to reach a brightness of 650+ Nits on auto brightness while screen reflectance has been reduced. Color accuracy is also vastly improved.

Quote:
Even more impressive is that when Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S5 hits an incredible 698 cd/m2 in high Ambient Light, where high Screen Brightness is really needed, which is 47 percent brighter than the Galaxy S4 and 6 percent brighter than the Note 3 with Automatic Brightness turned On its the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested.
Quote:
The Galaxy S5 display delivers 22 percent higher Brightness than the Galaxy S4 with the same display power. Taking into account its 4 percent larger screen area, the Galaxy S5 has an impressive 27 percent improvement in display power efficiency over the Galaxy S4. Turning this around, for the same screen Brightness the Galaxy S5 uses 18 percent less display power than the Galaxy S4, which helps improve the running time on battery.
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msavic6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bilhouse
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Pretty impressive to see OLED displays mature so quickly. Also surprising as most articles just mention the .1 inch increase over the S4 as the only major difference between the two phones.

plasmastate
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Came here to start my own thread about this news but you beat me to it

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SolarTrans
Old
Thanks Meter 231
First thing I noticed about the S5 was it's immaculate display. The first AMOLED display DisplayMate tested ranked at the very bottom of their list, (about 4 years ago) and now it's at the top. I'm impressed.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
HTC One M7 (64GB, Developer Edition)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, Google Play Edition)
Nexus 5 (32GB, White)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
OnePlus One (64GB)
Sony Z Ultra (Google Play Edition)
iPad mini with Retina Display (128GB, AT&T LTE)
HTC One M8 (32GB, Google Play Edition)
LG G3 Cat. 6 (32GB, White)
LG G Watch (Black)
The Following User Says Thank You to SolarTrans For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

calvin35
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I agree that the screen was very nice when I used it as well. Hell, everything was really nice. The S5 is going to win over some Samsung haters because of how good it is. Samsung did a great job with this phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to calvin35 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SolarTrans
Old
Thanks Meter 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post
I agree that the screen was very nice when I used it as well. Hell, everything was really nice. The S5 is going to win over some Samsung haters because of how good it is. Samsung did a great job with this phone.

Yep! These days, if you can't find any major complaints with a phone, that's plenty reason to love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Nexus 5 (32GB, White)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
OnePlus One (64GB)
LG G Watch (Black)
The Following User Says Thank You to SolarTrans For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

msavic6
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
It really shows that Samsung wasn't joking when they said they were going back to the basics. They have improved the Camera tremondously, the display is in a whole new realm and battery life has been tested and shown to be better than the Note 3's. Add to that mix the solid build quality and the speedy performance of touchwiz and Samsung has a true winner on there hands.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

SolarTrans
Old
Thanks Meter 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
It really shows that Samsung wasn't joking when they said they were going back to the basics. They have improved the Camera tremondously, the display is in a whole new realm and battery life has been tested and shown to be better than the Note 3's. Add to that mix the solid build quality and the speedy performance of touchwiz and Samsung has a true winner on there hands.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I scoffed at the S5 when Samsung revealed it (but than again, who didn't XD). After using it, I can safely say it is one of the best smartphones out there.

iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Nexus 5 (32GB, White)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
OnePlus One (64GB)
LG G Watch (Black)

RCJ89
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
I scoffed at the S5 when Samsung revealed it (but than again, who didn't XD). After using it, I can safely say it is one of the best smartphones out there.

I definately didn't scoff at the s5 when it was announced, just like i didn't at the s4 last year.

As soon as i saw the S5, it went top of my list ahead of the m8
Current Phones:
Samsung Galaxy S5 Black 16gb

Previous owned Favourite phones:
HTC One X white 32gb
HTC One S Black 16gb
HTC Sensation XE Black
Samsung Galaxy S2 Black 16gb
Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC Silver
The Following User Says Thank You to RCJ89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SolarTrans
Old
Thanks Meter 231
Default "The Galaxy S5 Has The Best Smartphone Display Ever!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJ89 View Post
I definately didn't scoff at the s5 when it was announced, just like i didn't at the s4 last year.

As soon as i saw the S5, it went top of my list ahead of the m8

Initially, I felt the S5 improved on so little (I didn't care about a better camera, IP67, 0.1in bigger screen, and overall thought it would be super similar) that it wasn't worthwhile to upgrade from the S4 (S4 from S3 was actually big for me because of the 1080p jump). It wasn't until seeing the OS in action that I saw the true benefits.
I don't normally dismiss devices as a primary reaction, but I am definitely guilty of doing to with the S5. I was pretty wrong, that's for sure :P
I'd also like to mention the overwhelmingly meager press response it received. That didn't help it's appeal either. It wasn't until it got on display and into people's hands that it truly got noticed.

iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Nexus 5 (32GB, White)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
OnePlus One (64GB)
LG G Watch (Black)