Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,628 Members 38,795 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Security Concern

Tip us?
 
shadowblazer08
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Security Concern

So I know having a removable battery has its own perks but one of it really concerns me. Compared to a unibody with a fixed battery, you can easily shut down a Note 3 just by removing the battery. So what if my Note 3 got stolen by someone with a broad knowledge about Android, he/she can easily just remove the battery, boot into recovery mode and do a factory reset from there rendering the pin/password/pattern and Android Device Manager useless and be gone forever (the thief can easily sell it/get rid of it) compared to unibody smartphones. Is there a workaround for this?
 
exprxp
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 76
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowblazer08 View Post
So I know having a removable battery has its own perks but one of it really concerns me. Compared to a unibody with a fixed battery, you can easily shut down a Note 3 just by removing the battery. So what if my Note 3 got stolen by someone with a broad knowledge about Android, he/she can easily just remove the battery, boot into recovery mode and do a factory reset from there rendering the pin/password/pattern and Android Device Manager useless and be gone forever (the thief can easily sell it/get rid of it) compared to unibody smartphones. Is there a workaround for this?
What about Reactivation Lock and KNOX?
 
senectus
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 807
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowblazer08 View Post
So I know having a removable battery has its own perks but one of it really concerns me. Compared to a unibody with a fixed battery, you can easily shut down a Note 3 just by removing the battery. So what if my Note 3 got stolen by someone with a broad knowledge about Android, he/she can easily just remove the battery, boot into recovery mode and do a factory reset from there rendering the pin/password/pattern and Android Device Manager useless and be gone forever (the thief can easily sell it/get rid of it) compared to unibody smartphones. Is there a workaround for this?
Unibody does not protect against Factory Reset, I've never seen a unibody not have some powerbutton+otherbutton combo that wont let the user do exactly what you fear.

Sorry mate, but the one enduring law of digital security is: If you have physical access to the protected device, consider it compromised.
 
alom5
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 176
Posts: 715
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reactivation lock asks for pin even if you done factory reset or flash new firmware

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
shadowblazer08
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by senectus View Post
Unibody does not protect against Factory Reset, I've never seen a unibody not have some powerbutton+otherbutton combo that wont let the user do exactly what you fear.

Sorry mate, but the one enduring law of digital security is: If you have physical access to the protected device, consider it compromised.
Yeah I understand what you mean but, as for my other phone which is a HTC One 2013, as long as it has charge and pin/pattern/password set-up, no one could turn it off hence could not access recovery mode giving me enough time to locate and track it. Same as on my iPhone 5s with Find My iPhone app.
 
alom5
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 176
Posts: 715
Join Date: Dec 2010
These features are available on the note 3 add well. Go settings - genetal - security and it's all there

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
iwanme
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
as for my other phone which is a HTC One 2013, as long as it has charge and pin/pattern/password set-up, no one could turn it off
Every unibody phone has a reset combination. For HTC One AFAIK its holding POWER button for 10 sec. and additionally VOL DOWN and POWER combination for factory reset confirmed with additional VOL DOWN click.
The Following User Says Thank You to iwanme For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
shadowblazer08
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanme View Post
Every unibody phone has a reset combination. For HTC One AFAIK its holding POWER button for 10 sec. and additionally VOL DOWN and POWER combination for factory reset confirmed with additional VOL DOWN click.
But it has to be OFF before you can do a hard reset through hardware buttons.
 
ultramag69
Old
#9  
ultramag69's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 577
Posts: 4,459
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waratah
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowblazer08 View Post
But it has to be OFF before you can do a hard reset through hardware buttons.
Which was just explained to you how to shut it off... NO phone is secure... All phones turn off if you hold the power button long enough whether they have password protection or not...
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ultramag69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
begimaad
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 145
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reactivation lock all the way

Sent from my SM-N900 using xda app-developers app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes