[Q] Wi-fi not working on SGH-i337 S4 (ATT) after "unlock"

25th February 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Having an issue with my father-in-law's SGH-I337 S4 (ATT). A few months ago my father-in-law had this S4 "unlocked" in Vietnam to use a local SIM and wifi/data hasn't worked since (calling works and I believe texts were ok too). New to Android but I gather they replaced the baseband or something (baseband was MJ9 while build was MJ6). Wifi toggle would not move at all, and data did not work. Also got a error message after trying to toggle the wifi.

I reflashed using the MK2 TAR (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2621279). That seemed to get data working and fixed the error but wifi doesn't really work. After first boot/setup, when it asks for wifi network/password, wifi seems to work and shows available wifi networks like expected. I select my network and enter password, then it just hangs for a bit then goes back to the wifi enable screen, with the on/off toggle not green and the area below just says "turning on". Rebooting doesn't change anything. Can't turn on after that. After a hard reset, I am able to do the setup again, but same thing... works to enter password but then never again.

Seems like the options to try are to reflash a kernel or try a 4.3 ROM, but I don't want to take a few steps back after the reflash got the data working again (at least it can be used as a phone again). Also, my main goal is obviously just getting it working like normal, but I also don't want to lose any future flashing because I was rash and did something I shouldn't have.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

S4 SGH-I337 (AT&T) on mk2
The Following User Says Thank You to morkman18 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morkman18

Having an issue with my father-in-law's SGH-I337 S4 (ATT). A few months ago my father-in-law had this S4 "unlocked" in Vietnam to use a local SIM and wifi/data hasn't worked since (calling works and I believe texts were ok too). New to Android but I gather they replaced the baseband or something (baseband was MJ9 while build was MJ6). Wifi toggle would not move at all, and data did not work. Also got a error message after trying to toggle the wifi.

I reflashed using the MK2 TAR (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2621279). That seemed to get data working and fixed the error but wifi doesn't really work. After first boot/setup, when it asks for wifi network/password, wifi seems to work and shows available wifi networks like expected. I select my network and enter password, then it just hangs for a bit then goes back to the wifi enable screen, with the on/off toggle not green and the area below just says "turning on". Rebooting doesn't change anything. Can't turn on after that. After a hard reset, I am able to do the setup again, but same thing... works to enter password but then never again.

Seems like the options to try are to reflash a kernel or try a 4.3 ROM, but I don't want to take a few steps back after the reflash got the data working again (at least it can be used as a phone again). Also, my main goal is obviously just getting it working like normal, but I also don't want to lose any future flashing because I was rash and did something I shouldn't have.

Bro I have same problem ,did u solve your problem ? plz replay.thanks.
24th July 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #3  

3 posts
Wifi issues
[QUOTE=Mustafa_180;53438021]Bro I have same problem ,did u solve your problem ? plz replay.thanks.

[After updating my SGH I337 my wifi wont turn on .
24th July 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #4  
Flag Saint Louis missouri
Thanks Meter: 99

447 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Are you rooted ??? Almost every person that cant turn on wifi forgot to flash the kernel modules after install .. If you read the thread that you linked it says after flashing MK2 you will have a semi functioning phone ...aka NO WIFI... If you are not rooted you wont be able to proceed .. If you are rooted let me know and I can help you very easily with the fix

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

[QUOTE=whodinij;54378466]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa_180

Bro I have same problem ,did u solve your problem ? plz replay.thanks.

[After updating my SGH I337 my wifi wont turn on .

Are you rooted ??? Almost every person that cant turn on wifi forgot to flash the kernel modules after install .. If you read the thread that you linked it says after flashing MK2 you will have a semi functioning phone ...aka NO WIFI... If you are not rooted you wont be able to proceed .. If you are rooted let me know and I can help you very easily with the fix
9th August 2014, 05:54 AM   |  #5  

15 posts
More
check out my post, i found out how to fix that problem, it was the exact as yours.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...amage-t2841529

If you have any questions you can PM me.
12th August 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #6  

12 posts
wifi issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starnel

check out my post, i found out how to fix that problem, it was the exact as yours.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...amage-t2841529

If you have any questions you can PM me.

Can you please be more specific with the solution????
22nd August 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #7  

9 posts
Code:
hello can you post it TIA
16th September 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #8  

2 posts
[QUOTE=spirodave;54379071]Are you rooted ??? Almost every person that cant turn on wifi forgot to flash the kernel modules after install .. If you read the thread that you linked it says after flashing MK2 you will have a semi functioning phone ...aka NO WIFI... If you are not rooted you wont be able to proceed .. If you are rooted let me know and I can help you very easily with the fix

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodinij

Was this issue fixed? I am having the same problem. I have the SGH-I337 and the wifi won't turn on. I just rooted my phone. What do I do next?
16th September 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #9  
Flag Saint Louis missouri
Thanks Meter: 99

447 posts
Donate to Me
More
[QUOTE=Kelvinfe;55488133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirodave

Was this issue fixed? I am having the same problem. I have the SGH-I337 and the wifi won't turn on. I just rooted my phone. What do I do next?

Your update to NB1 and use towel root method . I had the same problem when i owned this phone . Even after flashing the kerenel modules i still had no wifi . It will only be a problem for you if you are wanting to stay on the MK2 firmware . Just install Nb1 and after installing dont reboot system , reboot into download mode and flash the NB1 kernel modules and reboot . It may take up to 5 minutes to boot . I switched to the tmobile galaxy S4 and then S5 now because the locked bootloader is a pain in the a$$ and you cant install custom kernels as of last time i checked .
17th September 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #10  
Flag Santo Domingo
Thanks Meter: 1

32 posts
More
Quote:

Flash one of this mod https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=17227

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread