Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TWRP + CM10.1 + Encryption = invalid password

Tip us?

baddaybeav
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] TWRP + CM10.1 + Encryption = invalid password

Ok, I'm drawing a blank on this...

I have Encryption Enabled in CM10.1 on my GSIII

The problem is that when I reboot to apply an update it fails due to not being able to decrypt the mmc.

TWRP acknowledges that it's encrypted and asks for the password (a PIN that I set up)

but every time I try it tells me it's a bad password.

Am I missing something, some setting somewhere?

The work around is rather annoying, it just involves me copying the zip to the external SD card and installing from there.

Does CMUpdater support storing the zip on the sd natively that'd be a great work around for this as well? I can't find that setting anywhere.

glennexpert
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Have you been able to resolve this? I'm running in a similar issue.
Company policy demands encryption and today, suddenly out of the blue, it reboots and asks for decryption password.
When I enter it, devices says it's invalid... no way to boot into recovery or into flash mode.

Device is a samsung galaxy s3 mini

Thanks,

walleyeuk
Old
(Last edited by walleyeuk; 28th November 2013 at 08:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennexpert View Post
Have you been able to resolve this? I'm running in a similar issue.
Company policy demands encryption and today, suddenly out of the blue, it reboots and asks for decryption password.
When I enter it, devices says it's invalid... no way to boot into recovery or into flash mode.

Device is a samsung galaxy s3 mini

Thanks,
This is really strange, I'm getting this too. I also have to have my device encrypted for my work's MS Exchange access

I'm using latest TWRP 2.6.3.3 and have had no issues with my encryption password not being recognised with this version of TWRP before.

Device details - I'm using an international (GSM) HTC One. Recently I have upgraded to Android 4.3/Sense 5.5 via Telstra OTA update. The ROM is entirely stock from Telstra, just unlocked/rooted. Super user is via SuperSU v1.80

glennexpert
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyeuk View Post
This is really strange, I'm getting this too. I also have to have my device encrypted for my work's MS Exchange access

I'm using latest TWRP 2.6.3.3 and have had no issues with my encryption password not being recognised with this version of TWRP before.

Device details - I'm using an international (GSM) HTC One. Recently I have upgraded to Android 4.3/Sense 5.5 via Telstra OTA update. The ROM is entirely stock from Telstra, just unlocked/rooted. Super user is via SuperSU v1.80
Hi, I haven't had an HTC since the first "desire" and before that I had an HD2 for over 5 years...
So, if you are able to access TWRP you can get around this by fully formatting all your encrypted partitions and installing your custom rom again.

If that doesn't work you can try to restore the device with proper HTC tools, like Kies for Samsung devices. It fully resets the device back to stock recovery and stock rom.

I've found no way to restore any of my data. Luckily I had a cloud back-up with Titanium Back-up pro.
Tags
twrp cm10.1 encryption