Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 51,707 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting an old original Xoom

Tip us?
 
Gamul1
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default [Q] Rooting an old original Xoom

Hi All

I have a 1st edition Xoom, WiFi, that I bought in March of 2011. I never rooted it before but am considering doing it now if it is still feasible. It looks like my current Android version is 4.1.2.

One thing - due to my work email, they made me encrypt the tablet. I hated it the moment I did it because it slowed it down quite a bit. But its done and there does not seem to be an option to un do it, unless rooting it will. I am ok with that as I do not need that email on this device. But is rooting an option with an encrypted tablet? Is it the same process? Does it change anything?

So - my questions are:
  1. Is it still feasible to root this tablet?
  2. Is this page this the latest/greatest Root for the Xoom?
    [**]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1010568
  3. What version of Android would I have once done?
  4. Any other factors I need ot consider?

I rooted my phone a few years ago and it was straight forward. But I do not want to end up with a 10.1 inch brick.

Thanks.
 
superbay
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 207
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wonosari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamul1 View Post
Hi All

I have a 1st edition Xoom, WiFi, that I bought in March of 2011. I never rooted it before but am considering doing it now if it is still feasible. It looks like my current Android version is 4.1.2.

One thing - due to my work email, they made me encrypt the tablet. I hated it the moment I did it because it slowed it down quite a bit. But its done and there does not seem to be an option to un do it, unless rooting it will. I am ok with that as I do not need that email on this device. But is rooting an option with an encrypted tablet? Is it the same process? Does it change anything?

So - my questions are:
  1. Is it still feasible to root this tablet?
  2. Is this page this the latest/greatest Root for the Xoom?
    [**]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1010568
  3. What version of Android would I have once done?
  4. Any other factors I need ot consider?

I rooted my phone a few years ago and it was straight forward. But I do not want to end up with a 10.1 inch brick.

Thanks.
How did you encrypt the tablet anyway?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
HTC Dream - would love to have it once again
HTC Desire - kinda miss the optical scroll
Motorola Droid X - loads of fun with it
Apple iPad the 1st - the first and the last
Motorola Razr - the kevlar saved my life once lol
Nokia X2-00 - been drunk and got someone replacing the Razr with it lol 2.0
Motorola Xoom - will keep it forever
HTC One X+ - a wrong choice i won't regret
 
Gamul1
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbay View Post
How did you encrypt the tablet anyway?
Its been a few years so its fuzzy. I think it was in the settings under security. But at the time I followed some directions. It took over night to do. Now when I go to settings I see the encryption option but it does nothing.

Un. Encryption is not the reason I want to root. The device is slow and I hear I may be able to speed it up a bit. Plus, there is a game that crashed the tablet because of the tegra 2 chip and k read some steps on making a change that prevents the crash.
 
superbay
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 207
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wonosari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamul1 View Post
Its been a few years so its fuzzy. I think it was in the settings under security. But at the time I followed some directions. It took over night to do. Now when I go to settings I see the encryption option but it does nothing.

Un. Encryption is not the reason I want to root. The device is slow and I hear I may be able to speed it up a bit. Plus, there is a game that crashed the tablet because of the tegra 2 chip and k read some steps on making a change that prevents the crash.
Then dont hesitate and go for it
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
HTC Dream - would love to have it once again
HTC Desire - kinda miss the optical scroll
Motorola Droid X - loads of fun with it
Apple iPad the 1st - the first and the last
Motorola Razr - the kevlar saved my life once lol
Nokia X2-00 - been drunk and got someone replacing the Razr with it lol 2.0
Motorola Xoom - will keep it forever
HTC One X+ - a wrong choice i won't regret
 
matt4321
Old
#5  
matt4321's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1109
Posts: 1,484
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oxford/Leicester, UK

 
DONATE TO ME
May I add that rooting will need an unlocked bootloader which will wipe /data so you'd loose everything

Nexus 7 (2013) | Nexus 5 | Motorola Xoom
Follow Me On Twitter
 
Gamul1
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4321 View Post
May I add that rooting will need an unlocked bootloader which will wipe /data so you'd loose everything
I am ok with that. I was just trying to figure out if this older tablet that was encrypted can be rooted. And, if the thread I referenced was the latest still. It is a couple years old so I was not sure that meant the android OS was old or updated or if there was a newer thread somewhere I can't find.
 
matt4321
Old
#7  
matt4321's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1109
Posts: 1,484
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oxford/Leicester, UK

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamul1 View Post
I am ok with that. I was just trying to figure out if this older tablet that was encrypted can be rooted. And, if the thread I referenced was the latest still. It is a couple years old so I was not sure that meant the android OS was old or updated or if there was a newer thread somewhere I can't find.
what android version are you on? this will help me tell you through how to root

Nexus 7 (2013) | Nexus 5 | Motorola Xoom
Follow Me On Twitter
 
Gamul1
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4321 View Post
what android version are you on? this will help me tell you through how to root
According to my settings page, my Android version is 4.1.2.
 
matt4321
Old
#9  
matt4321's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1109
Posts: 1,484
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oxford/Leicester, UK

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamul1 View Post
According to my settings page, my Android version is 4.1.2.
Are you familiar with fastboot/adb?

you need to unlock your bootloader using

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
then you need to flash a custom recovery, I suggest this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1782235

use the command:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
then

Code:
fastboot reboot
upon rebooting when you see the motorola logo, wait about 2 seconds, then you need to press the volume down button, then volume up to select android recovery.

Once in recovery you will need to flash this file to gain root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=408





After all this you will have Android 4.1.2 with a custom recovery and root access, from now on it will be easy to swap between ROMs, android versions etc.

Always make a backup

Nexus 7 (2013) | Nexus 5 | Motorola Xoom
Follow Me On Twitter
 
Gamul1
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4321 View Post
snipped a bunch of great info...
Thanks! I will give this a try. A few other questions around this:

1. Will the device still be encrypted once this is done?
2. If not - do you know if it is possible to fool the mail program into thinking it is still encrypted?

Thanks!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes