Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,277 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocking Bootloader

Tip us?

Smoller
Old
(Last edited by Smoller; 30th March 2014 at 07:15 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Unlocking Bootloader

I just Rooted my Z1 Compact by this method http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2642081 and now I have 4.3 firmware UK. Now I have some questions:

1. When I check on phone if unlocking bootloader is possible, it says no. I haven't read that article about unlocking fully, but is there still any way to unlock it? Because, once Stable official CM comes out, I could install it.

2. When I check for software update, it says already latest, and doesn't provide KitKat(Don't forget I'm on UK rooted 4.3). Why? Also do I loose root if I update by official software?

3. As I said, once CM, stable comes out I will install it. But until then, I'm gonna stay on official firmware + root. What is simplest way to update to latest firmwares but still having root(or if really required, first updating, then rooting that latest firmware)?

I tried to be as straight as possible with my questions, and it would really mean a lot to me, any useful answers because I don't have much time for reading all those posts. Note that before this phone I had already Samsung galaxy mini with many roms, but for this phone it's much more complicated, so that's why I'm asking this all. Thanks.

XperienceD
Old
Thanks Meter 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoller View Post
I just Rooted my Z1 Compact by this method http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2642081 and now I have 4.3 firmware UK. Now I have some questions:

1. When I check on phone if unlocking bootloader is possible, it says no. I haven't read that article about unlocking fully, but is there still any way to unlock it? Because, once Stable official CM comes out, I could install it.

2. When I check for software update, it says already latest, and doesn't provide KitKat(Don't forget I'm on UK rooted 4.3). Why? Also do I loose root if I update by official software?

3. As I said, once CM, stable comes out I will install it. But until then, I'm gonna stay on official firmware + root. What is simplest way to update to latest firmwares but still having root(or if really required, first updating, then rooting that latest firmware)?

I tried to be as straight as possible with my questions, and it would really mean a lot to me, any useful answers because I don't have much time for reading all those posts. Note that before this phone I had already Samsung galaxy mini with many roms, but for this phone it's much more complicated, so that's why I'm asking this all. Thanks.
1. If you got your Phone from a provider then you're probably out of luck.

2. Should have used this instead if you want KK - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2688933

3. Read the forums with each new release, unless you unlock the BL you'll have to wait for a method like above.

Smoller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperienceD View Post
1. If you got your Phone from a provider then you're probably out of luck.

2. Should have used this instead if you want KK - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2688933

3. Read the forums with each new release, unless you unlock the BL you'll have to wait for a method like above.
Well, yeah it's from T-mobile, so there is no way to unlock bootloader? Thanks for link, but is there any way to update just using phone? I have problems with PC, whenever PC detects flash drive inserted(my phone in flash mode) it freezes at the end of installation, so I have to flash on another PC, which is frustrating as I can do that like every 2 weeks(I have only 1 PC)

XperienceD
Old
Thanks Meter 2,392
Quote:
Well, yeah it's from T-mobile, so there is no way to unlock bootloader?
Unfortunately, no. I had my Z for about year living in hope but Sony have locked it down too much for the devs to crack, so I'll never get another Phone from a carrier again.
Quote:
Thanks for link, but is there any way to update just using phone?
Modding the Phone breaks the OTA update service which is why, once you decide to start modding you're better off just flashing an .ftf to update.

RevokOne
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Well, yeah it's from T-mobile, so there is no way to unlock bootloader? Thanks for link, but is there any way to update just using phone? I have problems with PC, whenever PC detects flash drive inserted(my phone in flash mode) it freezes at the end of installation, so I have to flash on another PC, which is frustrating as I can do that like every 2 weeks(I have only 1 PC)
Z1 compact from tmobile? or z1s? or you have a z1 compact on tmobiles network? If it says bootloader unlocked allowed: no, you cant unlock it and will not be able to install cm. Where did you get the phone from?

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1,670

DONATE TO ME
Correct me if I'm wrong but.... Xperia Z1 Compact is still not available in US much more on carriers like T-Mobile.

zxz0O0
Old
Thanks Meter 1,223

DONATE TO ME
If I guess correctly, 'bootloader unlocked allowed: No' should be stored in the TA partition. Maybe it's not so hard to find, if you compare two TA backups (one disallowed and one allowed). Is there any research done already about that?
@Smoller do you have a backup of your TA partition (DRM keys)?

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1,670

DONATE TO ME
@zxz0O0

It's impossible by just comparing. I'm not sure if you still remember my reply on your bootloader unlocking thread but I posted there a comparison between 2 the same TA backup just between 2 reboots and the result was that they are very2 different from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxz0O0 View Post
If I guess correctly, 'bootloader unlocked allowed: No' should be stored in the TA partition. Maybe it's not so hard to find, if you compare two TA backups (one disallowed and one allowed). Is there any research done already about that?
@Smoller do you have a backup of your TA partition (DRM keys)?

zxz0O0
Old
Thanks Meter 1,223

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post
@zxz0O0

It's impossible by just comparing. I'm not sure if you still remember my reply on your bootloader unlocking thread but I posted there a comparison between 2 the same TA backup just between 2 reboots and the result was that they are very2 different from each other.
What? You made a TA backup on your phone and after 2 reboots it was completetly different? No I've never seen a post like that, that sounds really weird.
I would really be interested to see this myself.

Smoller
Old
(Last edited by Smoller; 31st March 2014 at 03:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes it says exactly bootloader unlock allowed: No. And I'm from Croatia so most likely it is also available in other Europe countries, especially UK...From T-Mobile...really weird it's not still on US Tmobile because this phone is made in January. And I can make a DRM backup if needed, if there might be any way to unlock bootloader. Also, just to be sure, if I input unlock SIM code for other carriers, it has still everything same except possibility to put SIM cards and use other carriers, right?

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app