Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 40,359 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Restoring SMS/MMS from another phone

Tip us?
 
ShadowSKAR
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default [Q] Restoring SMS/MMS from another phone

I recently switched phones and would like to transfer all my SMS/MMS from my old phone. I've tried some apps from the Play Store but they seem to have difficulty with MMS. So then I tried to copy the mmssms.db and app_parts folder from /data/data/com.android.provider.telephony to the new phone but that didn't seem to work at all because no messages showed up.

What other options do I have?
 
cr1960
Old
#2  
cr1960's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 304
Posts: 1,411
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSKAR View Post
I recently switched phones and would like to transfer all my SMS/MMS from my old phone. I've tried some apps from the Play Store but they seem to have difficulty with MMS. So then I tried to copy the mmssms.db and app_parts folder from /data/data/com.android.provider.telephony to the new phone but that didn't seem to work at all because no messages showed up.

What other options do I have?
what is your old phone? (Make/model)?

HTC M8
ROM: ViperOneM8
Kernel: Hacker Beta 10
 
ayo234
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 372
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSKAR View Post
I recently switched phones and would like to transfer all my SMS/MMS from my old phone. I've tried some apps from the Play Store but they seem to have difficulty with MMS. So then I tried to copy the mmssms.db and app_parts folder from /data/data/com.android.provider.telephony to the new phone but that didn't seem to work at all because no messages showed up.

What other options do I have?
On the playstore there is an application called HTC Transfer Tool. Download that on your old phone. You have the same app on your HTC One either in the app drawer or in the settings app. But if you dont, download the same app on your htc one. Follow the instructions on screen and you should be fine.
[insert really cool inspiring quote here] If I helped you thank me
 
ShadowSKAR
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1960 View Post
what is your old phone? (Make/model)?
Old phone is a Samsung Galaxy SII (Hercules) running CM 10.2.
 
ShadowSKAR
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayo234 View Post
On the playstore there is an application called HTC Transfer Tool. Download that on your old phone. You have the same app on your HTC One either in the app drawer or in the settings app. But if you dont, download the same app on your htc one. Follow the instructions on screen and you should be fine.
I just tried that but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. It says backing up on my old phone, and when that finishes, nothing actually gets transferred. On the HTC, it says received 0/0.
 
RUUMan
Old
#6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 71
Join Date: Mar 2014
u can use a an app called superbackup from the play store . it works well
 
ShadowSKAR
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUUMan View Post
u can use a an app called superbackup from the play store . it works well
Doesn't work either because it's not backing up all the messages.
 
cr1960
Old
#8  
cr1960's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 304
Posts: 1,411
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSKAR View Post
Old phone is a Samsung Galaxy SII (Hercules) running CM 10.2.
what if you take a backup using the backup/restore option in messaging then copy it across to your new phone and try to restore?

HTC M8
ROM: ViperOneM8
Kernel: Hacker Beta 10
 
FauxAffliction
Old
#9  
FauxAffliction's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,304
Posts: 814
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Topeka, Kansas

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSKAR View Post
Doesn't work either because it's not backing up all the messages.
Download sms backup and restore and I believe there's an option to either email it to yourself or upload it to Google drive then download the same program on your HTC and restore them..after downloading from your email or drive of course

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://www.slimroms.net
Get AOKPCB Broccoli Port Here
Get SlimBean 4.2.2 for Infuse4g Here
Get SlimBean 4.2.2 for Galaxy S III I9300 Here
Get BeanStalk 4.2.2 for Galaxy S III I9300 Here

If I helped you in any way please give me a "Thanks" so I know I helped
 
ShadowSKAR
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1960 View Post
what if you take a backup using the backup/restore option in messaging then copy it across to your new phone and try to restore?
I don't see a backup/restore option in messaging. Can you elaborate a little further?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes