Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Advice for proving RAZR Maxx is broken?

Tip us?
 
levander
Old
(Last edited by levander; 29th March 2014 at 05:38 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 15
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Advice for proving RAZR Maxx is broken?

I've got insurance for my cell phone through my credit card. If it breaks, they'll send me $250 to buy a new one. And my RAZR Maxx is definitely messed up.

The problem is, the problems are intermittent. And for me to make a successful claim, I have to get a technician to look at the phone and write a letter saying it's broken. I had to go through this process a couple of years ago with a Motorola Atrix that was clearly, obviously broken. And the technicians are always like, "what? what do you mean? what good is a letter like that going to do?" No matter how many times I try to explain to them. It's like they think I'm trying to trap them.

Anyway, is there anything short of throwing the phone off the top of my house that I can do to my phone that makes it easy to show to a technician and have him verify there are issues with it? I'd like not to destroy the phone in case my claim is denied. There are other criteria other than just proving phone is broken. And if the claim is denied, I may need to use the phone for a few more months till I can afford to buy a new one.

The phone is rooted. So I can install whatever software that needs the phone to be rooted. And I have asked in the past, rooting the phone does not cancel my insurance. The case is basically the cell phone insurance department doesn't seem very technologically savvy and don't have a lot of clauses you see when cell phone company's are describing cell phone warranties. Then they have other clauses that you would never see in a cell phone warranty.

If you want to know what's wrong with my phone, like occasionally, nothing it can do will it lock onto the GPS satellites, and I'm stuck somewhere trying to navigate my way to some place.. Occasionally it'll pop up on my screen saying "HDMI cable detected" and orient my screen sideways like if the phone were in a dock. It does this even though there's clearly no HDMI cable connected and I have turned HDMI detection off in the settings. Plus, the phone is just god awful slow a lot of times. Trying to use Chrome on the phone, a lot of times it'll hang and eventually I'll get the message "Chrome is not reponding", then I have options like do you want to wait for it, or go ahead and kill it.
 
Draxin
Old
(Last edited by Draxin; 30th March 2014 at 05:41 PM.)
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 97
Posts: 317
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by levander View Post
I've got insurance for my cell phone through my credit card. If it breaks, they'll send me $250 to buy a new one. And my RAZR Maxx is definitely messed up.

The problem is, the problems are intermittent. And for me to make a successful claim, I have to get a technician to look at the phone and write a letter saying it's broken. I had to go through this process a couple of years ago with a Motorola Atrix that was clearly, obviously broken. And the technicians are always like, "what? what do you mean? what good is a letter like that going to do?" No matter how many times I try to explain to them. It's like they think I'm trying to trap them.

Anyway, is there anything short of throwing the phone off the top of my house that I can do to my phone that makes it easy to show to a technician and have him verify there are issues with it? I'd like not to destroy the phone in case my claim is denied. There are other criteria other than just proving phone is broken. And if the claim is denied, I may need to use the phone for a few more months till I can afford to buy a new one.

The phone is rooted. So I can install whatever software that needs the phone to be rooted. And I have asked in the past, rooting the phone does not cancel my insurance. The case is basically the cell phone insurance department doesn't seem very technologically savvy and don't have a lot of clauses you see when cell phone company's are describing cell phone warranties. Then they have other clauses that you would never see in a cell phone warranty.

If you want to know what's wrong with my phone, like occasionally, nothing it can do will it lock onto the GPS satellites, and I'm stuck somewhere trying to navigate my way to some place.. Occasionally it'll pop up on my screen saying "HDMI cable detected" and orient my screen sideways like if the phone were in a dock. It does this even though there's clearly no HDMI cable connected and I have turned HDMI detection off in the settings. Plus, the phone is just god awful slow a lot of times. Trying to use Chrome on the phone, a lot of times it'll hang and eventually I'll get the message "Chrome is not reponding", then I have options like do you want to wait for it, or go ahead and kill it.
Have you tried returning the phone to bone stock with a stock recovery image and rsd lite? Be fore warned, you will lose root but, you can get it back. Afterwards it will be like a new phone(faster, a lot less buggy and force closes) unless it is truly a hardware issue. I have a motorola xoom that started having serious issues, I went through the whole process, and it was like a completely new tablet when was done, battery life I hadn't seen in over a year, very responsive, it was like I had just unboxed it from the store.
Truthfully the technicians probably DO think you are trying to trap them when you are talking about intermittent problems. Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose with anything unless you can tell them a specific action or pattern of actions that leads up to the problem. I am sure they get a lot of people all the time with "it doesn't work right" claims to try to get money for a new phone.
IMHO it would be worth the shot to see if it legitimately has a goofy problem, or can be easily fixed at home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draxin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
levander
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 15
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxin View Post
Have you tried returning the phone to bone stock with a stock recovery image and rsd lite?
Yeah, thanks Draxin. I've tried restoring to a factory image. And it seems to work okay for a couple of days before small things start back up. A couple of months later, the phone is as flaky as it ever was. It could just be software, that is possible. But it's not like I can go in and fix the software myself or anything. And I think hanging around the internet, looking for tweaks and fixes any more than I already have is really an unreasonable request by the insurance company.

What you say about an easily repeatable pattern, that's what I was hoping to figure out by posting here.

But getting no responses, I think I'm just gonna start my claim and when it gets to the point of proving it's broken, I'm just gonna microwave the phone. Googling all over the Internet that's the only advice people seem to offer.

Basically as it is now, I'm gonna have to pay for a new phone and hope this clumsy phone insurance through my credit card company makes good on my claim. I know I meet the criteria because I've read the policy. It's just the hoops they put you through to prove you meet the criteria that I'm worried about.
 
Draxin
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 97
Posts: 317
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by levander View Post
Yeah, thanks Draxin. I've tried restoring to a factory image. And it seems to work okay for a couple of days before small things start back up.
With a full wipe and stock motorola firmware? Or just a factory reset?

Either way wish you the best of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Draxin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tydiamond11
Old
#5  
tydiamond11's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 196
Posts: 1,109
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arizona

 
DONATE TO ME
Yeah try using rsd to fully restore. I fixed a lot of my problems that way .

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
* If you find this post helpful please click the "Thanks"


Android's I own Samsung G900V, Droid Razr, HTC Incredible,
Androids I help with Droid Bionic, Amazon Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Asus TF300t, Nexus 7,

God Bless Your Android Work
Caleb T. Durant
www.geotrekweb.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tydiamond11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Draxin
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 97
Posts: 317
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydiamond11 View Post
Yeah try using rsd to fully restore. I fixed a lot of my problems that way .

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
Very true. It is funny/sad. Spend some time on a site like this and it seems like everybody knows these things. Talk to your friend or the typical consumer of smartphones and it is foreign to them. They feed into the advertising that the newest and greatest will solve all their problems, not realizing they are falling into the same viscous circle. They will actually disbelieve you, cause... well come on, the phone is two years old! "The guy at my carriers store is surprised my phone still works. Sure he got the job two months ago, won't be there five from now and has no idea what a OTG cable is, or a independently powered usb hub but, still he works there.. so he must know what he is talking about! I am sure it has nothing to do with commission of sales!" (that was facetious, by the way)

I am curious how many people have thought that their smartphone was dying or to old because a factory reset didn't work(not talking about you lavender, I don't know what you have done to fix your device( guess I am semi-hijacking your thread)).

Motorola(or any device manufacturer for that matter) isn't going to tell the typical user that a firmware reflash is required to get a couple more years out of their device when they can sell a user (that won't waste the time to Google)another device. Certainly won't advertise it right next to their latest and greatest device. Really how many people outside of the power users or gamers REQUIRE a quad core processor with 1500-1800 mhz, or 2-3 gb of RAM. When typically, it will end up the same way in a years time, depending on how much they use it.

Porn doesn't require those specs!!!
 
tydiamond11
Old
#7  
tydiamond11's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 196
Posts: 1,109
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arizona

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxin View Post
Very true. It is funny/sad. Spend some time on a site like this and it seems like everybody knows these things. Talk to your friend or the typical consumer of smartphones and it is foreign to them. They feed into the advertising that the newest and greatest will solve all their problems, not realizing they are falling into the same viscous circle. They will actually disbelieve you, cause... well come on, the phone is two years old! "The guy at my carriers store is surprised my phone still works. Sure he got the job two months ago, won't be there five from now and has no idea what a OTG cable is, or a independently powered usb hub but, still he works there.. so he must know what he is talking about! I am sure it has nothing to do with commission of sales!" (that was facetious, by the way)

I am curious how many people have thought that their smartphone was dying or to old because a factory reset didn't work(not talking about you lavender, I don't know what you have done to fix your device( guess I am semi-hijacking your thread)).

Motorola(or any device manufacturer for that matter) isn't going to tell the typical user that a firmware reflash is required to get a couple more years out of their device when they can sell a user (that won't waste the time to Google)another device. Certainly won't advertise it right next to their latest and greatest device. Really how many people outside of the power users or gamers REQUIRE a quad core processor with 1500-1800 mhz, or 2-3 gb of RAM. When typically, it will end up the same way in a years time, depending on how much they use it.

Porn doesn't require those specs!!!
You are right. Just the last part is not really relevant to this form by the way.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
* If you find this post helpful please click the "Thanks"


Android's I own Samsung G900V, Droid Razr, HTC Incredible,
Androids I help with Droid Bionic, Amazon Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Asus TF300t, Nexus 7,

God Bless Your Android Work
Caleb T. Durant
www.geotrekweb.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes