Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 49,884 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trouble getting KitKat

Tip us?
 
diggott
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 27
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole
Question Trouble getting KitKat

Hi,
I've just got a Note 3 so not sure of all the ins and outs. I've been reading the forum and worked out it's status is Custom.
I don't think it's rooted, I certainly haven't done it.
Basically I want the Kit Kat update but it tells me I can't update OTA as it's modified and through Kies it says it's up to date which isn't true. I'm on 4.3.

Anyway If I can do the update with Odin I'd be happy but could you help me:
Firstly what version of Odin should I use. I can see a 3.07. It seems old but is that OK ?
Secondly I can't work out what firmware I need to download for it. I have done *#1234# and this is what it tells me the following:

AP: N9005XXUBMJ3
CP: N9005XXUBMJ1
CSC:N9005DBTBMJ3

Any ideas what it is and which I'd need to download for it ? When I got it the phone was set to German by default but I'm not sure if that means it is German or not.

I'd like to use a UK firmware if I can but would that screw the phone up in some way. I've read about KNOX.... not really sure what that's about but it doesn't sound too good if I break it.

Basically any help on what to download and I guess how to use Odin to put it on there would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Daniel
 
antique_sonic
Old
#2  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Posts: 2,099
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggott View Post
Hi,
I've just got a Note 3 so not sure of all the ins and outs. I've been reading the forum and worked out it's status is Custom.
I don't think it's rooted, I certainly haven't done it.
Basically I want the Kit Kat update but it tells me I can't update OTA as it's modified and through Kies it says it's up to date which isn't true. I'm on 4.3.

Anyway If I can do the update with Odin I'd be happy but could you help me:
Firstly what version of Odin should I use. I can see a 3.07. It seems old but is that OK ?
Secondly I can't work out what firmware I need to download for it. I have done *#1234# and this is what it tells me the following:

AP: N9005XXUBMJ3
CP: N9005XXUBMJ1
CSC:N9005DBTBMJ3

Any ideas what it is and which I'd need to download for it ? When I got it the phone was set to German by default but I'm not sure if that means it is German or not.

I'd like to use a UK firmware if I can but would that screw the phone up in some way. I've read about KNOX.... not really sure what that's about but it doesn't sound too good if I break it.

Basically any help on what to download and I guess how to use Odin to put it on there would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Daniel
any ODIN will do. I used 3.0.9, and flashed well.
You can download any firmware. don't worry. If you wish to use German firmware, there's NB7 - DBT, but this firmware need a pit file to be flashed together with it.
If you want UK, there's also UK version
The latest one, which most of the dev use as a base for custom ROM is NC2 czech. I personally have flashed this stock firmware into some of my friend's Note 3, and run into no trouble with ODIN 3.0.9.

You should try to go into download mode, and see what is written down there. As you said your system status is modified/custom, I believe if you go into download mode, you will find KNOX = 0x1.
I found this state as well on my friend's new N9005 stock 4.3 unrooted. My friend bought an export set for Europe countries (and it happened to be German firmware as well, same as yours)

cheers.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
diggott
Old
(Last edited by diggott; 31st March 2014 at 01:22 PM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 27
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know it shouldn't hurt whichever I decide to go with.
In terms of where I should get the ROM from. Is http://samsung-updates.com/ the best place to get it ?

Here http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SM-N9005 I see there are some NC2 ones but no Czech one. Would the top one the Philipines one work ?

Also I can't get into Download Mode. It just comes up with android system recovery (3e). Is that a problem ?

Sorry I really haven't a clue with all this.

Thanks
 
antique_sonic
Old
#4  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Posts: 2,099
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggott View Post
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know it shouldn't hurt whichever I decide to go with.
In terms of where I should get the ROM from. Is http://samsung-updates.com/ the best place to get it ?

Here http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SM-N9005 I see there are some NC2 ones but no Czech one. Would the top one the Philipines one work ?

Also I can't get into Download Mode. It just comes up with android system recovery (3e). Is that a problem ?

Sorry I really haven't a clue with all this.

Thanks
go to here : www.samfirmware.com
login there / sign up if you have no account.
just type ur device on the textbox firmware. you will find the firmware that you want
philipines one should also work. try to find those without the provider carrier (less bloatware)

to go into download mode : power down your device. after that you can power up by using ==> vol down + home + power, once you go in then press vol up to continue.
to go into recovery mode (the one u mentioned above) : power down your device. after that power up using ==> vol up + home + power.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
diggott
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 27
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole
Right just realised what I was doing wrong and got into the Download Mode. It says KNOX Warranty Void 0x1
Does that matter ? I don't need to use the private file storage thing really to be honest.
Can I still flash a ROM OK ?
And again is that one on samsung-updates.com OK ?

Thank you!
 
antique_sonic
Old
#6  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Posts: 2,099
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggott View Post
Right just realised what I was doing wrong and got into the Download Mode. It says KNOX Warranty Void 0x1
Does that matter ? I don't need to use the private file storage thing really to be honest.
Can I still flash a ROM OK ?
And again is that one on samsung-updates.com OK ?

Thank you!
to be honest, KNOX flag trip will only affect if you have use the KNOX container earlier before it trip.
But if you never use, it should be fine. It will only a matter of warranty which is the main issue. But since you said you have never done anything to your phone, I believe you have bought it from 3rd party (non samsung store) which claim to be an export set (which come without samsung warranty). This thing happen to 1 of my friend actually which I mentioned on my above posting.

But don't worry, means now you don't need to worry about KNOX trip anymore (unless you want to bring up the issue to whom you bought the phone from, and actually it will be useless as well, as no prove the knox is tripped by the seller).

You can just download any firmware. Go to the site I mentioned earlier (to get the newest) : www.samfirmware.com
get it from there.
OR
you can visit this thread, and get it from the mirror link there : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2643109
the NC2 is listed at the 1st post on the top part (easy for you to find). My opinion better go to this thread. This thread using mega storage, faster download compare to the at at samfirmware

cheers!
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
diggott
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 27
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic View Post
to be honest, KNOX flag trip will only affect if you have use the KNOX container earlier before it trip.
But if you never use, it should be fine. It will only a matter of warranty which is the main issue. But since you said you have never done anything to your phone, I believe you have bought it from 3rd party (non samsung store) which claim to be an export set (which come without samsung warranty). This thing happen to 1 of my friend actually which I mentioned on my above posting.

But don't worry, means now you don't need to worry about KNOX trip anymore (unless you want to bring up the issue to whom you bought the phone from, and actually it will be useless as well, as no prove the knox is tripped by the seller).

You can just download any firmware. Go to the site I mentioned earlier (to get the newest) : www.samfirmware.com
get it from there.
OR
you can visit this thread, and get it from the mirror link there : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2643109
the NC2 is listed at the 1st post on the top part (easy for you to find). My opinion better go to this thread. This thread using mega storage, faster download compare to the at at samfirmware

cheers!

Brilliant! Thank you for all your help I have now flashed it with Odin to 4.4.2. I went for the UK one in the end which might not be the very latest version but I'm happy

Thanks again that's made my day. You're right I don't care about KNOX and couldn't prove anything anyway so I shall carry on and enjoy my nice new KitKat Note 3

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to diggott For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes