[Workshop] Unbrick fully bricked I9070

OP flentus

31st March 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 21

24 posts
Hi,

I'm launching this thread to work on an unbrick procedure for fully bricked I9070/P without JTAG or Riffbox (same as Adam Outler, TheBeano, Odia etc... 's project "let's save some bricks")
Reminder : fully bricked = no download/recovery mode, no display, not charging, not going to recovery with a 301k Ohm jig.

I have a fully bricked I9070P and a fully functionnal I8090 (same processor).

Based on the sources and tools for the U8500 that were disclosed in january, I've managed to make my dead phone and my PC talk "a bit" together (under Windows with the VSIW tool, and under linux with recompiling the "flashkit" tools): when plugged in and inserting the battery, the tool sees the terminal, gets its serial number and various data and fails while trying to send and execute a boot file because the terminal closes the USB port.

I've managed to get a certain degree of communication with the "riff" tool (open source) of the Snowball project too (the dev board based on a U9500).

Based on this half successes, I'm pretty sure we are close to a clean solution to revive a fully bricked terminal without soldering JTAG.

Here are the main docs I've read so far :
* most posts from the threads "let's save some bricks" and "fun with resistors"
* the reference documents of the I9070 (Samsung_GT-I9070_Galaxy_S_Advance_Galaxy_S_II_Lite_service_ma nual.rar)
* the reference manual of the U9500 (http://www.calao-systems.com/reposit...anual_rev1.pdf)
* TSU6111 datasheet from TI (the USB/UART switch the 9070 is using, cf the service manual -> Lite Schematics -> u-USB SW IC part)
* lots of docs from the "flashkit" sources

My setup :
* a fully bricked I9070P
* a fully working I8190P
* an 8GB SDCard
* a Windows/Linux workstation (Ubuntu 12.04LTS + Android compiling environment + disclosed sources)
* terminal emulators
* a Prolific cable (PL2303) (any USB to TTL adapter would do it, you can buy one for 3$ as Arduino accessory, or reuse a Nokia DKU 5 -see hackaday website for a link). Take care with Prolifics : they don't work under Windows 8 with the last driver, you have to use the version before, Google is your friend)
* a set of resistors
* a multimeter
* libusb win32 drivers setup, see sourceforge (use the tool included in the drivers package to generate the right .inf file for the U8500 (or use 04CC and 8500)

Here are my conclusions so far :
* based on the Snowball docs and the U9500 spec, we don't seem to have any need to modify anything (resistors) on the mainboard to change boot sequence. The dev board does not have any switch for that and my dead I9070 and working I8190 exibit the same behaviour at bootup : the appear as a "U8500 USB ROM" for a seconds and disconnect when going on farther in the boot sequence.
Moreover, the fact that I managed to have my dead phone talk with the flashtool confort me in the fact that we are almost done.

* I have *not* managed to get any output on my terminal with my Prolific cable plugged in with a 630kOhm resistor on the pins 4 and 5. My resistor setup might be good because it make my working I8190 boot when I plug it in.
But I'm not sure of my RX/TX setup, I have crossed the RX/TX of the phone and the ones of the Prolific but I might have been wrong identifying the pins of my modified USB plug (D+ and D-).
But I'm sure the RX and TX wires of my Prolific are the right ones : when I connect them together (nullmodem configuration), the characters typed on my terminal are displayed.

So the main issue is : how can we have the dead phone keep the USB port open and not close it after 2 seconds?
My assumption is that it is always probing different boot methods (UART, USB, MMC etc) and then attempts to boot normaly from eMMC.

I don't know which part of the bootchain sequence I've garbaged on my I9070: IBL, PBL, SBL, PARAM? Managing to get any debug output on my console would greatly help me.

Has any of you tried to achieve something similar? If yes, could you post your setup and results?

Let's save some bricks another time!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flentus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2014, 03:26 AM   |  #2  
Flag hitech city
Thanks Meter: 4

108 posts
More
any progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by flentus

Hi,

I'm launching this thread to work on an unbrick procedure for fully bricked I9070/P without JTAG or Riffbox (same as Adam Outler, TheBeano, Odia etc... 's project "let's save some bricks")
Reminder : fully bricked = no download/recovery mode, no display, not charging, not going to recovery with a 301k Ohm jig.

I have a fully bricked I9070P and a fully functionnal I8090 (same processor).

Based on the sources and tools for the U8500 that were disclosed in january, I've managed to make my dead phone and my PC talk "a bit" together (under Windows with the VSIW tool, and under linux with recompiling the "flashkit" tools): when plugged in and inserting the battery, the tool sees the terminal, gets its serial number and various data and fails while trying to send and execute a boot file because the terminal closes the USB port.

I've managed to get a certain degree of communication with the "riff" tool (open source) of the Snowball project too (the dev board based on a U9500).

Based on this half successes, I'm pretty sure we are close to a clean solution to revive a fully bricked terminal without soldering JTAG.

Here are the main docs I've read so far :
* most posts from the threads "let's save some bricks" and "fun with resistors"
* the reference documents of the I9070 (Samsung_GT-I9070_Galaxy_S_Advance_Galaxy_S_II_Lite_service_ma nual.rar)
* the reference manual of the U9500 (http://www.calao-systems.com/reposit...anual_rev1.pdf)
* TSU6111 datasheet from TI (the USB/UART switch the 9070 is using, cf the service manual -> Lite Schematics -> u-USB SW IC part)
* lots of docs from the "flashkit" sources

My setup :
* a fully bricked I9070P
* a fully working I8190P
* an 8GB SDCard
* a Windows/Linux workstation (Ubuntu 12.04LTS + Android compiling environment + disclosed sources)
* terminal emulators
* a Prolific cable (PL2303) (any USB to TTL adapter would do it, you can buy one for 3$ as Arduino accessory, or reuse a Nokia DKU 5 -see hackaday website for a link). Take care with Prolifics : they don't work under Windows 8 with the last driver, you have to use the version before, Google is your friend)
* a set of resistors
* a multimeter
* libusb win32 drivers setup, see sourceforge (use the tool included in the drivers package to generate the right .inf file for the U8500 (or use 04CC and 8500)

Here are my conclusions so far :
* based on the Snowball docs and the U9500 spec, we don't seem to have any need to modify anything (resistors) on the mainboard to change boot sequence. The dev board does not have any switch for that and my dead I9070 and working I8190 exibit the same behaviour at bootup : the appear as a "U8500 USB ROM" for a seconds and disconnect when going on farther in the boot sequence.
Moreover, the fact that I managed to have my dead phone talk with the flashtool confort me in the fact that we are almost done.

* I have *not* managed to get any output on my terminal with my Prolific cable plugged in with a 630kOhm resistor on the pins 4 and 5. My resistor setup might be good because it make my working I8190 boot when I plug it in.
But I'm not sure of my RX/TX setup, I have crossed the RX/TX of the phone and the ones of the Prolific but I might have been wrong identifying the pins of my modified USB plug (D+ and D-).
But I'm sure the RX and TX wires of my Prolific are the right ones : when I connect them together (nullmodem configuration), the characters typed on my terminal are displayed.

So the main issue is : how can we have the dead phone keep the USB port open and not close it after 2 seconds?
My assumption is that it is always probing different boot methods (UART, USB, MMC etc) and then attempts to boot normaly from eMMC.

I don't know which part of the bootchain sequence I've garbaged on my I9070: IBL, PBL, SBL, PARAM? Managing to get any debug output on my console would greatly help me.

Has any of you tried to achieve something similar? If yes, could you post your setup and results?

Let's save some bricks another time!

dude did you find any solution??same problem here
3rd May 2014, 08:33 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
up up this thread.... i'm also experiencing with my s3 mini i8190 continuously disconnecting libusb-win32 driver... my phone is at deadboot and unable to resurrect with RIFFBOX...
3rd May 2014, 09:47 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 76

540 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilPD_07

up up this thread.... i'm also experiencing with my s3 mini i8190 continuously disconnecting libusb-win32 driver... my phone is at deadboot and unable to resurrect with RIFFBOX...

Mebay u have dead mini USB port in SIII mini ?

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk
5th May 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

24 posts
Hi guys,

I had a little time playing with this, but I have good news :
I modified the default profile used for the flashtool backend to "ADL boot" : my "dead" phone now stays connected to the USB and is reported as "started" by the flashtool CLI ("flash-tool get_connected_equipments") however, when I try some "active" flash-tool CLI commands, the backend crashes.
As I was running it either in windows 8.1 64 bits or Linux in a VM, their might have some bad interactions with the OS on the one hand and the USB port forwarding on the other hand (there was issues with the LCD and LCM drivers in Windows, I grabbed the 64 bits ones from VSIW...).
-> I have to test on a 32 bit Windows.

Good to read to understand further (extracted from flash-tool-backend.html file) :
Note : ME stands for mobile equipment, "boot indication" can take the following values : ADL, ALT, Normal, Production, Programming : set into the config files pointed by the .mesp file)

Boot process description

When the peripheral boot sequence starts, the ME sends an asic id to the connected PC tool. The PC tool then answers with a boot indication. If normal, "ADL" or "production" is sent as boot indication; this means that the x-loader will start the binary software stored at the corresponding location in the boot image (based on the location stated by the TOC). If programming is used as boot indication, the PC will send a completely new set of boot code to the ME. This is used when a loader is downloaded during service mode startup via the Flash Tool Backend. When the normal boot indication is sent, Flash Tool backend sends no more data and the ME is booted with the binary software stored in the place where the normal software is stored according to the TOC.

The ADL boot scenario works like this:
1. Flash Tool Backend receives asic id
2. Boot indication ADL is sent
3. Flash tool backend starts LCD and LCM and waits for a loader startup message.

The loader is stored at the ADL location of the boot image (this is supported by the assemble tool).

I think I'd have to assemble the correct bootloader to enable "profile-STE_DBX500_flashloader.prfl" profile to work (we are missing corresponding loader.ldr loader). It would enable the use of the "LoaderCommunication"
I think I have all the pieces and the docs (we even have the certificates to sign it !): just need time and a better GFAF (Girlfriend acceptance factor).

The guys who managed to unbrick some Qualcomm based devices might be of a huge help, they would be much more efficient than I can be... I any of you have time to drive them around here, do not hesitate!

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to flentus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2014, 09:29 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
Quote:

Hi guys,

I had a little time playing with this, but I have good news :
I modified the default profile used for the flashtool backend to "ADL boot" : my "dead" phone now stays connected to the USB and is reported as "started" by the flashtool CLI ("flash-tool get_connected_equipments") however, when I try some "active" flash-tool CLI commands, the backend crashes.
As I was running it either in windows 8.1 64 bits or Linux in a VM, their might have some bad interactions with the OS on the one hand and the USB port forwarding on the other hand (there was issues with the LCD and LCM drivers in Windows, I grabbed the 64 bits ones from VSIW...).
-> I have to test on a 32 bit Windows.

Good to read to understand further (extracted from flash-tool-backend.html file) :
Note : ME stands for mobile equipment, "boot indication" can take the following values : ADL, ALT, Normal, Production, Programming : set into the config files pointed by the .mesp file)

Boot process description

When the peripheral boot sequence starts, the ME sends an asic id to the connected PC tool. The PC tool then answers with a boot indication. If normal, "ADL" or "production" is sent as boot indication; this means that the x-loader will start the binary software stored at the corresponding location in the boot image (based on the location stated by the TOC). If programming is used as boot indication, the PC will send a completely new set of boot code to the ME. This is used when a loader is downloaded during service mode startup via the Flash Tool Backend. When the normal boot indication is sent, Flash Tool backend sends no more data and the ME is booted with the binary software stored in the place where the normal software is stored according to the TOC.

The ADL boot scenario works like this:
1. Flash Tool Backend receives asic id
2. Boot indication ADL is sent
3. Flash tool backend starts LCD and LCM and waits for a loader startup message.

The loader is stored at the ADL location of the boot image (this is supported by the assemble tool).

I think I'd have to assemble the correct bootloader to enable "profile-STE_DBX500_flashloader.prfl" profile to work (we are missing corresponding loader.ldr loader). It would enable the use of the "LoaderCommunication"
I think I have all the pieces and the docs (we even have the certificates to sign it !): just need time and a better GFAF (Girlfriend acceptance factor).

The guys who managed to unbrick some Qualcomm based devices might be of a huge help, they would be much more efficient than I can be... I any of you have time to drive them around here, do not hesitate!

Enjoy!

Any good updates & tested solution sir? I'm still waiting for a big solution for this kind of problem... TIA
14th May 2014, 09:24 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

24 posts
Hi !

well, I'm almost done with the bootloaders: I have a loader.ldr compiled + 2 bin.

I've reset my dev. env. to an Ubuntu 10.04 according to a .doc I found in the sources (search for "*.doc", you will find "getting_Started_with_Android_and_Linux.doc"): I now have far less compilation errors, but I'm still struggling to get the full compilation process just right. For eg. I had to remove the "alsactrl" component due to dependency issues I've not been able to solve.

As already stated, I'm far from being a dev. expert so it takes me a lot of time to acheive the right compilation.

I would highly need the help of s/b who is fluent with Android compilation/dev env.: first it would be necessary to establish how to merge correctly the disclosed sources with Google's sources + the open sources from Samsung (kernel + system) (we have duplicates here as the kernel is also available in the disclosed sources, but both are different releases).

As already stated, given the few spare tile I have and without the help of the right people this will take me ~4 months+ to have this unbrick done (if I face no deadlock).
So, if you want this faster: get the right guys on the forum (from the "dev" branches) and drag them here so we can go forward much faste!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flentus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th June 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

24 posts
Hi!

So, I think I'm getting close: I now have the boot files build procedure working (+kernel and sytem, but I don't need those).

When I try to boot my phone with those boot files using the "flasher -tXXXX -X0,normal.bin" command, it seems that they are rejected as the phone connects and disconnects (boot loop on the iRom startup, I believe).
So, now I really need to have some kind of debug console setup to understand what's going on (cause of rejection, like signature problem etc...):

I've been working blindly up to now hopping that the software would work "off the shelves"... it never does

I'll have to try to understand how the "trigger UART" parameter of flashkit backend works and what is it intended to (I'll have to read the code for that as I've never seen any explanation about it anywhere in the docs). I don't figure out how this could work as on the backend GUI it lists the host PC's serial ports...

Another option would be to have my FTDI debug setup working. Maybe it's not "another option" but is required if the "trigger UART" is just enabling UART debug on the phone and requires a debug cable to read these debug data. My problem in that case would be how to have USB *and* UART on the same port... unless all this is designed for dev targets that have 2 USB ports as the Calao's u8500 targets. In that case, i'd have to find something smarter

As usual, if someone with knownledge on all this is willing to help: wave your hand, I'd happy to share my researches and go forward much faster. But I really feel I'm alone on this (even if I know that there will be tons of leechers when/if I manage to have this work
That's life on XDA!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flentus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th June 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #9  
Tepeng
Thanks Meter: 2

7 posts
More
Thumbs up Nice nice
Quote:

Hi!

So, I think I'm getting close: I now have the boot files build procedure working (+kernel and sytem, but I don't need those).

When I try to boot my phone with those boot files using the "flasher -tXXXX -X0,normal.bin" command, it seems that they are rejected as the phone connects and disconnects (boot loop on the iRom startup, I believe).
So, now I really need to have some kind of debug console setup to understand what's going on (cause of rejection, like signature problem etc...):

I've been working blindly up to now hopping that the software would work "off the shelves"... it never does

I'll have to try to understand how the "trigger UART" parameter of flashkit backend works and what is it intended to (I'll have to read the code for that as I've never seen any explanation about it anywhere in the docs). I don't figure out how this could work as on the backend GUI it lists the host PC's serial ports...

Another option would be to have my FTDI debug setup working. Maybe it's not "another option" but is required if the "trigger UART" is just enabling UART debug on the phone and requires a debug cable to read these debug data. My problem in that case would be how to have USB *and* UART on the same port... unless all this is designed for dev targets that have 2 USB ports as the Calao's u8500 targets. In that case, i'd have to find something smarter

As usual, if someone with knownledge on all this is willing to help: wave your hand, I'd happy to share my researches and go forward much faster. But I really feel I'm alone on this (even if I know that there will be tons of leechers when/if I manage to have this work
That's life on XDA!

U R great man..UP UP UP
17th June 2014, 02:05 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

24 posts
use UART debug on USB
This will help me, I'll test it on my working S3 mini (same proc and very similar HW)... when I have time...
-> this will validate my UART debug setup : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2100809

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread