Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,023 Members 44,098 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HELP] Still having signal issues

Tip us?

PostMeridianLyf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Default [HELP] Still having signal issues

I'm on virgin 3.1.2 and I'm still habit the same issues. When I turn my screen back on after letting the phone sit for an hour I start getting every notification that should have came in when the screen was off. My phone says im on mk2 modem but I still only have 2 bars of lte like like I had on MDL. Also my bootloader says write protection enabled, is this stopping me from. Getting my modem flashed correctly?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Harmtan2
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostMeridianLyf View Post
I'm on virgin 3.1.2 and I'm still habit the same issues. When I turn my screen back on after letting the phone sit for an hour I start getting every notification that should have came in when the screen was off. My phone says im on mk2 modem but I still only have 2 bars of lte like like I had on MDL. Also my bootloader says write protection enabled, is this stopping me from. Getting my modem flashed correctly?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
Flashing of MDL wont magically make your signal better. Might help with consistency and other things, but it won't make your bars go up. With the new TW update on 4.4.2 samsung has manipulated the signal to make it look better, but you're not actually getting a better LTE signal, it's just telling you the bars of your HSPA signal to make it look better. As far as the MK2 vs MDL modem, it wont make your LTE signal boost either, it will just make your signal not drop so often. Signal has more to do with the tower distance and type of frequency its using than software on the phone. Hope this clears a couple things up for ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmtan2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PostMeridianLyf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
I get good speeds, just always only shows 2 bars. Sometimes I will watch it go from lte to 4g then 3g then the signals dissappear and I lose all signal for a few seconds. Then it comes back to lte.

Not worried about it now , tmobile sent me a replacement phone and even on stock it has the same signal.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

serio22
Old
Thanks Meter 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmtan2 View Post
With the new TW update on 4.4.2 samsung has manipulated the signal to make it look better, but you're not actually getting a better LTE signal, it's just telling you the bars of your HSPA signal to make it look better.
I don't think its showing the hspa signal, I've had 3 hspa phones in about as many years and the number of bars showing is not the same like my other phones.. I'm not saying they didn't manipulate it because I tested it and compared dBm signal strength when i first updated to KK and its the same as I've always gotten, it just reports higher bars, my s3 shows 3 bars, my s4 5 bars, both on hspa and same exact dBm signal

Harmtan2
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22 View Post
I don't think its showing the hspa signal, I've had 3 hspa phones in about as many years and the number of bars showing is not the same like my other phones.. I'm not saying they didn't manipulate it because I tested it and compared dBm signal strength when i first updated to KK and its the same as I've always gotten, it just reports higher bars, my s3 shows 3 bars, my s4 5 bars, both on hspa and same exact dBm signal

Depends on which HSPA signal it's reading. Sammy may have programmed it to read the 1900 signal rather than the 1700 signal which will report higher signal strength. I've compared the bars of one of the phones in the local store here in town, and the bars of the hspa coresponded with the dbm on the other phone when I forced it into wcdma only mode.