Post Reply

[Q] How to enable UMS/Mass storage mode??

OP prasannapmv

3rd July 2012, 05:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 218
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Yesterday I made a custom usb Y cable and connected it to a USB OTG adapter to our phone and supplied a external +5v power then connected USB keyboard and mouse both worked.
But when i tried connecting my pen drive it did not shown any sign of life.

I searched and narrowed these methods:
http://www.chinadigitalcomm.com/how-...ves-t1865.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1334444
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=997187

According to these two methods I should get sda1 and sda 2 in dev/block after connecting a USB pen drive but that is not happening.
Then I searched and found out that our kernel should have UMS enabled to mount any usb storage device as stated here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44&postcount=3

I am really confused now, I know I have enabled USB Host mode as usb mouse and keyboard are working but dont know how to modify our kernel to get usb pen drive work.
Last edited by prasannapmv; 3rd July 2012 at 05:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to prasannapmv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2012, 07:16 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Brighton, MI
Thanks Meter: 593
 
1,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasannapmv

Yesterday I made a custom usb Y cable and connected it to a USB OTG adapter to our phone and supplied a external +5v power then connected USB keyboard and mouse both worked.
But when i tried connecting my pen drive it did not shown any sign of life.

I searched and narrowed these methods:
http://www.chinadigitalcomm.com/how-...ves-t1865.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1334444
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=997187

According to these two methods I should get sda1 and sda 2 in dev/block after connecting a USB pen drive but that is not happening.
Then I searched and found out that our kernel should have UMS enabled to mount any usb storage device as stated here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44&postcount=3

I am really confused now, I know I have enabled USB Host mode as usb mouse and keyboard are working but dont know how to modify our kernel to get usb pen drive work.

you won't be able to modify our kernel with our locked bootloader, but your problem could be elsewhere. the drive requires more power than a mouse or keyboard, so it just may not be getting enough. will your power supply give a full 500mA that is what a normal usb port gives, and is probably overkill for a flash drive, but it would prove whether that is the problem or not.

Does the drive have a light on it that usually turns on when you plug it in? if so, does it come on when you plug it in with your splitter into the phone.

It may be that it is just not supported on our phone, but I think a power problem is much more likely.

EDIT: once you think it is getting power, check for it in /dev/block by running this in terminal emulator. you can check before and after to see what changes, if anything in case it is not named /sdxx
Code:
ls /dev/block
Last edited by lkrasner; 3rd July 2012 at 07:19 PM.
3rd July 2012, 07:20 PM   |  #3  
jimbridgman's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 3,147
 
2,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrasner

you won't be able to modify our kernel with our locked bootloader, but your problem could be elsewhere. the drive requires more power than a mouse or keyboard, so it just may not be getting enough. will your power supply give a full 500mA that is what a normal usb port gives, and is probably overkill for a flash drive, but it would prove whether that is the problem or not.

Does the drive have a light on it that usually turns on when you plug it in? if so, does it come on when you plug it in with your splitter into the phone.

It may be that it is just not supported on our phone, but I think a power problem is much more likely.

EDIT: once you think it is getting power, check for it in /dev/block by running this in terminal emulator. you can check before and after to see what changes, if anything in case it is not named /sdxx

Code:
ls /dev/block

That is right, our phone does not provide power on the usb connection, it is a one way charge only, no matter which cable you use, it is an issue with moto's implementation of the USB protocol.

---EDIT---

I do think that I read that someone was able to get it working by using a powered usb hub attached in between the A2 and the usb device. WARNING some assembly/dis-assembly was required!
Last edited by jimbridgman; 3rd July 2012 at 07:23 PM.
3rd July 2012, 07:24 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Brighton, MI
Thanks Meter: 593
 
1,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman

That is right, our phone does not provide power on the usb connection, it is a one way charge only, no matter which cable you use, it is an issue with moto's implementation of the USB protocol.

devices do work as long as you provide external power, which is what he has done. basically you cut the power wires out of the cable and hook them up to a power supply, thus givng the power and giving the data to the phone. Since it supports host mode, it SHOULD work with a flash drive as well as mice, I have heard of people doing it.
3rd July 2012, 08:14 PM   |  #5  
jimbridgman's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 3,147
 
2,269 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrasner

devices do work as long as you provide external power, which is what he has done. basically you cut the power wires out of the cable and hook them up to a power supply, thus givng the power and giving the data to the phone. Since it supports host mode, it SHOULD work with a flash drive as well as mice, I have heard of people doing it.

I know this does not explain it, but it is mentioned that a powered hub is needed.... This person was thinking of making basically a DIY HD doc, and there was someone else on here that has done it too, but I can't find that post and I can't remember the users name.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1462541

A cheap hub will do the job much better, and I have heard of other users having trouble with the otg cable and usb storage.

Just more information to think about and look into.
3rd July 2012, 08:37 PM   |  #6  
mtnlion's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag in the mountains of south east tennessee
Thanks Meter: 313
 
805 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Try this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ickmount&hl=en

Motorola lied and I'm still locked mb865
4th July 2012, 03:47 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 218
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
I've tried every single thing that I can to make Usb flash drive work but its something in our software that is restricting it detect any of my storage devices.

I saw one more thread yesterday it was for XOOM which says kernel has to be modified in order to get usb Drives work:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1068999

I now understand that with locked bootloader it will not be possible to modify the kernel so i am abandoning this project and hope we find a way to unlock bootloader soon in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to prasannapmv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2012, 01:20 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
You can try by using a self powered hub which provide power to devices, If it works do post the results as I am also looking forward to use USB HOST feature
29th March 2013, 03:09 AM   |  #9  
Rebelj12a's Avatar
Member
Flag Wausau
Thanks Meter: 18
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1989

You can try by using a self powered hub which provide power to devices, If it works do post the results as I am also looking forward to use USB HOST feature

Ive done this. I have a powerd usb hub, otg cable hooked up and it does not recognize drives or mice. None of it is working. Beginning to think there is not a way to make this work.
29th March 2013, 04:55 AM   |  #10  
duchski's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34
 
328 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2005
More
Re: [Q] How to enable UMS/Mass storage mode??
It does work when you connect pen drive to lapdock so its not software/firmware/kernel issue.
Easy solution: buy a lapdock or a media dock with usb ports and connect your drive there.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes