Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,137 Members 49,921 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon Galaxy Note 3 - BAD ESN with T-Mobile

Tip us?

ttav9216
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Verizon Galaxy Note 3 - BAD ESN with T-Mobile

I purchased a Verizon Galaxy Note 3 from a guy off Craiglist and checked the ESN, it was clean then and I proceeded to use with T-Mobile. Everything was working fine, HSPA and such. But now, after waking up, the phone has not signal, so I went online to check to see if anything happened to the ESN, and noticed it now has changed from Good to Bad. I've tried to contact the guy but no response.
I tried to remove the sim and inserted it in a different phone and everything was fine.

Is there anyway I can still use the Verizon Galaxy Note 3 with T-Mobile even though the ESN is bad?
I've tried to change the APN settings (epc.tmobile.com) and even (fast.t-mobile.com) on the device but nothing is working for me. It keeps showing No Service - Selected Network (T-Mobile) not available.

The device model is SM-N900V, Android 4.3.

Please help !
The Following User Says Thank You to ttav9216 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmichaels1982
Old
Thanks Meter 258
Waw I did not think that happened . he called the phone lost stolen after he sold it . sorry this happened to you . did you call up Verizon to explain the situation ?, they are the ones that issued the lock on the ESN They might be able to help . please keep is posted
Ask not what your developer can do for you, ask what you can do for your developer.

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

raginmonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttav9216 View Post
I purchased a Verizon Galaxy Note 3 from a guy off Craiglist and checked the ESN, it was clean then and I proceeded to use with T-Mobile. Everything was working fine, HSPA and such. But now, after waking up, the phone has not signal, so I went online to check to see if anything happened to the ESN, and noticed it now has changed from Good to Bad. I've tried to contact the guy but no response.
I tried to remove the sim and inserted it in a different phone and everything was fine.

Is there anyway I can still use the Verizon Galaxy Note 3 with T-Mobile even though the ESN is bad?
I've tried to change the APN settings (epc.tmobile.com) and even (fast.t-mobile.com) on the device but nothing is working for me. It keeps showing No Service - Selected Network (T-Mobile) not available.

The device model is SM-N900V, Android 4.3.

Please help !
You may also want to try to set your network settings to global rather than to lte. For some reason, if you have it set to global it uses a different radio and will work just fine on tmobile.

ttav9216
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaels1982 View Post
Waw I did not think that happened . he called the phone lost stolen after he sold it . sorry this happened to you . did you call up Verizon to explain the situation ?, they are the ones that issued the lock on the ESN They might be able to help . please keep is posted
I have called both T-Mobile and Verizon.

I called Verizon first to explain the situation and the representative transferred me to Tech Support, and then the Tech Support asked me for the ESN, which I gave him. He then told that indeed the ESN is bad, but he could not find the reason why. He recommended me to call T-Mobile.
I then called T-Mobile and told them about the situation. It's funny because for reasons T-Mobile found out that the reason ESN is bad is because, exactly what you said, the phone has been reported lost/stolen. The phone is now blocked from accessing any US carriers. The representative from T-Mobile told me that Verizon was the one who put the lock on it, so I would need to call Verizon to get the problem fixed.
I called Verizon again, and this time, I spoke with a really friendly representative, she listened to the whole situation, and tried to fix the problem for me. She even tried to look up the phone numbers that I used to contact the guy with. But unfortunately, none would work. I feel really bad because she tried all she could. The conversation went on for almost an hour.

Long story short, the phone is now locked from being able to use with any US carriers. I'm stuck with a very expensive brick. Both T-Mobile and Verizon could not do anything about my situation. Pretty frustrated now.

Learned my lesson, I will never buy any phones from anyone on Craiglist ever again !

jmichaels1982
Old
Thanks Meter 258
Certain people will buy it for parts . dont give up on selling it . try swappa next time . they have PayPal protection . although anyone can do what just happened to you . to protect yourself against this in the future : put the phone under your account either by calling or in a verizon store . I believe that once the ESN is registered under your name they can't report it lost or stolen . popping the Sim in , I think , without calling just puts the phone on your account but doesent register the ESN . these are all.just speculations . I could be way off. There is a verizon rep on these forums . he is very friendly ... Look up his forum and ask away !
Ask not what your developer can do for you, ask what you can do for your developer.

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

bursthead
Old
Thanks Meter 4
It's unfortunate. I had a friend who ran into the same thing about two months ago with a note 2 on verizon. Not to mention I had been scammed on an ATT phone. Unfortunately att phones they dont block the phone for a couple hours, so when I was purchasing the phone I was able to make a test call then I got blocked in the morning. This was few months after tmobile, att and verizon instituted that co-network nationwide ban.

I'm not sure if it would help, but next time it might be a good idea to do a transaction instore. Possibly having one of the employees transfer over the phone and issuing a new sim card, might deter the would be thief from doing an insurance claim. Since you would be able to prove that you did everything in store, hopefully with the aid/witness of the verizon rep that helped you.

holyking
Old
(Last edited by holyking; 5th January 2014 at 02:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
You can use blacklsted note 3 on att and t-mobile. However, u need to add apn into the phone yourself in order to get data. I don't need you need to root it or not to change it. Go switch to GSM I think there people who able to get lte on T-mobile in band 4 , but i don't know how. I had a blacklisted note 3 currently running on ATT. Only get H+ .
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2582747

bftb0
Old
(Last edited by bftb0; 5th January 2014 at 05:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 796
I wonder what could be the motivation of a seller to report a phone stolen after selling it? Fraudulent insurance claim afterwards? Or maybe it was a stolen phone but the owner was out of town and was unaware of the theft? (Strange scenario.) Or maybe Verizon blacklists phones for non-payment on an account?

Sorry this happened to you, but I am sort of curious if you got a "too good to be true" deal off of CL... do you mind me asking how much you paid for a $700 phone?

Performing the sale right in a carrier's retail store with an immediate account transfer does seem to be a really good idea - if the seller gets cold feet about that, you'll know that things are not on the up and up.
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

rodwerx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
A sure fix is replacing the motherboard with one from a shattered unit.
Check the IMEI number before purchasing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
HTC Touch Pro * Alltel *

ROM: Changes Regularly!! | Radio: 1.03.09v Verizon | PRL: ? | PRI: ?

Nikon5400
Old
(Last edited by Nikon5400; 14th March 2014 at 11:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginmonkey View Post
You may also want to try to set your network settings to global rather than to lte. For some reason, if you have it set to global it uses a different radio and will work just fine on tmobile.
Did OP try this?