Xperia Neo - Becoming a *pure* Linux box
First of all, I've been "read only mode" for a long time on XDA forums looking for rooting, unlock, and so many other things, but it hasn't been until now that I really need some help from real proffessionals from Android scene (given the fact that i need some android knowledge I lack
I'll try to explain what I need to do, and hopefully someone will be able to help me find the right forum where i can post it, and maybe join me in my adventure! (I was tempted to create the thread in "Xperia Neo Android development", but I'm not sure its the right place, given the fact that i'm talking about almost "pure" linux here)
I changed my 3 neo phones , so I had 3 spare android phones to make some R&D. So I split my boot.img, recreated a minimal initrd, rejoined with android 2.6.32 kernel and flashed it.
Simultaneously bootstrapped a debian 7 into an sd card, and pointed initrd "init" call to the debian, so it booted linux.
Needless to say, getting modules and wifi working was such a pain, because debug (without fbcon working on that kernel) was based in: boot kernel / extract sd from mobile / insert sd on pc / analyze logs / understand why it wont boot...
Finally it worked, and now I have a 1ghz "debian 7" box, with ~ 380MB ram, ready for everything.
WIP - Need help here! :
- Getting some drivers working on linux (mainly battery charger, so it can be a "small server")
- HDMI driver, so can be carried on pocket and connected to TV, keyboard and mouse.
- Freedreno driver for Xorg. (out of time, need to compile or cross-compile)
- Mainline kernel 3.4 rc already contains MSM driver, so perhaps could change to a full linux kernel, but I think its not needed
- Recompile current kernel decreasing protected memory (is it saved for camera bursts?) so we can have more than 380MB effective.
- Cpufreq, so cpu is working at 100mhz when idle
- Wifi module from Texas instruments, ported "as-is" from android filesystem
- Battery level decrease being broadcasted to syslog (but unable to charge...)
So please if any mod can move it to the right place, i'd be very happy
PS: If someone wants some info, ask and i will develop a longer answer.