Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,308 Members 49,637 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OTA Update for rooted g pad

Tip us?

goldengutz13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default OTA Update for rooted g pad

Hi!
Has anyone installed the update OTA on a rooted g pad?
Is it safe to do it or it's not possible?
How can I install the update if I am rooted and keep my root?

muiriddin
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengutz13 View Post
Hi!
Has anyone installed the update OTA on a rooted g pad?
Is it safe to do it or it's not possible?
How can I install the update if I am rooted and keep my root?
I have seen people reporting problems in other threads here on XDA. Here in the US they haven't yet released the OTA update. If this is anything like my experience with my phone (a GS3). OTA update of a factory rom when rooted often does seem to cause problems. The only device I haven't had problems with taking an OTA when rooted were a Nexus device (Nexus 7) and something running CyanogenMod.

goldengutz13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by muiriddin View Post
I have seen people reporting problems in other threads here on XDA. Here in the US they haven't yet released the OTA update. If this is anything like my experience with my phone (a GS3). OTA update of a factory rom when rooted often does seem to cause problems. The only device I haven't had problems with taking an OTA when rooted were a Nexus device (Nexus 7) and something running CyanogenMod.
so I have to unroot it first, install update then root again?

Dekxster
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I have a related question - how to unroot and install OTA??

I tried to install, but it didnīt work, tablet said thereīs no OTA for rooted devices.

I unrooted using SuperSU, but the situation is still the same.

muiriddin
Old
(Last edited by muiriddin; 9th April 2014 at 06:02 PM.) Reason: fixed minor punctuation issues
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekxster View Post
I have a related question - how to unroot and install OTA??

I tried to install, but it didnīt work, tablet said thereīs no OTA for rooted devices.

I unrooted using SuperSU, but the situation is still the same.
I used the LG Support Tool method which involves putting the tablet into download mode and doing the update recovery procedure in the LG Support Tool. This (after a long download process) should result in a tablet which is identical to what came in the box. (in the US the procedure currently installs 4.2.2). When it finished the download and install, it reboots the tablet, if you then are stuck in a boot loop, simply do the key combination for a factory reset and it then should boot.

The unroot procedure via SuperSU does seem to leave something behind that the OTA still detects...

If you need further details I have another post in one of these threads detailing exactly what I did...

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengutz13 View Post
so I have to unroot it first, install update then root again?
That is what I plan on doing once the US version is released, however it is potentially a little more complicated since I have heard that LG has patched the LOKI vulnerability which means no custom roms or custom recovery until a new boot loader vulnerability is found, or until you revert to the original boot loader instead of the new one in the 4.4.2 release (if possible)...
The Following User Says Thank You to muiriddin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Subtleone
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by muiriddin View Post
That is what I plan on doing once the US version is released, however it is potentially a little more complicated since I have heard that LG has patched the LOKI vulnerability which means no custom roms or custom recovery until a new boot loader vulnerability is found, or until you revert to the original boot loader instead of the new one in the 4.4.2 release (if possible)...
Nah. You can bet that within 48 hours after the US version is released, there will be a flashable build available with root and recovery.
Phone - LG G2

ROM - OptimusRs Pro 2 Rom For LG G2 V4.3

Tablet - LG G Pad 8.3

ROM - V50018a (leaked KitKat) with improved gamma values

muiriddin
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtleone View Post
Nah. You can bet that within 48 hours after the US version is released, there will be a flashable build available with root and recovery.
True, more than likely a flash-able version will exist once someone makes it.

willzrocking
Old
Thanks Meter 11
It already has a work around for loki by reinstalling the old aboot
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2698267

Just do steps 2 and 3.

Works fine on mine

Sent from my LG-V500 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to willzrocking For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Trunkam
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I upgraded Via OTA my rooted lgpad and when it rebooted... stuck in recovery.
So i had to flash with lg tool.

I did not lose any data but a bit of time.
My suggestion is to flash with lg tool and then root again.

sent from tablet
I'm only a standard user with standard needs and can give standard help!
google is the way most of the times!

crashDebug
Old
(Last edited by crashDebug; 10th April 2014 at 07:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 32
I think the issue with this procedure is the recovery / bootloader, not the rooting itself. Still, you will most likely end with an unbootable OS. You are better off flashing via recovery a perfectly stock, pre-rooted image, like this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2707363
3210 (still alive and well) > 7110 (sold) > 6600 (sold) > 6600 (sold) > n70 (still alive and well) > hd (sold) > streak (alive but broken) > sensation xe (sold) > nexus S (sold) > desire (sold) > nexus 4 + g pad