Boot loader

OP limyuyang

3rd April 2014, 11:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Android Planet
Thanks Meter: 227

642 posts
More
Hi guys. I'm new to xperia x8. And I read some of the ROM's thread, and the dev says the bootloader have to be unlocked to flash the ROM. Is this true ? So my question is do I have to unlock my bootloader ? How do I know whether my phone is sim lock or not ? My device is Xperia X8 E15i.

And here's my device.

Thank you.
Last edited by limyuyang; 3rd April 2014 at 11:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to limyuyang For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #2  
Flag Mexico City
Thanks Meter: 205

278 posts
Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Costume ROMs for Stock Kernel
Quote:
Originally Posted by limyuyang

Hi guys. I'm new to xperia x8. And I read some of the ROM's thread, and the dev says the bootloader have to be unlocked to flash the ROM. Is this true ? So my question is do I have to unlock my bootloader ? How do I know whether my phone is sim lock or not ? My device is Xperia X8 E15i.

And here's my device.

Thank you.

The reason to Unlock the Bootloader is that you are able to Flash a Costume Kernel. There are ROMs for Costume Kernel as well as for Stock Kernel(The Kernel your phone already has). The only problem is that if you are on Stock Kernel (Locked Bootloader) you are only able to upgrade to Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread. If you want to upgrade to Android 4.0.1 ICS or higher you will need a Costume kernel and there for have to Unlock your Bootloader. I don't recommend for you to try to Unlock your Bootloader since you phone's manufacture date is over 11W29. IDK what SIM-Locked has to do with any thing but if you want to check try inserting a SIM-Card from another Carrier to see if it works.

BTW click HERE for a list of Costume ROMs for both Costume Kernel and Stock Kernel.
Last edited by TheScriptKitty; 3rd April 2014 at 09:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScriptKitty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2014, 07:20 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Android Planet

642 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScriptKitty

The reason to Unlock the Bootloader is that you are able to Flash a Costume Kernel. There are ROMs for Costume Kernel as well as for Stock Kernel(The Kernel your phone already has). The only problem is that if you are on Stock Kernel (Locked Bootloader) you are only able to upgrade to Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread. If you want to upgrade to Android 4.0.1 ICS or higher you will need a Costume kernel and there for have to Unlock your Bootloader. I don't recommend for you to try to Unlock your Bootloader since you phone's manufacture date is over 11W29. IDK what SIM-Locked has to do with any thing but if you want to check try inserting a SIM-Card from another Carrier to see if it works.

BTW click HERE for a list of Costume ROMs for both Costume Kernel and Stock Kernel.

Alright. Thank you for your explanation. You cleared all my doubts now.

And I have one last question, so let's say I want to flash this ROM ( GINGER ELITE ), it's a GB version. And that means I don't need to unlock my bootloader to flash that ROM. Whereas if I want to flash the XPERIENCE ROM ( which is based on JB ),I MUST unlock my bootloader. Am I right ?

Ps: your thread is looking good. I can consider it as an index of X8's ROMS. Great work, keep it up.
4th April 2014, 11:26 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 34

96 posts
More
Quote:

And I have one last question, so let's say I want to flash this ROM ( GINGER ELITE ), it's a GB version. And that means I don't need to unlock my bootloader to flash that ROM. Whereas if I want to flash the XPERIENCE ROM ( which is based on JB ),I MUST unlock my bootloader. Am I right ?

Ps: your thread is looking good. I can consider it as an index of X8's ROMS. Great work, keep it up.

okay 12w05 there is a paid way to unlock bootloader req in forum.... and when you are looking for a custom ROM please read the installation instructions and descriptions before installing, every deV mentions his method of installing and requirements so for your GINGER ELITE read the full thread properly it will b mention there whether it is for stock or custom kernel... diff b/w stock n custom kernels is STOCK= can flash the custom rom without unlocking boot loader. Custom kernel=required unlocked boot loader
The Following User Says Thank You to mailmyinbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2014, 12:18 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Android Planet

642 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmyinbox

okay 12w05 there is a paid way to unlock bootloader req in forum.... and when you are looking for a custom ROM please read the installation instructions and descriptions before installing, every deV mentions his method of installing and requirements so for your GINGER ELITE read the full thread properly it will b mention there whether it is for stock or custom kernel... diff b/w stock n custom kernels is STOCK= can flash the custom rom without unlocking boot loader. Custom kernel=required unlocked boot loader

Okay. Thanks.
4th April 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #6  
Flag Mexico City
Thanks Meter: 205

278 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I also want to add that if a ROM is Gingerbread it does not mean that it is for Stock Kernel. In my List, the Kernel that the ROM supports is in parenthesis. As you can see there are some Gingerbread ROMs that are only for Costume Kernel.
8th April 2014, 07:27 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Thumbs up
I am newer too. I also want to know more about it, sorry for my poor english.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread