Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,507 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CONNECTEDwear™ for Android, headphone remote controller

Tip us?

Aythamie
Old
(Last edited by Aythamie; 14th December 2010 at 05:33 AM.) Reason: added photos
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Lightbulb CONNECTEDwear™ for Android, headphone remote controller

Hi all,

A little over a year ago I finished the first part of my project: Making a (snowboard) jacket with integrated Keypad and headphones/mic.
I found this really cool company that already made products for wearable controller: www.fibretronic.com . (I am not related to this company in any way)

I bought the Keypad Sample Kit and the BTM Module (Bluetooth Module), opened my new jacket from the inside and stitched in the keypad under the sleeve. Made a design for the controls, cut it out from an adhesive piece of cloth and put it on the sleeve on the keypad. (check the pictures)
(This is the really short version, if you're interested I'll make an extended howto on instructables.com)

I finally paired the Bluetooth module with my phone (back then a SE Aino, now a HTC Desire HD), tested the controls <which work as they should> and went out snowboarding with some nice tunes.
After snowboarding I had to recharge the Bluetooth module and the phone.

That's that, now I want something cheaper and easier to use. In other words something without Bluetooth.

I then went back to the Fibretronic and noticed that they have lots of "Made For iPod/iPhone". As was the IPLX Controller (vol, prev/next, play/pause/call) that I bought, works with a standard 4-pin 3,5mm Jack.

I knew that it is iPod/iPhone compatible but didn't realize that it compatibility would be Apple exclusive...
I've recently acquired a HTC Desire HD whom also has a remote controller headset with a 4-pin 3,5mm jack. I thought it would work... Well, as expected from Apple, nothing will work that's "Made For iPod". I really h8 that fruity company.

I started looking for a solution and I found nothing. Only one option remains: writing an app that records the received signal, saves/registers it and links it to a certain function to be chosen by the user.
THIS APP WOULD MAKE ALL IPOD/IPHONE HEADSET REMOTE CONTROLLERS COMPATIBLE WITH ANDROID!

A couple things I noticed with the things that DO work with the IPLX module:
  • PLAY/PAUSE works
  • Triple click on the play button makes a call/ends call
  • Vol up/down doesn't work
  • prev track button makes a call, holding the button will call and hang up straight away
  • next track button makes a call, holding the button will call and hang up straight away

I'm not experienced in coding, so I'm seeking some wise council here on XDA:
- How can I find out how these controls work?
- How to make Android recognize the signals?
- How to make an app for this?

Any advice and ideas are welcome.
I'm going snowboarding by the start of February, so I'm hoping to have this working by then.

PS: Photos added with the working Bluetooth jacket
- http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMAG0016.jpg
- http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMAG0018.jpg
- http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMAG0022.jpg the sleeve inside out

Aythamie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Is there anyone that can help me with this issue please?

Drag-On
Old
Thanks Meter 4
free bump to a problem MANY of us want solved I think. (even with something as cheap as http://earheadphones.homepage.ph/201...control-black/ that)
Samsung Galaxy Note II
ROM: DN3

theRealDespotic
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I am also interested in seeing this move. Are there any XDA pro's out there who can provide some insight, work-arounds etc?
I have the Klipsch S4i headphones and I LOVE them. They've got the iPod controller in the headphone wire. It's a 3-button controller. This worked on my Captivate out of the box (center button for play/pause but no volume control) but since I've installed Andromeda3 it no longer works.

Seems to me that there should be a way to interpret the signal sent through the standard 3.5" plug but would require a higher level of skill than I have.

Cool implementation of the bt controls Aythamie.
The Following User Says Thank You to theRealDespotic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nodiaque
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Hello,

I know this post is hold but I don't know if you solved it. If yes, please share the answer. If not, maybe this will work:
https://market.android.com/details?i...iabutton&hl=en

It's a free app that allow a apple earphone with mic and remote to be use on android. Maybe the same code are used with yoursT
The Following User Says Thank You to nodiaque For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aythamie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks A Lot,
This app has been on hold for a long time.
Going to have a look at it.

Josephwallack
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theRealDespotic View Post
I am also interested in seeing this move. Are there any XDA pro's out there who can provide some insight, work-arounds etc?
I have the Klipsch S4i headphones and I LOVE them. They've got the iPod controller in the headphone wire. It's a 3-button controller. This worked on my Captivate out of the box (center button for play/pause but no volume control) but since I've installed Andromeda3 it no longer works.

Seems to me that there should be a way to interpret the signal sent through the standard 3.5" plug but would require a higher level of skill than I have.

Cool implementation of the bt controls Aythamie.
I HAVE THE SAME oneS! please find a haX or an app !

Mashr
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default adhesive fabric

Aythamie, I'm trying to put the connectedwear keypad to the inside of my jacket. I don't want to sew it because it will break the waterproof seal of the fabric. I'm having trouble finding glue that will stick to the silicone keypad. Also, what is "adhesive fabric"? How did you make those slick button icons? I can't use iron-on paper because the jacket is made of 100% polyester and putting a hot iron to it will ruin it. Thanks for your help.

Narmaraktuk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default PCB that translates connectedwear events

In the spirit of "better late than never" -- my solution is a custom PCB that sits between the phone and connectedwear. It translates connectedwear events into USB keyboard multimedia key events. Android eats these just fine. I cannot post outside links because this is a new account, so go to wpd.home.xs4all.nl/wearlink/ for more information.

Hope this helps some other poor soul out there.

Tags
headphones, headset, iphone, ipod, remote