Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 43,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hard to believe, liking Sense 6 over GPE

Tip us?

Zorachus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 253
Default Hard to believe, liking Sense 6 over GPE

I have had my One M8 two weeks now, LOVING this phone, and one of the selling points to me personally, was the ablity to go flash the GPE Nexus type ROM, and not be stuck on Sense. And I am a huge Nexus stock Android fan, having owned the Nexus-One, Nexus-S, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 4, but after the N4 I moved on to Samsung's Note 2, and then Galaxy S4. So last experience with stock Android was 4.1 Jellybean, haven't played with any Kit Kat builds before.

Long story short, I am liking Sense 6 way more than GPE's Kit Kat 4.4.2. and I never would have thought or expected that in a million years, being such a long time Nexus fan. I tried out two different GPE ROMs this week, and certain things in stock Kit Kat I can't stand.

- #1 the Phone dialer / Contacts, wow those suck now, why did Google change the Phone app they've had since ICS 4.0 ? I use my phone a lot to actually make calls, this new new Dialer sucks, and the Contacts is super bright white and very plane, really no features on it. I have read that a whole new Phone dialer app is coming in a upcoming 4.4.3 update. But I miss the awesome Phone app from 4.0 to 4.3, which was all Black with blue numbers, and swipe to to the right to go to contacts, etc...

- #2 the icon sizes are gigantic, like crazy huge, can't fit much on the home screen, I know a Launcher gets rid of that, but sometimes I like to run bone stock, and with those giant icons it looks weird and silly.

- #3 Battery life is definitely worse than a Sense based ROM, by a good amount IMO. My Sense based ROMs were giving me crazy good battery life, like 6h to 7h On Screen time, and total battery life of 24+ hours easily. These two GPE ROMs I tired, would only give like 4h to 5h On screen time, and maybe 15 hours total battery life.

- #4 Speed. I was always under the impression that stock Android was way faster than a UI like Sense or Touchwiz. The Sense 6 ROMs I was running were super fast and silky smooth. The GPE ROMs were also pretty quick too, but no way did not feel any faster than Sense. Just going off my own personal use, it felt like Sense was the faster UI. My point being, stock GPE Android was NOT faster or smoother, no. It was a tie, and if anything Sense won by a hair.

- #5 The look of the UI. Sense 6 has a really cool black / white / blue theme going on, and flat design, it looks really professional, and minimalistic, just smartly designed and well thought out. Where stock Kit Kat is starting to look like a Hodge podge of old Ice Cream Sandwich mixed together with the newer Google Now cards stuff, it's like stock Android can't make up it's mind, is it still Holo themed, or going for the new lighter Card style ? The menu still looks the same as from the Galaxy Nexus from 2011, but other parts look very fresh and totally different. I think we need Android 5.0 to usher in a new uniform design theme for stock Android.

To wrap this up, I am no HTC fan boy, my last HTC was the EVO 4G way back from 2010. I am really more of a Nexus stock Android guy, I guess I just don't like the Kit Kat updates from Jellybean. I was very satisfied with Jellybean. And this Sense 6 blew me away, really shocked I actually like it better than stock Android. It looks great, is smartly designed and laid out, and is super smooth / fast, with insanely good battery life. Next stock Android phone or ROM I'll run will be to wait for at least 4.4.3, and most likely the next big update with the HTC Nexus-Six this Fall.
HTC One M8 - Glacial Silver- ATT
SinLessROM GPe v3.4.1 | Google Play Edition | 4.4.4
Speck Candy Shell case

Galaxy S4 - white AT&T
Stock, no root or ROM's, thanks ATT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zorachus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

an0ther
Old
(Last edited by an0ther; 4th May 2014 at 04:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 140
I agree with you so much about the phone dialer on gpe. I had this on my nexus 5 and hated it. What were they thinking. There are so many people who love it too, but its just not for me. You can change your dpi to make icons a lot smaller on stock launcher. Looks really nice at 370 instead of 480. I prefer sense too.

Zorachus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 253
I am on my third GPE ROM now. This time running the official real ROM. Let's see how I like this ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Speck Candy Shell case

Galaxy S4 - white AT&T

iTchill
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
I am on my third GPE ROM now. This time running the official real ROM. Let's see how I like this ?

Im in the same exact position , battery life on gpe was sad compare to the sense im on golden eye right now , waiting for dev to updaye the gpe cauz i heard that an update was coming to dev edition to add the extreme power save option , we'll see
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/02...r-saving-mode/

Sent from my not samsung device using Tapatalk

Zorachus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 253
Back to InsertCoin Sense 6 based ROM, and feels like home on this phone. Just so silky smooth, with insanely good battery life. Plus running Nova launcher + icon pack, doesn't even look like a Sense phone now, but it's all Sense running behind the scenes giving me the excellent battery life and stability.

Speck Candy Shell case

Galaxy S4 - white AT&T

ricm68
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post

I need the original since I didn't backup mine! Where can I find it? I'm on an AT&T M8.
I would appreciate the help. TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

indymx
Old
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
in my pre HTC One days I tried a bunch of different roms on my various Motorola & Samsung phones, but always ended up back with either CyanogenMod or a variant of CM.

With this phone all I have really done is root, S-Off and remove some bloat and CarrierIQ.

Otherwise it's stock. I can't find a compelling reason to change.. Hell, I was even rocking the stock launcher for a couple of weeks. Didn't really mind it. I'm back to Nova for a bit just to see if I really do like it that much more. Can't decide!

CraigP17
Old
Thanks Meter 101
i agree. coming from my my Google Play Edition. the m8 and Sense just gives you so much more without sacrificing any performance.
HTC One (m8)
www.DroidMatters.com

Find me on

JayRolla
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Always ran asop roms on my Samsung's. Coming from the gs5's touchgizz this is just so nice. Got this so I could flash again and I don't need too. Stock sense it's beautiful.

zacharyt86
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Absolutely agree, loving sense 6. Only two things that drive me crazy are the vertical scrolling in the app drawer, which is fixed with a launcher, and the haptic feedback seems very very weak to me when pressing things like the keyboard and the on-screen navigation keys.