Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 39,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

M8 Screen polarizing

Tip us?

samsat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default M8 Screen polarizing

So I went into AT&T today with a view to getting the M8.
The M8 was along side the S5 and I though it strange that the screen on the S5 was so much brighter than the M8.
I went into the M8 settings to set the brightness to maximum but found it was already set.

As I turned the phone slightly sideways it suddenly got brighter.

I wear polarized glasses and in their wisdom HTC have made the polarizing of the display such that it is very dim when held in portrait mode.
This is not the case with my vivid or any other HTC phone I have owned.

Damn, I was so looking forward to getting the M8 but this of all things would be a deal breaker for me.
VIVID ICS_35..26.502.56

Touch Pro 2
Hardspl
Energy.RHODIUM.29022.Sense2.5.July 4th
Radio 4.49.25.94

HTC TyTN II
PDACorner Ultimate-X.V4 Lite
Radio: 1.71.19.09
SPL: Dave Shaw HardSPL 3.34
Previous
PDA Corner V17 Lite SPL 3.29 Hard2
Radio 1.65.24.36
Previous ROMS
Dutty WWE build 19716 (April) with Radio 1.79.09.01 and Hard-Spl 3.28
Dutty Touch V6.1 WWE
Radio 1.64.08.21
Dual Touch V6 WWE 19199
The Following User Says Thank You to samsat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bdpyo
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsat View Post
So I went into AT&T today with a view to getting the M8.
The M8 was along side the S5 and I though it strange that the screen on the S5 was so much brighter than the M8.
I went into the M8 settings to set the brightness to maximum but found it was already set.

As I turned the phone slightly sideways it suddenly got brighter.

I wear polarized glasses and in their wisdom HTC have made the polarizing of the display such that it is very dim when held in portrait mode.
This is not the case with my vivid or any other HTC phone I have owned.

Damn, I was so looking forward to getting the M8 but this of all things would be a deal breaker for me.
It's not that great out doors either

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscofranco View Post
If you can do a better job, fork my tree and compile it yourself.

TheEmpyre
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Hah, wow very interesting they did indeed polarize the display. Just went and tested myself. Being in Seattle doesn't lend itself to wearing sunglasses often but sure enough rotating the phone to landscape changes the effect.

Oh and outdoor usage isn't bad Imo just take off automatic brightness and Max it out and you're good. Automatic brightness on every Android phone I have owned has been nothing short of garbage lol. So manual adjustment is the way to go. Sorry you decided against the M8 it's a hell of a phone (coming from someone who switched from the S4)

Sent from my HTC One_M8
The Dark Ages:

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

The Revolution:

HTC One X (Sold)
Samsung Galaxy s4 (Sold)

Current: HTC One M8

samsat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmpyre View Post
Hah, wow very interesting they did indeed polarize the display. Just went and tested myself. Being in Seattle doesn't lend itself to wearing sunglasses often but sure enough rotating the phone to landscape changes the effect.

Oh and outdoor usage isn't bad Imo just take off automatic brightness and Max it out and you're good. Automatic brightness on every Android phone I have owned has been nothing short of garbage lol. So manual adjustment is the way to go. Sorry you decided against the M8 it's a hell of a phone (coming from someone who switched from the S4)

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Yes, it's a great pity. I have owned HTC devices for the last 7 or 8 years at least.

I have +2 magnifiers built into the bottom my sun glasses that I use everyday for driving and very often when I am out fly fishing.
I just happened to dash into the store this morning wearing them instead of my readers.
I would have been really unhappy if I only discovered this post purchase.
VIVID ICS_35..26.502.56

Touch Pro 2
Hardspl
Radio 4.49.25.94

HTC TyTN II
Previous
Radio 1.65.24.36
Previous ROMS
Dutty Touch V6.1 WWE
Radio 1.64.08.21
Dual Touch V6 WWE 19199

Moose3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
There might be two manufacturers for the screen? I've seen a few threads like this now.
I have no issues with any of my polarized sunglasses. Two are Maui Jim and one pair of Raybans.

Vcolassi
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I used my M8 today in the bright sun. I had no trouble seeing the screen at all. I don't wear glasses and have perfect vision though . It's much better than the AMOLED was on my Note 2.

samsat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose3 View Post
There might be two manufacturers for the screen? I've seen a few threads like this now.
I have no issues with any of my polarized sunglasses. Two are Maui Jim and one pair of Raybans.
Interesting. I think the other threads have been to do with color saturation/contrast issue variance between batches of M8's.

I think what we are dealing with here is not the display itself but the protective glass over it or a laminate which may have been applied to it.
My Vivid does not suffer from this problem at all. It would be interesting to get HTC's comment on this.
VIVID ICS_35..26.502.56

Touch Pro 2
Hardspl
Radio 4.49.25.94

HTC TyTN II
Previous
Radio 1.65.24.36
Previous ROMS
Dutty Touch V6.1 WWE
Radio 1.64.08.21
Dual Touch V6 WWE 19199

c5satellite2
Old
Thanks Meter 751
Try different sunglasses. 3 different types of polarization mostly. Horizontal, vertical, and circular. Let's say the screen is horizontally polarized and the glasses are vertical, that would yield a very dim screen. Just try turning your glasses 90 and see if that works. Instead of blaming the phone, blame your glasses, or both

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to c5satellite2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samsat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Same prescription sun glasses work fine with all my other HTC's, Iphones, Samsung and others.
They don't work fine with the M8. What conclusion would you draw?

I was just in touch with HTC "technical" support to see if there could maybe be an issue with some screens and not with others.
I cut and paste my OP for them to read. This was their response:-

"The brightness on the phone by default is set to Auto-Brightness, which actually adjusts the brightness based on the lighting in the area at the time. Depending on where you are and how much light, the screen will be dimmer or brighter."

I had already explained that the brightness was set to max and not auto, and asked if he understood how polarizing works:-

"I'm sorry, but all I can say is that the screen is designed so that it can be viewed from nearly any angle. As such, the screen very thin against the body of the phone. Which could interfere with the polarization effect."

"I'm sorry? the M8 is available in different colors. But the screen is always the same"
VIVID ICS_35..26.502.56

Touch Pro 2
Hardspl
Radio 4.49.25.94

HTC TyTN II
Previous
Radio 1.65.24.36
Previous ROMS
Dutty Touch V6.1 WWE
Radio 1.64.08.21
Dual Touch V6 WWE 19199

samsat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Today I popped into and looked M8's at both Best Buy and AT&T.
Neither had the polarizing issue that has been reported by others here and elsewhere on the web.

I took more time to compare the M8 and S5 side by side. The S5 does appear to have more usable screen space and it also has a few other things going for it. However the cover over the charging port will drive me around the bend specially having to access it every day. It is not easy to open at all unless you have long nails. Wireless charging would not work for me as I will put the phone in a rugged protective case.

So, I guess it's the M8 for me and a continued loyal HTC owner!
VIVID ICS_35..26.502.56

Touch Pro 2
Hardspl
Radio 4.49.25.94

HTC TyTN II
Previous
Radio 1.65.24.36