Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC one mini 2 with 13MP camera.... WTF????

OP 903tex

15th May 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tyler, Texas
Thanks Meter: 201

977 posts
More
Thanks HTC for bring a bigger mp camera to a phone that's suppose to be the little brother of the m8.........

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/5/15...e-in-a-trimmed
15th May 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 45

142 posts
...because we're ALWAYS complaining about the MP on our camera when we just upload the photos to instagram and fb..
The Following User Says Thank You to hattrickinc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tyler, Texas

977 posts
More
You can't say that for ALL users. A lot of people don't need a expensive camera to take pics. Especially if you want to use that pic past Facebook etc. All I'm saying is instead of adding a second camera. HTC could have added more to the m8 to help keep it from being the same camera with a second camera. End of the day 4mp camera is a 4mp camera

When I want to use my pics past loading onto social apps. I use my note 3. But if I want to use this pic to upload then yes either my m8 or note 3 will do the job just fine

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th May 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,360

7,739 posts
I'll agree that what smartphone camera is "better" depends on how you in particular use the camera. But just because a camera has more MP, does not make it "better" either. We'll have to wait and see if the camera on the One Mini 2 actually yields better quality images than the M8.

Unless you are blowing up or cropping photos a lot, 13 MP is too much and a joke for a camera phone. High MP smartphone cameras really struggle in low light. And unless you are taking pictures outdoors in broad daylight, its often low light.

I'll agree that HTC probably should not have opted for the dual camera on the M8. Kinda cool at times, but also pretty gimmicky. The money probably would have been better spent improving image quality on the single rear camera (even if not to increase the MP).
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tyler, Texas

977 posts
More
It's kinda a slap in the face to a certain degree. Here is the new m8 with the same camera with a secondary camera which is mostly gimmicky while nice at the same time. Then they decide to make the new HTC one mini from a 5 mp camera to a 13MP camera...........

Now will it have better pics? Probably not or probably so. For most people it don't matter, but after being in retail when trying to sell a customer the one the camera is its downside cause on PAPER the 4mp camera doesn't sound good at all compared to the other smartphones out in the market. People will buy the mini 2 because of it has higher mp count than the m8. While the m8 blows the mini in other specs that 13MP camera looks a lot better to somebody who doesn't care to have the latest and greatest specs.

While a higher mp count doesn't make a camera phone any better yes, but why bring the same thing to the table for your flagship but have a mid range phone with a better spec camera on paper WHEN it comes to mp count. .

Last edited by 903tex; 15th May 2014 at 10:25 PM.
15th May 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,360

7,739 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 903tex

but after being in retail when trying to sell a customer the one the camera is its downside cause on PAPER the 4mp camera doesn't sound good at all compared to the other smartphones out in the market. People will buy the mini 2 because of it has higher mp count than the m8.

Unfortunately, Average Joe is always going to fall for that marketing gimmick of chasing big numbers, without having any real understanding of what they mean. How many times have you seen someone with a fancy, big screen 1080p TV; and the owner just has a standard definition program on it; and not even in the right aspect ratio (so the picture is all stretched out to fill the screen). That kinda crap drives me crazy!

I for one applaud HTC for turning their nose up at the megapixel arms race. Its gotten absurd. I mean seriously, do we really need a smartphone with a 41 MP camera? Of course not (I understand its actually a really good camera, but not because its 41 MP).

Quote:

While a higher mp count doesn't make a camera phone any better yes, but why bring the same thing to the table for your flagship but have a mid range phone with a better spec camera on paper WHEN it comes to mp count. .

That is a really good point. Why push a certain marketing strategy (and one that particularly bucks the trend) for one device, then do nearly the exact opposite for another device.

In any case, I don't think that the Mini 2 will really compete directly with the M8. Price point alone, even the Average Joe Blow is going to know its a flagship versus a "budget" phone. Don't know about the One Mini in particular, but for the most part, any HTC phone aside from the "flagship" tends to sell in extremely low numbers. At least here in the US (don't know about other regions).
Last edited by redpoint73; 15th May 2014 at 10:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tyler, Texas

977 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Unfortunately, Average Joe is always going to fall for that marketing gimmick of chasing big numbers, without having any real understanding of what they mean. How many times have you seen someone with a fancy, big screen 1080p TV; and the owner just has a standard definition program on it; and not even in the right aspect ratio (so the picture is all stretched out to fill the screen). That kinda crap drives me crazy!

I for one applaud HTC for turning their nose up at the megapixel arms race. Its gotten absurd. I mean seriously, do we really need a smartphone with a 41 MP camera? Of course not (I understand its actually a really good camera, but not because its 41 MP).

That is a really good point. Why push a certain marketing strategy (and one that particularly bucks the trend) for one device, then do nearly the exact opposite for another device.

In any case, I don't think that the Mini 2 will really compete directly with the M8. Price point alone, even the Average Joe Blow is going to know its a flagship versus a "budget" phone. Don't know about the One Mini in particular, but for the most part, any HTC phone aside from the "flagship" tends to sell in extremely low numbers. At least here in the US (don't know about other regions).

The same reason we need 4k Tv's and 2k screen on smartphones. To keep making them money lol! Exactly why say your not going to follow the trend but all your other phones are right in the trend? Lol but HTC could have tried a little harder for the m8 speaking of the camera of course. The phone is rock solid but don't have these commercials making fun of these mp trends and being different when your other devices join right in with today's trends.

16th May 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #8  
Massachusetts and stuff
Thanks Meter: 96

580 posts
More
Some of my favorite shots have come from the camera on my M8. In terms of higher quality, I'm actually looking at the Sony G Lens, since it is supposed to take really nice shots, and is $200 at my local best buy.
17th May 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Themer
Flag Danbury
Thanks Meter: 708

3,701 posts
Donate to Me
More
Some people such as my self want a phone with camera and some prefer cameras that can be used as a phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th May 2014, 07:06 AM   |  #10  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 114

404 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You can't say that for ALL users. A lot of people don't need a expensive camera to take pics. Especially if you want to use that pic past Facebook etc. All I'm saying is instead of adding a second camera. HTC could have added more to the m8 to help keep it from being the same camera with a second camera. End of the day 4mp camera is a 4mp camera

When I want to use my pics past loading onto social apps. I use my note 3. But if I want to use this pic to upload then yes either my m8 or note 3 will do the job just fine

If I want to use my pics for something worthwhile, I use my Canon EOS.. otherwise I use a crappy phone camera.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread