Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,897 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OUYA Wireless issues with Different router types.

Tip us?

ritzt3ch
Old
(Last edited by ritzt3ch; 26th April 2014 at 03:48 AM.) Reason: typos
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] OUYA Wireless issues with Different router types.

I have bought 2 Different OUYA units and thinking this issue is currently Out there to alot of users.

Issue is when you connect via wifi (which connection is fine ) BUT when you start to download anything AKA Updates (fail) or XMBC stream/download Fail. Also during the failure it hits all devices on the wireless network. such as my laptop goes from normal 30ms Ping to 500ms ping to 20000ms ping It varries. But all devices in network Almost seems like a DDOS attack or a broadcast storm haha

64 bytes from 4.2.2.2: icmp_seq=637 ttl=58 time=49.887 ms
64 bytes from 4.2.2.2: icmp_seq=638 ttl=58 time=47.848 ms
64 bytes from 4.2.2.2: icmp_seq=645 ttl=58 time=1468.252 ms
64 bytes from 4.2.2.2: icmp_seq=646 ttl=58 time=4800.774 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 648

SCENARIOS Tested

Not working

1.) Both Ouyas Cant stream work and same issues arise when doing download updates via WiFI when connected to a ZyXel.(DSL modem 20mb)
2.) I bought a n300 Belkin router as a test which same issues are apparent when I did bridge mode from ZyXel to Belkin.
3.) Changed MTU size as a test from 1454 to 1492. no fix
4.) Disabled WPS on both routers. No fix.

Working

1.) I setup my macbook to bridge from WIFI to ethernet to the OUYA. (issue isn't apparent and doesn't blast the whole network)
2.) I setup my macbook to bridge Ethernet connection to WIFI from laptop where the router is at a few rooms away. (no issue)
3.) I took the other OUYA unit and used a Netgear AND a Dlink router And never any issue in either router setup.
4.) I connected OUYA local ethernet No issues.
5.) OUYA did work at a hotel but i wasnt sure what router model they had.

i might try a TCPDUMP and look at traces and convert the wifi to a DDWRT in attempt to see if its SW level at router types.

Also it seems other Android components are seeing the same issue with the NOT working scenario. but not sure where driver/software stack yet

FYI i also have a Tronsmart quadcore CX919 that fails and jams the WIFI the same way alsoalso when trying to sream or download and Also the tronsmart work on dlink/netgear as well.

ritzt3ch
Old
(Last edited by ritzt3ch; 28th April 2014 at 04:57 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Another test example.

i have been able to quickly get into ROOT for the Zyxel modem and go into /tmp directory and run tcpdump captures on multple interfaces And i see alot of TCP retransmissions but nothing out of the norm when i trigger the issue.

Something i did notice new. Its not like a broadcast kinda storm but I did the same test and when i try to download info from the OUYA device pings go up to 8000ms on the laptop via Wireless But when Im hard wired my laptop on the network has constant 40ms ping times.

So It seems something is jamming the wireless signal when trying to DL out. I changed multiple channels and moved to B only mode , G , N all by it self and no change. even shut down any option in the router i could think of WPS/UPNP.
Tags
ouya, slow, speed, wireless